Options

CCNA vs (ICND1 & ICND2)

nashienashie Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am in a big confusion, should I go with CCNA direct or first clear ICND1 and then ICND2 ?

Regarding my background, I have managed a computer lab in my university and my basics are quite clear about networking.

Basically I want to know what are adv and disadv of both the approaches.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The real problem is that I doubt that there's anyone who did both routes and can make any knowledgeable comparison of the two. So the best we will be able to offer up is mostly speculation. icon_cool.gif

Either way, you have to know all of the topics in the CCNA blueprint. The difference is how much you need to know at one point in time. If you take the two test route, you're going to see 100 total questions (50 per exam) vs 50 total questions for the one test route. Which means that you'll likely see less of each topic on the one test route, but twice as many topics. I'm also guessing one weak area will hurt you a lot less because of that.

Which ever way you go, you have to know the ICND1 topics inside out, so I would start by working on that. If that seems like a lot to handle at once, go the two exam route. If you take right to it and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, consider the one exam route.

And one more thing to consider, knowing networking pretty well and knowing Cisco networking pretty well are two different things.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I managed computer labs while attending college, too, I did it as part of work study, at my second school. I would do some work at the Windows PC lab, and would also do work at the Unix & AS/400 Lab (Actually hit three schools, before attaining a bachelor's, but that's for another thread.)

Anyway, based on my experience, managing a college computer lab pales in comparison to the CCNA, unless those computers were running IOS. I would advise taking the two test route, if you have no other networking exposure.

This video from Wendell Odom sums it up nicely:
    ‪Wendell Odom on CCNA Self-Study Preparation‬‏ - YouTube

EDIT: One advantage to the Odom kit for CCNA is that it covers CCNA, but also covers the ICND1/ICND2, so you can get that kit, then decide from there what you want to do, based on how well you're learning.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    There are actually several good threads on this in the CCNA section. Most people (myself included) would recommend taking the two test route, for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey, nashi-
    i just completed icnd1 and now have my ccent cert! :)

i know i can't completely answer your question as i'm still studying for my ccna (icnd2 is next), but i can tell you this: breaking all of that material for the ccna into two exams has made life a bit easier for me (i have a day job and study time is hard to find outside of work).

i think focusing on a smaller amount of material has also helped me take my time and thoroughly learn the material (for me, there's a LOT of stuff covered in ccna).

i really wanted to learn, so this decision has worked well for me so far!

all the best to you. study and then study some more. it's worth it!

-l
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    nashie wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Regarding my background, I have managed a computer lab in my university and my basics are quite clear about networking.

To be honest, unless you also studied networking, managing a computer lab doesn't teach you much about networking. That experience may help you with CompTIA Network+ but there's much to learn if you're going for the CCNA.

I think most people would suggest the 2 exam route as it breaks the CCNA down into different sections, allowing you to focus on certain topics. It's like the CCNP track...if they offer a single composite CCNP vs the 3 exam route, I doubt many people would take the composite as the focus would be way to broad.
  • Options
    Aman_sainiAman_saini Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    umm you may take icnd1 and icnd2 but it is very difficult for me personally to give 2 exam instead of 1. you should try to study the whole CCNA syllabus after that its upto you how you feel rather you can take 1 or 2. I suggest fighting one battle is easier than fighting 2.icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    I have written both tests and I feel that writing CCNA composite is advantageous to the two separate exam route given that you ARE ABLE to pass ICND2.

The biggest disadvantage to writing ICND1 and 2 are the time constraints. The CCNA composite is no more than 55 questions and you are alloted 90 minutes. ICND2 is equally challenging, covers the exact same content, has 45-50 questions and only allows you 75 minutes. ICND2 is all the difficult CCNA stuff. CCNA composite has a mix of challenging and easier INCD1 questions.

The biggest advantage to ICND 1 and 2 is that it costs less to screw up. It gives you a chance to familiarize yourself with cisco exams, and it's less daunting.

If you have the required knowledge the composite is the way to go. Recertifiying for example , I would choose the composite over the ICND2 just based on time and the extra freebies.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015