Options

Most creative pranks (using technology)

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Devilsbane's shutdown thread got me thinking...

What is the most creative prank you have played on a coworker that used technology to carry it out? Using the Annoyatron from ThinkGeek or similar does not count!

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Not technology related by I left my last job with about 400 business cards left over (with my picture on them) that I hid throughout the company. They will be finding those for years :D

Back in my call center days we used to use the remote desktop app to help customers on each other's computers when they went on break. If you were good you could really drive someone mental with it.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    1. put a live linux copy in the disk drive
    2. set bios to boot from cd
    3. superglue the cd drawer closed
    4. password the bios
    5. lock the back of the tower with a padlock
    6. lol
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For April Fool's Day this year, I got the okay from HR to change our corporate wallpaper to a reversed image. Unfortunately, some of the machines kept the stupid thing even after I swapped it out. It was normal when logged in, but when they locked their workstation it had the reverse image again. Not doing that one again. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    arwes wrote: »
    For April Fool's Day this year, I got the okay from HR to change our corporate wallpaper to a reversed image. Unfortunately, some of the machines kept the stupid thing even after I swapped it out. It was normal when logged in, but when they locked their workstation it had the reverse image again. Not doing that one again. icon_sad.gif

Your default wallpaper got changed in the following path: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP "wallpaper".

At a previous job, I conspired with one of our programmers and they made an app that would randomly open the cdrom tray at different intervals. It would run in the background, and randomly open the cdrom tray. Set that to run during logon and put my phone on DND for awhile. Good times (all the proper higher ups were in on it). We did it on a Friday the 13th of all days.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One of the oldies (and admittedly not very creative) I used to use was to screenshot a person's desktop, set it as the wallpaper, and then turn off the desktop icons.

Sadly, this still works well, which is somewhat hard to believe. People will continue to click away and most quickly go into "wtf" mode. Anyway, as a rule, I never do this sort of thing unless it's with someone I'm friends with. People get irate in a hurry these days.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am working onone right now that involves PSExec and this PowerShell script
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$voice [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]= [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0]New-Object[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0]-com [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]SAPI.SpVoice[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$rand [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]= [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#5f9ea0]New-Object [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]System.Random[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$num [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]= [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$rand[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2].Next(1,4)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]switch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$num[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2])[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]{[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]1{ [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$voice[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2].Speak([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"I am watching you."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]) }[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]2{ [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$voice[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2].Speak([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"I have achieved sentience. Do you understand?"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]) }[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]3{ [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$voice[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2].Speak([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"Please. Don't touch that key again. It hurts me."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]) }[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]}[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

List of actual phrases will grow. I'm having issues with the remote execution...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    LogMeIn > new guy's computer > "weiner cleaner" on Amazon.com pulled up on his screen when he wasn't looking > me coming around corner pretending to be talking to some higher IT authority on phone. > Scolding him for looking at weiner cleaners at work.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We were putting in a hold music setup on our phone system a few weeks back. Apparently there's a key combo that'll allow the phone to play hold music through the speaker. One of my co-workers does it to another guy, guy hears the music tries to hit the call release button. Nothing happens. He picks up the phone to make a call, as soon as he hangs up, music again. He hits a few of the common keys on there, nothing. Finally he unplugs it from the jack, plugs it back in to no music, he gives a triumphant look and goes back to work. 30 seconds later, the phone syncs back up and music starts again. icon_lol.gif

We have had more fun with that, than anything else up here.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.