steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here's the new Comptia cert.

Healthcare IT Technician

Exam Objectives

For $102 may be something to look at.

Comments

• Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    The price is definitely reasonable, especially for CompTIA. I wonder when we'll start seeing this listed as a plus on some of the hospital job listings.
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like another way for them to make money.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From reading the objectives it seems more like an IT managers role within a healtcare related system. I can't see a reason why a tech would need to know about HIPAA laws or medicare/medicaide.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This one and the digital imaging one has me interested :)

Of course I have a lot going on so this will never materialize, but I still like it.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    From reading the objectives it seems more like an IT managers role within a healtcare related system. I can't see a reason why a tech would need to know about HIPAA laws or medicare/medicaide.

I can for HIPAA - they should have a fundamental knowledge of it so if they come across a situation where it looks like that information is not being adequately protected, they can report it to have it resolved before it becomes a major breach.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    colemic wrote: »
    I can for HIPAA - they should have a fundamental knowledge of it so if they come across a situation where it looks like that information is not being adequately protected, they can report it to have it resolved before it becomes a major breach.

I'm not a manager - but we have a few clients that are doctors and I can see at least a cursory knowledge of most everything would be beneficial especially HIPAA. I'm often on the phone or on site by myself with these clients so I need to have a slight clue about most of it. I'll probably take the exam when some study material comes available.
  • Options
    This type of certifiction would actually be perfect for people who support clinical applications.
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Speaking as someone that supports the military healthcare system, this cert is pretty great. HIPPA and PHI are a pretty big part of what we do, and including those with A+ knowledge is a great base for an IT tech. I plan on knocking this out within the week. From looking at the objectives if you have A+ and a good grasp of clinical IT you should need minimal preparation.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    Speaking as someone that supports the military healthcare system, this cert is pretty great. HIPPA and PHI are a pretty big part of what we do, and including those with A+ knowledge is a great base for an IT tech. I plan on knocking this out within the week. From looking at the objectives if you have A+ and a good grasp of clinical IT you should need minimal preparation.

You probably work on AHLTA.
  • Options
    LoMo wrote: »
    You probably work on AHLTA.

Good guess :)
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    mikecintelmikecintel Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and I am interested in working in the health care field in IT. I am an A+ certified and I am currently working in a college full time in the IT department. I want to switch fields because I have been working at a college environment for 10 years.

I want to know if I take this exam and with this certification will it be easier to get into the hospital environment because you have this certification? I know that the IT trend is going towards health care now. I never worked in a hospital before so I want to experience it and learn new things.

Thanks

Mike
  • Options
    It certainly can't hurt but I wonder how man hospitals are familiar with it.
  • Options
    Hi LoMo,

Yes thanks for your reply. I will definitely take it. Now I just need to find some study materials and take the exam. Right now this is a NEW exam so I don't think the hospitals will be familiar with it but I hope in the future with hospital they will require it when looking for jobs just like if you want to work for tech support with a company they need A+ as one of their requirements. I want to be the first one with the new certification with Comptia with Health care IT. I just want to get my foot in the door if you know what I mean in the health care environment.

It is sometimes good to change in a NEW environment when you work for a company for 10 years.

Thanks

Mike C
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I think it would be too new for Hospital HR Departments to know about it, no?

New knowledge is always good, but may be worth waiting on to see if healthcare IT job postings start requesting it, before investing time and $102 into it?

Just my 2 cents....
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Good idea but it is good to get a head start first as with anything.

Thanks

Mike C
  • Options
    I am scheduled to take this Wednesday at noon central time. There aren't any study materials out yet so I'm just going to look over the objectives and trust in my ability to nail all the PC questions and then get as many of the healthcare questions as my military healthcare system experience will allow. Hopefully that will get me 650. If not, oh well its only 100 bucks.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Good luck and tells us how you did.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LoMo wrote: »
    It certainly can't hurt but I wonder how man hospitals are familiar with it.

I haven't seen it as a requirement for IT related jobs here so I think over time hospitals will start to learn about it and maybe want it later on.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    I am scheduled to take this Wednesday at noon central time. There aren't any study materials out yet so I'm just going to look over the objectives and trust in my ability to nail all the PC questions and then get as many of the healthcare questions as my military healthcare system experience will allow. Hopefully that will get me 650. If not, oh well its only 100 bucks.

Good luck! Let us know how it is and how you do! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Leaving now to grab some quick lunch then test at 12. Will update with the results when I return.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Passed with a 729/900. The majority of the test was related to A+ and Sec+ material, with the other portions being mostly healthcare industry standards. If you are A+ and Sec+ certified and have any experience working in a hospital at all you can probably knock this out without much trouble.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Passed with a 729/900. The majority of the test was related to A+ and Sec+ material, with the other portions being mostly healthcare industry standards. If you are A+ and Sec+ certified and have any experience working in a hospital at all you can probably knock this out without much trouble.

Congratz on the pass and thanks for the good info about the cert!

Do you mind clarifying -- you mention needing a bit of experience working in a hospital --- could you give me an example of a question or scenario they brought up?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Basically you need to know various common hospital departments, occuptaions, so on and so forth. For instance it asked where a phlebotomist would work, and then another question asked in which scenario would "breaking the glass" be necessary in EHR. The answer there was a phlebotomist trying to look at HIV results. So working at a hospital would give you that experience plus experience handling PHI and PII and working with HIPAA which are also big parts of the test.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Congrats on passing the exam and thanks for the info. Hmmm I wonder if I will pass the exam because I don't know enough about hospital but when the study material comes out and I will study it and still take the exam. I want to work in a hospital environment for a change as IT Technician.

Mike C
  • Options
    thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Safe to assume this is a lifetime certification?
  • Options
    Hello,

YES I have called comptia and they said it is a lifetime certification. It is part of the STRATA certification series. Strata certification are lifetime certifications.
  • Options
    FL_TeeRexFL_TeeRex Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to zaxbysauce for the insight. I bought the voucher and have been trying to self-educate. I passed A+ end of July and with that fresh, would like to get this one done soon. Just a matter of time before Keiser, Fortis, Concorde and the like will be offering preparatory instruction to get on the new wave of HIT.
  • Options
    FL_TeeRex wrote: »
    Thanks to zaxbysauce for the insight. I bought the voucher and have been trying to self-educate. I passed A+ end of July and with that fresh, would like to get this one done soon. Just a matter of time before Keiser, Fortis, Concorde and the like will be offering preparatory instruction to get on the new wave of HIT.

Make sure to go over common Sec+ stuff as well, as it had a decent amount of that on that on there. Especially as it relates to handling PHI.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Wow...I'm actually impressed with the exam objectives.

I have experience working in a hospital IT department and this exam covers alot of good information. I think hiring managers who value certification and keep up with new stuff would be impressed by a desktop tech with this cert.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eansdad wrote: »

Everyone needs to have an understanding of the laws. It falls on your manager usually to ensure these are enforced but the technician is the first line of defense. They can't be checking up on you 24/7.
    Decide what to be and go be it.