Options

Preparing for the Security+

ComputerLover1ComputerLover1 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Its been a while since I posted but I am preparing for this exam . I ordered the study guide from Amazon called CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide Darril Gibson and from the reveiws it is a good book . My question is how much prep time is needed to prepare .

Thanks

Computerlover1
Without struggles there can not be progress

Comments

• Options
    bllizzardbllizzard Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would think about 2 month if you do not have any experience, if you have will take like 1 month i guess.But why you are going for sy0-002 and not for 003.I have searched for any materials , there is 5th edition for SY0-003 but I'll have to buy can not find the pdf version anywhere.Cheers
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you can do in 6 weeks considering your certs / education. Just as long as you put forth the effort.
  • Options
    osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

My question is how much prep time is needed to prepare .

Thanks

Computerlover1
    All depends on how much you want it. I knew nothing about securing networks and systems in general, however I got it done in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say with A+ and/or Net+ already, you can get it within one month. Without previous certifications like those, then you can get it within two months of good studying and practice tests.
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???
  • Options
    Thank you for the feed back . Blizzard, I read somewhere that the newer version of security+ 301 is for those that have taken the older version which has been retired . Once I ace the 201 then I will take the 301 . September I will be taking this exam .

Good Luck to all
    Thanks Again
  • Options
    To OSJoe

Wow my hat goes off to you 3 weeks is very encouraging . Congradulations to all of you .
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    With Darril's book you can do it in 2. I got his book, read the first 5 chapters and took notes (basically writing down all the little important boxes word for word, then reading the notes before i sat down to read each new chapter). Took a week off, then did the next 5 chapters and took the test on that Friday. I did it in 3 weeks as well, though only 2 of actual studying. The book is amazing, do 1 chapter per day, reviewing notes from each of the previous before digging into each. At the end, reread your two weakest chapters. You'll do fine. In 14 days, this schedule gives you room to do each of the 10 chapters, 2 review chapters, and 2 days off so you dont get too burnt on the material.
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One may need about 2-3 weeks if one had some previous exposure to network security environment (like, you studied network security in your curriculum or done some configurations as part of your work)

For freshers, 4-6 weeks of preparation time is recommended, with 3-4 hours of study each day.

Are you using any prep tests in addition to the regular course guide?

Also checkout the free cram sheet:
    http://www.simulationexams.com/exam-cram/Securityplus-Notes.pdf

Good luck!