Options

Server 2k3 Noob Question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey people I am in the process of dabbling with Server 2k3, I have setup a test lab but am running into difficulties, I will explain what I have done so far.

( The Setup)

Dell Poweredge 800 running Server 2k3
Netgear Switch isolated from main network
Windows XP Client.

The Server has been setup to handle DHCP, DNS, DC / Active Directory

I have created a Domain, And have created a new OU Called employees and added a user
( Yes I am reading 70-290 material lol).

Ok so that went very smoothly and I connected the XP Client to the Domain, rebooted the machine, proceeded to log onto the domain and the Machine got to the stage where it says loading personal settings and it took about 15 minutes to log into the computer before I could use it. What could be the reasons for the long time in logging in?

I havent setup any user shares / profile yet i'm just getting to grips with the basics.

Help would be much appreciated and I am sure there will be a more questions coming your way lol :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Was it that slow the first time, or also every subsequent time you logged in? That first time, it's a new user on the computer, so it is creating a user profile. Still shouldn't take 19 minutes...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DNS could be one issue. When running nslookup from the client's command prompt, does it correctly points to your DNS server (DC?) ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DNS would be the first thing I would check. With a logon that slow I would bet there are events in the event logs that give more clues.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I was reading through technet and I was told that if DNS is not configured correctly your logon times can take a very long time trying to communicate with your DC.

Also I thought it was best practice not to put a DHCP server on with a DC / DNS server?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    higherho wrote: »
    I was reading through technet and I was told that if DNS is not configured correctly your logon times can take a very long time trying to communicate with your DC.

Also I thought it was best practice not to put a DHCP server on with a DC / DNS server?

Best practise yea - but good enough for "dabbling" :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Havent performed a nslookup yet I also did a bit of research and reached the conclusion that it had to be something to do with a DNS issue, The machine takes I would say roughly about 15 minutes to log onto the domain controller, every time I log on.

Server I.P 192.168.1.20
    DNS Server 192.168.1.200 ( should this be the same I.P as the server?)
    No Gateway: running isolated just using a switch

Domain: smallbusiness.local

DNS Setting

forward lookup zone: smallbusiness.local
    forward I.P: 192.168.1.21 -

Those are my current settings is any of this information wrong?

Thanks

• Options
    mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes your PC's DNS should point to you DNS server, no question about it.
  • Options
    Well My Server is acting as DNS server, by default it gave a I.P address of 192.168.1.200 but I then have changed it to 192.168.1.20 which is the same as the servers I.P address, Am I right in saying that the I.P has to be the same?

Secondly I have created a forward lookup zone, the domain is Smallbusiness.local

And the forward I.P information is 192.168.1.21

when I run nslookup from the server and the client I am greeted with the following outcome.

DNS request timed out

can't find server name for address 192.168.1.20 timed out
    * default servers are not available
    default server: unknown
    address 192.168.1.20

• Options
    Errrrrrr lads?

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Errrrrrr lads?

If you installed DNS on the server, could you check the DNS console on that server itself?

There should be entries that name the server itself, in DNS.
    I'm thinking you should have host record, as well as name server record.

on your server, do this:

ipconfig /all

on your workstation, do this:

ipconfig /all

It could be that you will see your issues, when you check your DNS console on the server. Check your event log for errors, "dcdiag" comes to mind, but even before that, just check your event log.

I'm not sure where you're getting so many IP addresses from.

This is what you have on your network:
    1 - a server
    2 - a workstation

UNLESS your server is multi-homed, it should have only one IP address right now. That address is your DNS server address.

Check your setups, then reply back to us. I'm sure that we can assist you (even though checking the event log might be your best clue right now).

EDIT:
    What machine do you have at 192.168.1.21? A DNS forwarder is for sending requests that you cannot resolve locally. Your server SHOULD be pointing to itself, not a forwarder. Why do you have a forwarder configured?

Please read this article: (Also, PLEASE check your event log, it should tell you exactly what is wrong.)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323380
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Thank you for the response I will setup again with the information provided and let you know, I wasn't to sure what a DNS forwarder was needed for thank you for clearly that up,

One last area of confusion to clear up, Because my Server is handling the DNS should it's DNS setting be the same as it's I.P Address, i.e 192.168.1.21 for both

Thanks