Advice needed on setting up a dhcp server on PT

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have packet tracer version 5.3.0.0088. To basically practice a few things i setup a network with a switch and then segmented it into three VLANS using ip subnets 192.168.0.0/24, 10.0.0.0/8 and 172.16.0.0/16
I also setup a laptop which connects to the console port of the switch. I have enabled port security and implemented basic usernames and passwords via telnet.
All of this appears to work fine. It is obviously very basic of course.

For the host computers theres 2 PCs in each of the three vlans and i have called them Accounts, Sales and well...vlan 1 is default.
I assigned the IP addresses to the host computers using the "IP configuaration" button when I click on the picture of each PC. I then filled in the static section.

What i would like to do is be able to use a dhcp server to allocate addresses. I noticed within the IP configuation button there is an option called "dhcp". When I selected this it states "aquiring address via dhcp"
then it reports back saying it failed. I had a feeling this would happen as i have not setup a dhcp server. I dont know how to. Can anyone give me any tips please?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• capitanuionutcapitanuionut Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes,...indeed the dhcp option from ip configuration is for a dynamic ip address...

You can add a router to your configuration...and on this router implement inter-vlan routing and at the same time implement a dhcp server for each vlan with commands:

ip dhcp pool <name>
    network <network ip address for user> <subnet mask>
    default-router <ip address of the router subinterface>

If you don't know how to do this ...then you can add a server from end devices and configure dhcp pool there...but you will need a router with a trunk port for each to comunicate with the dhcp server from every vlan...
  • Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes,...indeed the dhcp option from ip configuration is for a dynamic ip address...

You can add a router to your configuration...and on this router implement inter-vlan routing and at the same time implement a dhcp server for each vlan with commands:

ip dhcp pool <name>
    network <network ip address for user> <subnet mask>
    default-router <ip address of the router subinterface>

If you don't know how to do this ...then you can add a server from end devices and configure dhcp pool there...but you will need a router with a trunk port for each to comunicate with the dhcp server from every vlan...
    and also if you add a server machine then you have to start inter vlan routing and after startin the server you have to give command "ip helper <ip address of the server> to the interface that join the router and server at router end and to the sub-interfaces of the router that are used for the inter vlan routing. try youtube videos for the details.icon_wink.gif
  • tek2advancedtek2advanced Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    capitanuionut

I don't see you on Skype anymore... ???