Options

Victory Day August 13th

mykie413mykie413 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have Net+ scheduled for 8/13 but all I can think about is what I'm going to go for next. I have A+ and I'm thinking either CCENT/CCNA then JNCIA and security+ or just doing security+ before getting vendor specifics. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What do you do in your current job and what do you want to be doing? That's not a bad cert path IMO.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I am currently trying to make a career change into IT. I was in restaurant management for many years and currently I am working in construction in the meantime.
  • Options
    I am not 100% tied to any path or field really, I am thinking Network Administration in Enterprises
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Mykie413,networking is a good one,if you are new to IT,i will advice you to start from network+ cert because it will open your eyes to networking concepts.
  • Options
    Yup that's why I already have net+ scheduled for next week and am wondering where to go from here
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yupp get the N+ for a good base and you can build off that and get your CCENT > CCNA. By the time you finish your CCNA you'll know if Cisco networking is for you. It wasnt for me so after I finished my CCNA I just went with the Microsoft side of things.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Give networking a try as i said earlier,you will never regret.Its a cool career.Though peoples opinion differs but give it a try,after your net+ on the 13th,look next to ccent(icnd1),then after icnd2 which will give you CCNA.
    Best of luck
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Essendon wrote: »
    Yupp get the N+ for a good base and you can build off that and get your CCENT > CCNA. By the time you finish your CCNA you'll know if Cisco networking is for you. It wasnt for me so after I finished my CCNA I just went with the Microsoft side of things.

Very good advice here. In my opinion, one of the best things about the CCNA is that even though it is a Cisco exam, employers seem to recognize it as a very good indicator of networking aptitude/knowledge, even if they are not a Cisco shop. Even if you get through your CCNA and decide that it's not for you, your time was not wasted, because you have a better understanding of networks in general.
  • Options
    Even if you get through your CCNA and decide that it's not for you, your time was not wasted, because you have a better understanding of networks in general.

Thanks for the advice, I agree, I was actually thinking of doing CCENT and totally skipping net+. Is security+ a good base cert to have or is it not really all that relevant? I think networking is where I want to head towards but I am not quite sure where some certs fit in. Security+ and Linux+ mainly, I feel are important but should I do them before CCNA?