Options

Time management software

onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
Hello All,

I'd like to get TEs input on time management software. I report my hours at work. I am required to give rounded times (hours / 1/2 hours) and have small sporadic tasks that come up as well as projects that run weeks to months.

At this point I keep track of my hours / time via spreadsheet and really would like a better way to get a picture of where my time goes. Maybe something where I can input or select a task, add date, and a number of hours to it. With possibly some light reporting. Any thoughts?

TYIA!
Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness

Comments

• Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it just for your personal use or for your whole workplace? We are about to start using something called Autotask that does that but I think it is quite expensive since it is geared more toward an enterprise deployment.
    :study:
  • Options
    Ah, sorry I missed that. I'm thinking more along the lines of tracking hours for something like contracting rather than enterprise deployment. Appreciate the response though.

• Options
    MaineMaine Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You might consider using basecamp. It's simple and very easy to use. It helps you manage your tasks and schedules. Other than basecamp, you might also want to check these alternatives. It's a list of various project management tools with its features compared with each other.

There's also Klok which is a great tool for TEs but its features are only limited to it. Though, it's still worth a try.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    My most hated part of any job is the timesheets... My last job I would get emails asking me what I was doing between 11:30 -11:45 the previous Monday. Maybe I was taking a **** icon_confused.gif:

So glad my current job doesn't use them
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    My most hated part of any job is the timesheets... My last job I would get emails asking me what I was doing between 11:30 -11:45 the previous Monday. Maybe I was taking a **** icon_confused.gif:

So glad my current job doesn't use them

I'm with you on this one. Though, I do think it's interesting to know where my time goes in a more abstract fassion. Some days I think it takes me 1/2 hour just to figure out all the projects I covered that day. I have a feeling Im going to have to write an app for this, sooner or later.

• Options
    MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have always, always hated time sheets, mostly because I am a horrible record keeper. I start off with the best of intentions, then slowly (sometimes quickly) let that erode to not doing them. The best thing that I've found is an iPhone app called HoursTracker. Its extremely easy to set up jobs and take notes when you clock out from the job. I've got it set up with each client and just clock in to each one as I start working. It also allows you to export out to CSV files so you can work with them in Excel for easy copy and paste.