Options

Question 2610XM

user3476user3476 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a bit of a noobish question bought a 2610XM router and it only has 1 Ethernet interface on it the other 2 ports are console and AUX ports which obviously aren't used for networking computers

What I'm planning to do is plug the 2610XM directly into my internet connection at home and then plug other devices in from there but how do you do it if it only has 1 Ethernet port do yo have to buy another switch and create a VLAN or install a WIC card in the 2610XM?

Comments

• Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    You could use it as a router on stick, trunk to a switch - 1 vlan connects out to the Internet then another (or many) vlan(s) connect to your internal networks.
    Alternatively, get another Ethernet port for the router and have them on separate interfaces. Why do you want your lab connected to the Internet?
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    You could use it as a router on stick, trunk to a switch - 1 vlan connects out to the Internet then another (or many) vlan(s) connect to your internal networks.
    Alternatively, get another Ethernet port for the router and have them on separate interfaces. Why do you want your lab connected to the Internet?

I assumed that your suppose to connect your router to the internet to get the whole networking experience but then again this is my first Cisco cert and lab so I don't know what the standard is

So should I buy a Cisco switch or a WIC any recommendations and I'm not really sure which WIC addon card works with a 2610XM?
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Not sure that the connection to the Internet will give many good learning experience, but can't do any harm. It will mostly require static routes. However, you will be able to point your devices at real NTP sources, and DNS ser ers etc.
    Regarding a preference on the interface, router on a stick will give you some good configuration experience and from a lab perspective doesn't hold any performance issues. In the real world router on a stick can have throughput and congestion problems in comparison to multiple Interfaces or L3 switches.

Hardware wise - yes, you would need a switch for router on a stick, but you'll need switches for your studies anyway. 2950s should cut it for CCNA. As for adding Ethernet interfaces to the 2610xm, I don't think any ethernet WICs are supported; you'll need a network module - NM1E I think, but I think it's only 10meg - some of the guys on here running these routers at home will know for sure. Or check out the cisco website.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    Not sure that the connection to the Internet will give many good learning experience, but can't do any harm. It will mostly require static routes. However, you will be able to point your devices at real NTP sources, and DNS ser ers etc.
    Regarding a preference on the interface, router on a stick will give you some good configuration experience and from a lab perspective doesn't hold any performance issues. In the real world router on a stick can have throughput and congestion problems in comparison to multiple Interfaces or L3 switches.

Hardware wise - yes, you would need a switch for router on a stick, but you'll need switches for your studies anyway. 2950s should cut it for CCNA. As for adding Ethernet interfaces to the 2610xm, I don't think any ethernet WICs are supported; you'll need a network module - NM1E I think, but I think it's only 10meg - some of the guys on here running these routers at home will know for sure. Or check out the cisco website.

I think I'll probably get a 2950 switch since they look cheap enough on ebay thanks for the adv