Options

CCNA CBT Nuggets question

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I'm currently working towards taking my CCNA exam and I was wondering what everyone thought about CBT Nuggets for CCNA? The price ($399) is pretty steep, but if these videos will help me get prepared I have no problem spending the money. I just want to know if this package is worth it?

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I LOVE the CBT Nuggets. I have used them for the CCNA and the CCNP. They do not replace reading, but help a lot with it in my opinion.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    kamay44kamay44 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I LOVE the CBT Nuggets. I have used them for the CCNA and the CCNP. They do not replace reading, but help a lot with it in my opinion.

Hi, What other material did you use with the CBTnuggets for the CCNA??

Thanks
  • Options
    jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i've seen people on here say they've passed ccent with CBT nuggets, reading cisco press official certification guide, and a simulator. i have train signal's ccna and my friend got cbt nuggets' ccna so we would both have a chance to use both.

while jeremy from the cbt nuggets ccna is a little more lively, i think chris from train signal ccna is more thorough and makes it a point to give you some real world knowledge that while help you even beyond the ccna.

a lot people prefer jeremy from cbt nuggets because he makes it a little more interesting. but after you've heard the same corny line 3 or 4 times it gets annoying and you wish he would just stick with the subject and make the point already. i would rather be more prepared with chris and train signal.

look at todd lammle as well. he puts his own spin on it. after a while you notice that they all say the same things just in a different order. regardless of who you go with just make sure you're familiar with everything on cisco's "Exam Topics (Blueprint)". anyone who offers exam training material has to base their course on the blueprint.
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Here is my opinion:

I watched first 15 videos for CCNA.

Pros:

He makes the subject interesting.
    He tells some funny stories from his life related to network and it makes you excited about the topic.
    He draws diagrams which are totally useful and makes you to remember the subject so easily.
    He gives you self confident because you will be able to understand the each video at least for % 99. ( he is really good at that )

He really knows this network thing and loves teaching.

Cons.

Generally videos are lack of depth. After completing 15 videos i started to read Todd Lamlle's CCNA book and i was shocked!! I was almost sure that I know TONS of information about basic network principles, TCP/IP, UDP, ethernet technology, cabling, Cisco IOS and so on.... But I saw that i almost know nothing......

BUt the most important thing is, I understood the topics so easily at Todd's book because of my solid basic knowledge So, I mean, if you go with CBT nuggets, then you will fail. but if you go with CBT + another detailed source, here it comes = success.

I dont think that i could understand the everything so fast without CBT's teaching method. Even the basic things are so complicated at books.

And another problem is, sometimes Jeremy's life stories can be unbearable......

conclusion: His teaching method gives you super confident about the topic but he doesn't say that it is lack of depth......
  • Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    He is good but like others have said you will need at least one solid book to go along with it. I recommend Odom's book. I'm also using Cisco Exploration slides and college made ppts from school.
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I personally like Cisco Press books. They are very in depth and give you a solid understanding of the material so you can lab. :)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GOZCU wrote: »
    Here is my opinion:

I watched first 15 videos for CCNA.

Pros:

He makes the subject interesting.
    He tells some funny stories from his life related to network and it makes you excited about the topic.
    He draws diagrams which are totally useful and makes you to remember the subject so easily.
    He gives you self confident because you will be able to understand the each video at least for % 99. ( he is really good at that )

He really knows this network thing and loves teaching.

Cons.

Generally videos are lack of depth. After completing 15 videos i started to read Todd Lamlle's CCNA book and i was shocked!! I was almost sure that I know TONS of information about basic network principles, TCP/IP, UDP, ethernet technology, cabling, Cisco IOS and so on.... But I saw that i almost know nothing......

BUt the most important thing is, I understood the topics so easily at Todd's book because of my solid basic knowledge So, I mean, if you go with CBT nuggets, then you will fail. but if you go with CBT + another detailed source, here it comes = success.

I dont think that i could understand the everything so fast without CBT's teaching method. Even the basic things are so complicated at books.

And another problem is, sometimes Jeremy's life stories can be unbearable......

conclusion: His teaching method gives you super confident about the topic but he doesn't say that it is lack of depth......

You definitely hit the nail on the head on this one, mate. I definitely agree - although I haven't taken the CCNA test yet, I know that what you have said is definitely correct.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I appreciate all of the responses. I am leaning towards Train Signal versus CBT Nuggets, but I have some time to make that determination. I plan on really digging into my CCNA studies in mid August. But it sounds like both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets are good.

I also do have other sources of info - I have both the Odom books and the Todd Lammle book, so I have good book sources to read through. I just want to add some video to enforce what I learn from the books.

Now I just have to get all the cables and equipment setup for a decent lab - and kick my wife and kids out of my office while I get my lab setup.
  • Options
    Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets are awesome video they are made with so much detail that you can get that topic very well just go for it
    though you will need some determination to listen him for 25 to 40 min. But it is full of knowledgeicon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Dude... I LOVE LOVE LOVE CBT Nuggets, especially the CCNA / CCNP / CCVP series. Any CBT Nugget done by Jeremy or Michael is pure gold. They are absolutely worth every penny and then some. I cannot reccommend lecutres or trainings from Jeremy or Michael enough. Both of those instructors have greatly contributed to my understanding of networking and my certification process.

Oh, and, if Jeremy or Michael ever stumble on this thread -- Thanks for the great work. We all obviously appreciate it.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I appreciate all of the responses. I am leaning towards Train Signal versus CBT Nuggets, but I have some time to make that determination. I plan on really digging into my CCNA studies in mid August. But it sounds like both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets are good.

I also do have other sources of info - I have both the Odom books and the Todd Lammle book, so I have good book sources to read through. I just want to add some video to enforce what I learn from the books.

Now I just have to get all the cables and equipment setup for a decent lab - and kick my wife and kids out of my office while I get my lab setup.

If you opt for the TS CCNA course instead of CBT Nuggets, make sure you get some redbull or 5 hours energy drinks ready. The instructor obviously knows what he's talking about, but he's so monotone that listening to him is like watching paint dry.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would go with INE's videos based on what I've seen from their CCNP videos.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kamay44 wrote: »
    Hi, What other material did you use with the CBTnuggets for the CCNA??

Thanks

I also went through the Cisco Net Acad and didn't take my NA until after I had completed the BSCI and ISCW part (version 5 of the NP I think). So after doing the BSCI and ISCW in a class the NA was pretty easy.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    superbabe_uksuperbabe_uk Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found CBT Nuggets very helpful for my understanding of the material but Jeremy's "cheerful" teaching style is unbearable.

Personally, I found THIS to be the perfect training video (it's on Spanning-Tree). Unfortunately, they seemed to have discontinued the CCNA TV series. Keith Bogart is great.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1755
    (you may have to log in)

this is the whole series
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2549
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its good but so far i've only covered upto video 15. I think there's close to 30.It isn't perfect however and there are mistakes such as the one which talks about TCP windowing. Best thing to do is also get a book as any of the video series are going to be either thin on the ground or have misinformation in them. My only explanation as to why books tend to be more correct is that vids are done slightly unrehearsed and errors are probably not corrected or checked.

I also used the CBT nuggets vids (James conrad) when I did my A+. This was excellent.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    pham0329 wrote: »
    If you opt for the TS CCNA course instead of CBT Nuggets, make sure you get some redbull or 5 hours energy drinks ready. The instructor obviously knows what he's talking about, but he's so monotone that listening to him is like watching paint dry.

If it is Chris Bryant you're exactly right. He did the CD's that came with the cisco press books and its actually unbearable after listening to CBT Nuggets. It was actually hard to learn even though he presents great info...whereas CBT Nuggets guy was high energy, exuberant, and made it exciting and interesting.

Here's what I would do. Get the CBT Nuggets with the understanding that it will give you a great understanding of what you will DO, but not necessarily all you need to KNOW for the test.

I set up a home lab and got the CBTs, and the experience of watching and doing the videos along side was invaluable. Get the videos down, then go to reading to fill in any gaps IMHO is the best way to learn CCENT.
  • Options
    luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey everyone,
    i recently passed ccent and am now preparing for icnd2. i used a combination of cisco press books and videos. honestly, i think the books are the best and videos are a very good enhancement but should not be used as the only means of study.

so for books, cisco press all the way.
    for videos, i just can't afford cbt nuggets. i did like lammle's material but ultimately chose boss cbt (Boss CBT | Video Tutorials for Network Professionals). *very* good price, good depth, and each video (over 120 of them) are dedicated to a single topic each, so that made life easier for me as getting a full 1-2 hours of uninterrupted study time is a bit tough.

good luck to everyone! ccna is next!
  • Options
    melcredomelcredo Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    luisYme wrote: »
    hey everyone,
    i recently passed ccent and am now preparing for icnd2. i used a combination of cisco press books and videos. honestly, i think the books are the best and videos are a very good enhancement but should not be used as the only means of study.

so for books, cisco press all the way.
    for videos, i just can't afford cbt nuggets. i did like lammle's material but ultimately chose boss cbt (Boss CBT | Video Tutorials for Network Professionals). *very* good price, good depth, and each video (over 120 of them) are dedicated to a single topic each, so that made life easier for me as getting a full 1-2 hours of uninterrupted study time is a bit tough.

good luck to everyone! ccna is next!

congratulations!!! and thanks for this info. this is not the usual study route but its a great idea...
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Nugget videos are great to use WITH a good reference book. I used the cisco press books and would watch the comparbale CBT video after I completed each chapter and had no issues passing each exam.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on ICND2. I'm more of a "books only" kind of guy myself, but YMMV.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    CBT Nuggets is great stuff to start your exam preparation. I like watching the videos in "relaxed mood" before i start the real preparation.

Then watch it a second Time Topic by Topic and get the in depth info from a book of your choice.

With the Videos it is so much easier to understand the deeper concepts and details you need to pass the test.
    And then, I started a blog ...