Options

New workstation ordered!

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
I talked my boss into letting me get a new workstation, since I rarely ever undock my laptop (it's going to a member of management who hates her current laptop), but the trick was that I had to keep it under $1,000. So, to get the most bang for the buck I paid a visit to the Dell Outlet store. I've never had a problem with refurbished equipment from them in the past, and it's got the same warranty as the new stuff.

I ended up getting a Dell Precision Workstation T1600 with a Xeon E3-1245 CPU, 4GB of RAM (expandable to 16GB), 1GB ATI FirePro V4800 GPU, 1 TB & extra 500 GB drives, and a E2311H 23" monitor for $914.18. Oh, and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Without the monitor, it appears the same system brand new is around $1,500 or so (minus tax & shipping). I used a 15% off coupon from the outlet store (expires today), and there's free 3-5 day shipping. I should be able to run a few VM's off that machine! :)

If anyone else is computer shopping and ready to pull the trigger, you might want to give it a look. If you need the coupon code, I got it from TechBargains: Best Deals, Dell Coupons, Cheap Laptops, Computer Sales
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Nice find. When we need to look at getting new servers, we use the HP Renew Program. Why pay full price when you can get it for less with the exact same warranty!
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice I wasn't aware of HP's program till you mentioned it. We're going to need an additional terminal server in the near future so I'll be sure to take a look at it when the time comes.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]