Safari Books Online

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I am looking at making the investment in Safari, but had a question. I am looking at the 10 book option and was wondering how exactly it worked. So I put a book on my shelf and have 30 days to read it. What if I don't finish in that 30 day period? Can I just put it on my shelf again? Other than that, it's too good of a deal to pass up!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    So I am looking at making the investment in Safari, but had a question. I am looking at the 10 book option and was wondering how exactly it worked. So I put a book on my shelf and have 30 days to read it. What if I don't finish in that 30 day period? Can I just put it on my shelf again? Other than that, it's too good of a deal to pass up!

I imagine it works much like a library, if you leave it on the shelf, it auto-renews.

For me, it wasn't that great of a deal while it required a web browser. However, now that the iPad app isn't a piece of trash and actually allows offline reading, it's a pretty good deal.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get it for free from school, but it works differently than if you are a paid subscriber... I don't get to create any lists of books or check anything out... I just have to do a search for a book every time I want to look at it, and once I am done with that session, every resets. I find it useful, definitely, but it could be better. I wish they would come out with eReader integration, that would be awesome; it is one thing to view it through the eReader browser... it would be another thing entirely if you could actually read it like any other book on the device.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Fran Conia NotchFran Conia Notch Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Safari Books Online - Products & Subscriptions - Individuals

You do not need to remove the title after one month's reading. You can leave it there for as many months as you like. What Safari really means is that you can only switch out new books once every month. So a month is the minimum time you keep a title on your shelf, not the maximum.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool thanks for the info!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The default when you sign up is the 10 book version

But there is also a cheaper 5 book version which should work for most folks
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I cant speak for the 10 book limited acct I can tell you that the full account is worth it. You can make folders and put the books in the folders created so you can organize them it to categories. I have favorited over 300 books which is nice cause I dont have to go search the site for them. Also the videos are worth the extra $$$ I think. You get videos for the SSCP and CISSP by Shon Harris and lab videos for both as well. There is also a bunch of Cisco videos and labs as well. So I would go for the full acct but thats just me.

Edit: looks like they may have changed the 10 book acct to allow videos now so I would just go for that. They didn't allow the limited acct to access that before from what I saw.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I just found out yesterday that having an army.mil account entitles me to unlimited access to Safari Online. ... I wish I'd known this a half year ago, would have saved me the few hundred I've spent on books this year alone. This comes in very handy.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)