Options

Bad routers?

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
I just started getting around to playing with my routers after playing with my switches. I noticed a couple things that were off.

First was, I was told the iOS would be 12.4 but it's only 12.2. I don't know if the two 1760's I have are capable of holding 12.4, so correct me if I'm wrong. The company I purchased from assured me they were 12.4. They're both 64D/32F.

Second, I get the following during the boot process...

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XL, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: Support and Documentation
Copyright (c) 2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C1700 platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x5af0f8
Self decompressing the image : ################################################################################################## [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
MainBoard 0X00027A80 1760
0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
0X0002 0X0000DC00 Card in slot 0
TOTAL: 0X0033A230

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised..
This pops up on both routers. With or without the WIC card installed. Is this a faulty router?

The reason I ask is I was going through my CBT nugget router config and saw that his router didn't have this kind of out put. I googled it and got webpages for corrupt iOS images, so I'm hoping someone could clarify if this is supposed to be normal.

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thats fine.
    If it displays unknown not hex values, thats when its bad.

I get the same on my 1760's.

Upgrade the ios ,its part of the fun of learning to use routers.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Thats your Bootstrap version you are looking at there mate.

Type in :
    #show version

or

#sho flash

either of these commands will show you what your IOS version is.

edited to add: there's nothing wrong with the output either, they appear to be loading fine. Do they go all the way to - Press Return to continue or choose yes/no to enter intitial configuration dialogue mode ?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And one more nit-pick. It's IOS not iOS. We're not working on iPods here.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    alan2308 wrote: »

lol. Looks like SdotLow must be a fanboy.

Jk. I'm not biased.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    @ alan2308 - I'm afraid my posts might contain iOS quite a lot - it's what the iPhone autocorrects it to unfortunately!!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    @ alan2308 - I'm afraid my posts might contain iOS quite a lot - it's what the iPhone autocorrects it to unfortunately!!

HA! I never even though of that. I turned off autocorrect on my phone when it kept changing my daughters name from Abbie to Annie in every text message.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yes, but based on their earnings, it might be a better bet!icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

LucasMN wrote: »
    lol. Looks like SdotLow must be a fanboy.

Jk. I'm not biased.

Thanks for the replies, I did not know there was a seperate version for the bootstrap and the IOS. Haven't seen that mentioned in the books or videos. Was very confused when I saw 12.2 on the bootstrap and the 12.3 on the IOS version.

I'm not a fanboy of junk. I don't understand how people can justify purchasing Apple computers. If you want an OS that isn't easily exploitable and user friendly, I say install Ubuntu.

I do have an iPhone, but will be purchasing an Android when my contract is up ;(
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SdotLow wrote: »
    .... I was told the iOS would be 12.4 but it's only 12.2. I don't know if the two 1760's I have are capable of holding 12.4, so correct me if I'm wrong. The company I purchased from assured me they were 12.4. They're both 64D/32F....

a bit off topic, but I slapped myself in the ear when I found out about 1760s AFTER I bought 4 2621(non-xm) routers... and the 1760 were cheaper...icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I've been looking through the Cisco site while at work, going over various router and WiC / NM / AIM features available to kill time, and it interests me. I ran across information for my 2620XM that says it should be 128dram by default. When I purchased it I was unaware of this, and was told it had 92dram and would have to pay $18 to upgrade it to 128.

Scammed?
  • Options
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Scammed?

Did the seller lie to you about what was in it? They offered a product for sale and you bought it. Buyers remorse does not constitute a scam.
  • Options
    Did the seller lie to you about what was in it? They offered a product for sale and you bought it. Buyers remorse does not constitute a scam.

It was a question, not an accusation. I suppose I could have worded it different.

I wanted to know if all 2620xm routers should come with 128D/32F default. I asked the seller (this is not on ebay, this is a business) and was told that it depends on production year and IOS. All of the 2620xm's they have are 92D/32F. The main purpose of my question is to determine whether or not I should be purchasing from this company in the future, as I've bought the majority of my lab from them at ebay rates.

I don't have remorse, I got the product for a reasonable price. I don't like getting hustled, period. If I am, I'll take my business elsewhere.
  • Options
    Take a look at this. "Current Default: 32MB New Default: 96MB Maximum: 128MB" This would leave plenty of room for different memory configurations in that model over time.

Default Memory Increases for Cisco 2691, 2600XM & 1700 Routers [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    and if you want to upgrade to 256MB ram and 48MB falsh(16MB builtin + 32MB)
    you may need to upgrade/replace the bootrom
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014