ASUS EeePC 1015PN

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
Do anyone have this same netbook I have? I am having trouble trying to get the video drivers to work seamlessly the way it has been working before I reformatted it an installed Windows 7 Professional. Now, my battery life is below 5 hours, and the netbook constantly keeps getting hot. I regret buying this damn thing in the first place since I no longer find it useful anymore. The only reason why I bought it is because I needed a lighter, smaller notebook that can handles most of my courseworks to carry around with me when I commute back and forth on campus. That was when I was a student at my previous school before I left there. It was pretty handy and I used it majority of the time on campus when I was stuck on campus between classes, activities, and meetings.

So, I called ASUS Support and asked for a recovery disk since one of their drivers will only work with Starter edition. I was willing to buy my disk from them as long as all it takes for them to download the image and burn it to a DVD and ship it to me. However, that's not the case. They said they don't do it anymore, which really pissed me off. The least I can do is buy another Starter edition, but what they told me what I should have done is create a recovery disk with an external drive, which is not really an option for me since I wanted to remove all the bloatwares that came with it. I thought everything was going to be in the cloud anyway. I mean if I can get my Lion OS X again, all I have to do is log on and download it again from the App Store. Now, I'm considering selling it with nothing on the hard drive if I have to.

So, for those of you who experienced the same problem, what did you guys do? Did you sell it or got it to work beyond Starter edition? Try another OS? (I tried Ubuntu, but tweaking it seems like a lot of works).

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add. Did someone successfully replace theirs with the 1015PEM model?

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I'd run some monitoring software to check the temps on that thing to identify where the hotspot is. It sounds like the HDD is going into overdrive or there's something funky with your graphics/chipset cooling. As for the drivers, which driver are you having difficulty with that apparently won't work with Windows 7 Pro?
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Are you using the driver that is installed by Windows 7, or did you go out and download the driver from the manufacturer website and install it? A lot of times I find performance issues with the driver supplied by the OS (more xp than 7).
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd run some monitoring software to check the temps on that thing to identify where the hotspot is. It sounds like the HDD is going into overdrive or there's something funky with your graphics/chipset cooling. As for the drivers, which driver are you having difficulty with that apparently won't work with Windows 7 Pro?

I believe you guys are not familiar with the Nvidia ION issue in this particular model I have. What happen is that under Windows 7 Pro, two of my video drivers are running at the same time (Nvidia ION and Intel). ASUS has this "Graphic Switch" software utility that's suppose to let me choose which driver I want to use at the next reboot. I can't get that to work seamlessly under Professional edition, since it keeps selecting both drivers, which requires more processing power. Thus causing the battery to drain faster. ASUS may have done some dirty business and they made sure that their "Graphic Switch" utility only work on Starter edition that came with it, which made the graphic switching works seamlessly (only one graphic driver is active at a time).
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Are you using the driver that is installed by Windows 7, or did you go out and download the driver from the manufacturer website and install it? A lot of times I find performance issues with the driver supplied by the OS (more xp than 7).

Crrussell, if you know how to get to the bottom of this, then I would be more than happy to have you help me out here, because I tried getting around the issues. If you google up this issue, you should see a lot of us 1015PN folks were probably unhappy with the "graphic switch" issues they were having having with Windows 7 OSes beyond Starter edition.
    Very quick google to see what this issue is lead me to this post which describes the following method of installation:
    i installed a fresh copy of windows 7 x86 ultimate sp1
    installed the asus graphics switch immediately and ran the switch to optimus > reboot
    2 video cards show up so then you install the intel graphics driver (latest version) first and reboot and prompted
    then install the nvidia ion drivers (latest from website)
    reboot and optimus will be enabled
    run the nvidia control panel and make sure your program is set to high performance graphics instead of integrated so it will switch

Have you installed in this manner? If not give it a try with all the latest and greatest driver versions from nvidia/asus websites.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Nvidia just pooped out some fresh Beta drivers in the past few days so give those a shot. icon_cheers.gif
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Very quick google to see what this issue is lead me to this post which describes the following method of installation:

Have you installed in this manner? If not give it a try with all the latest and greatest driver versions from nvidia/asus websites.

I will try it again. Hopefully it's fully updated. The problem is when did this person do the installation? I was trying to figure what should go in order. Graphic Switch utility, Nvidia Driver, Intel Driver, NIC/WiFi driver, then Windows Update?? I will do more research on this tonight since I was waiting for this perfect day to make phone call to ASUS during day time since I just got a special phone installed at work last week and didn't bother trying to fix the graphic issues for over two months. Thanks. icon_thumright.gif
    icon_thumright.gif

I will try it again. Hopefully it's fully updated. The problem is when did this person do the installation? I was trying to figure what should go in order. Graphic Switch utility, Nvidia Driver, Intel Driver, NIC/WiFi driver, then Windows Update?? I will do more research on this tonight since I was waiting for this perfect day to make phone call to ASUS during day time since I just got a special phone installed at work last week and didn't bother trying to fix the graphic issues for over two months. Thanks. icon_thumright.gif

That post I found was dated 05/28/2011.