Options

Pinging router initial setup

descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
This may be a dumb question but I am going insane trying to figure this out. I am attempting to setup my routers/switches and to upgrade the IOS on each. I am logged into the console port and have a crossover cable connected from my laptop to the FastEth 0 interface on the router.

Laptop IP: 192.168.137.1/24
Router IP: 192.168.137.4/24

I turned off my firewall on the laptop as well. I can ping from the laptop to the router fine, however I cannot ping from the router to the laptop and can't figure out why for the life of me.

It's probably something I'm overlooking here I hope. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Disregard. Firewall was in fact the issue. I just hadn't restarted computer. After restart, it worked fine.
  • Options
    luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good to hear. you could have also checked the arp table on the router to determine if you could even see mac address (it's implied that the router could given it replied to PINGs from the laptop, but still a good troubleshooting step).

firewalls... love them, hate them... definitely need them icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    rickinyorkshirerickinyorkshire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I had a similar issue with the Windows Firewall when setting up a tftp server, I was getting so stressed as it should have been working but was unable to ping each other. Then realised the stupid firewall was still on..argh.