About to start studying for the 70-680 Any advice, tips, tricks, last rites?

benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm gonna start preparing this afternoon.

I've armed myself with the MS 70-680 press book and the Poulton MCTS cert guide. Since I've heard the MS press book is only really useful for the labs and and practice tests, I'm going to start with the Poulton book and use the MS book for review.

I've also got the 70-680 resources from this site:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/42480-70-680-resources.html

And I've read on here that the Professor Messor youtube vids are really good:
‪professormesser's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

So before I start any advice? or further materials that could help?

Thanks in advance! Well here goes. Gentlemen start your Windows 7 Enterprise!

Comments

• mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    benmark wrote: »

I've armed myself with the MS 70-680 press book and the Poulton MCTS cert guide. Since I've heard the MS press book is only really useful for the labs and and practice tests, I'm going to start with the Poulton book and use the MS book for review.

Be sure you've got the errata for the MS Press book.

Other than that, the books + videos should keep you occupied for a month or three, depending on your available study hours. A few of us have been discussing the 70-680 lately; I think the key is in the labs. You've gotta really be familiar with all of the Win 7 content as well as the parts of Server 08 deployment and management tools.

Don't be afraid to take your time on this one. icon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do have the errata for the MS Press book. 85 pages of corrections is crazy.

Do you need server 08 as well for the labs?
    I do have the errata for the MS Press book. 85 pages of corrections is crazy.

Do you need server 08 as well for the labs?
    For WDS and other topics, 'fraid so.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Free 180-Day Trial

Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download
  • benmarkbenmark Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool thank you for your help.

I also saw this to extend the trial 3 times.
    How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period
    Cool thank you for your help.

I also saw this to extend the trial 3 times.
    How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

Indeed. The 'rearm' command also works with Win7.
  • LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119

This is how I prepare for an exam:

1) I study using the MS Press Books (2nd Editions). I read each section and chapter, do all practice labs in sequence in the book as I am reading, and then answer the review questions at the end of each section. I check my answers and, for the ones I miss, I go back right then and review until I understand why I missed it and why the correct answer is the correct answer. I seek understanding, not just correct answers.

I do NOT do exam sims after each chapter as the book recommends. I tried that at the end of the 1st Chapter on 70-642 and the sim hit me with questions on material that I had not covered yet so I failed the sim miserably. I decided to wait until after reading the entire book before doing sims. That way, I don't have 20 hours invested into doing sims on material I haven't even studied yet.

2) I do all the scenarios and check myself and review wrong answers just like I do with the review questions.

3) After reading the entire book, doing all labs, and answering the review questions and reviewing my answers; I do the exam sims that come with the books, and do Transcender exam sims. After simming, I go back and review the areas I am weak in.

I seem to average 15-17 pages per hour reading plus about 1+ hour labbing for every 4 hours reading. I do exam sims for 3-4 hours and then review weak areas for 3-4 more hours. I do not do more sims after the last review. "either you know it or you don't..."

YMMV...
    9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    70-680 2nd editon? where can I get this book :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119
    ally_uk wrote: »
    70-680 2nd editon? where can I get this book :)

I copied and pasted that from another post I made. From my understanding, there is a corrected reprint of the MS Press 70-680 book though. Try O'Reilly.
    9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832