IE users have lower IQ

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
It's the #1 read and shared news item on BBC right now!

BBC News - Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Awesome! I'm an Opera user so I must be brilliant.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Is anybody really terribly surprised at this? Windows is the pre-dominant user operating system, and IE is installed by default. I have absolutely no doubt that if Microsoft had decided to partner with Netscape back in the early days of the internet rather than developing their own browser (and install it by default on all versions of windows), that it would be occupying that slot right now.

It also doesn't account for the fact that there's no way to distinguish between users who may have been taking the test at home, or at work. At work, you may not have a choice in what browser you use.

I'm as big a Microsoft bigot as any nerd out there, but the BBC is being sensationalist with this reporting. The CEO of the company that conducted the report is more correct when he says that low IQ users are likely to be using IE, as opposed to the implication that using IE means you have a low IQ. The difference is subtle, but it's there.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It also mentioned that the users were using IE6 which points to older computer often found in Windows XP the dominant OS in the wild. Research like this is a joke there is no single control. There is no description of breakouts, if they are unequal it is a bogus test.

All that being said users who use different than default browsers typically experiment more and would score higher on an IQ test. IQ does not show you are smarter just that you have more potential to be smart.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is anybody really terribly surprised at this? Windows is the pre-dominant user operating system, and IE is installed by default. I have absolutely no doubt that if Microsoft had decided to partner with Netscape back in the early days of the internet rather than developing their own browser (and install it by default on all versions of windows), that it would be occupying that slot right now.

The reason that was not the case is because Netscape, in its infitinite wisdom, wanted to charge folks for a browser license. Microsoft, in its infitite wisdom, made their Internet browser free.

The beginning of the end for Netscape....
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    cyberguypr wrote: »

I thought this seemed a little off base. I wasn't sure if you could get a good sampling using the methods they described.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IQ means nothing for adults unless your down around the 80 or lower area. I've seen people that tested low go on to do big things and people who score high do nothing.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    cyberguypr wrote: »

You want to know the sad thing? This will make no difference. I'll bet the initial report made enough of a splash that people will be quoting the bogus study as fact for years to come.

Hopefully it teaches the news outlets that picked the original story up a thing or two about responsibility.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You want to know the sad thing? This will make no difference. I'll bet the initial report made enough of a splash that people will be quoting the bogus study as fact for years to come.

Hopefully it teaches the news outlets that picked the original story up a thing or two about responsibility.

People still forward reworded chain emails recycled from over a decade ago, your probably right.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304

It also doesn't account for the fact that there's no way to distinguish between users who may have been taking the test at home, or at work. At work, you may not have a choice in what browser you use.

I'm as big a Microsoft bigot as any nerd out there, but the BBC is being sensationalist with this reporting. The CEO of the company that conducted the report is more correct when he says that low IQ users are likely to be using IE, as opposed to the implication that using IE means you have a low IQ. The difference is subtle, but it's there.

I remember using a Netscape browser back when Windows 95 was out. Man has it been that long already? That was also when i was in elementary school and we had dial up. Internet was slow back then. Look at it now.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The intelligence test is in the headline. Read it as: Are you dumb enough to fall for this?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    I remember using a Netscape browser back when Windows 95 was out. Man has it been that long already? That was also when i was in elementary school and we had dial up. Internet was slow back then. Look at it now.

I started using Mosaic and back then I remember multimedia on a webpage was animated gif files and midi music.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I started using Mosaic and back then I remember multimedia on a webpage was animated gif files and midi music.

Ah those were the days such an upgrade from the BBS green screens.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    It's the #1 read and shared news item on BBC right now!

BBC News - Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

IQ is a flawed way of attempting to measure intelligence IMHO.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »

I agree, but then I actually LIKE to use IE.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    +1. I remember seeing a PrimeTime-20/20 show a few years back which featured a guy that scored real high on the IQ test (don't remember the exact score)-turns out he was a bouncer at some club in Long Island.

It ain't what you know; it's what you DO with what you know.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Yep, just like people still think vaccines cause autism even though that study was found to be bogus.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I stuck with IE for years because that's what we use at work and it suited my needs. But I didn't like IE9 so I switched to Firefox. I liked the search bar in the upper righthand corner and IE9 eliminated that. Yeah there's a workaround but why bother researching the latest IE "improvement" when the latest Firefox version keeps the feature.

I still use IE at work but only because I have no choice.