Options

Taking the MCITP Plunge!

Yes thats right people! I have finally decided on studying for another certification! After loading up Windows Server 2008 and had a friend help me connect Windows 7 to my domain on Windows Server 2008, I learned a lot! :D Now I am ready to start a cert! My friend who is in IT right now and does a lot with Active Directory says that I should be getting certs while I am in school as well. That way i can get a better entry level job once I get out! I am excited! Ordered the Sybex book this morning and going to start reading and labbing :D

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is one smart friend. And great decision on your end. This board proved to be an excellent resource while preparing for my MCITP. Make sure you fire up a lab and don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Good luck!

MS certs aren't a walk in the park for most people just starting out, going to take some hardcore studying.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    That's awesome! I would advise picking up a second book for any exam though. Usually Sybex is pretty good, actually, Sybex is usually my favorite, however I was very disappointing with their material regarding the Windows 2008 exams.

Also, if you can, setup some kind of lab at home that you can practice on. Hands on experience is important.

Good luck!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take your time on preparing for all of these exams, you are going to need a lot of labbing time at home. In addition to any books you follow, read up on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 The best, free and most exhaustive resource available for just about any Microsoft exam.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Thanks everyone. I've also been creating notes in notepad and getting video links off youtube on some of the objectives. I am actually surprised that 80% of the material from the exam is all on youtube so far for free.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Watch the videos as needed, but dont forget that labbing the material yourself is the most critical part of exam preparation.

You never told us in your other thread (posted in the virtualisation sub-forum) how you got your Win7 VM to join the domain? icon_sad.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Watch the videos as needed, but dont forget that labbing the material yourself is the most critical part of exam preparation.

You never told us in your other thread (posted in the virtualisation sub-forum) how you got your Win7 VM to join the domain? icon_sad.gif

I was pointing my Win7 computer to the wrong IP address when I statically assigned it's DNS server. I found out that you had to put the IP address of the Windows Server 2008 into the DNS portion of the Windows 7 computer. It worked after I put in the Windows 7 IP configuration stuff and then the Windows Server 2008 IP as the DNS.

I had to re-install active directory because I had to enter in the information that i stated above statically on both machines before it worked.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Armymanis wrote: »
    I was pointing my Win7 computer to the wrong IP address when I statically assigned it's DNS server. I found out that you had to put the IP address of the Windows Server 2008 into the DNS portion of the Windows 7 computer. It worked after I put in the Windows 7 IP configuration stuff and then the Windows Server 2008 IP as the DNS.

I had to re-install active directory because I had to enter in the information that i stated above statically on both machines before it worked.

It's all part of the learning process. You'll get stuck on some things and later look back and scratch your head as to why you could not figure it out when you now see it as a no brainer. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    LucasMN wrote: »
    It's all part of the learning process. You'll get stuck on some things and later look back and scratch your head as to why you could not figure it out when you now see it as a no brainer. icon_scratch.gif

Clocked my study hours today at 5 hours today and thats with just searching the objectives online, finding videos on youtube about certain topics and taking notes.

Since at work we are doing nothing I can study for as long as we want. August 8th is when we get back to actually doing stuff. I can't believe i wasted a week just sitting there watching youtube videos previously. Damn was I stupid.