W3Schools Certifications?

Hello All

Been a long time since I have posted, but good to be back.

Anyone have W3Schools Certs? What is the general opinion about them? Worth it?

I am trying to find a niche in IT, and I am currently leaning towards Web Development, though I have still yet to take a Cisco cert/course (so network engineer may be in the works too).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated on this!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I would go for the CIW certs instead. More recognized, etc.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for the reply. Taking a look at those now. A bit more expensive, but seems more legit? Anyone else have an opinion?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CIW tends to be the route to go out of the two, I've never seen W3S certs requested on a job requirement but I have seen CIW a couple of times. CIW gets more recognition overall out of the two as well.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
    Thanks very much for the info guys. You easily saved me a couple hundred dollars that I would have used towards the certs at W3Schools. I will now refocus on the CIW certs.

Do either of you like the Microsoft certs geared towards web dev?

The 70-515, 70-513, 70-516, 70-519?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

Do either of you like the Microsoft certs geared towards web dev?

The 70-515, 70-513, 70-516, 70-519?

They are in demand as far as the current job market goes. You have to pick your poison for a clean immediate path; Windows with ASP.NET and SQL server or PHP and MySQL with Windows/MAC and maybe Linux/*nix. Where you are in the world will determine your best choice. I suggest checking the ad's to see what has been hot and what is still hot looking for conversions or cross pollination. See where LAMP/WAMP/MAMP is in use in you area versus ASP IIS Siverlight Azure ... As usual there is no end to the Microsoft technologies once you start down that path, all of which end up on the INTERNET somehow. You will probably get drawn into Sharepoint too which is becoming big as several here will tell you.

That is all in addition to the normal cross-platform technologies which probably get explained in your CIW studies. Also you want to give some thought to coding bare naked with something like notepad++ and firebug versus Dreamweaver or MS Visual Studio. VS offers so much in the MS path that it is basically a given if you chose ASP. No matter what you choose your path is not short as certs alone are definitely not enough in the Web world. Normally someone will want to see some of your live work so be prepared to do a few pro bono sites to build a portfolio. I suggest adding learning photoshop into your minor endeavors unless you wish to become strictly a PHP/ASP/SQL back-end person.

HTH. Choose wisely.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • wethreewethree Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have W3Schools Certs? What is the general opinion about them? Worth it?
    Definitely not:

W3Fools ? A W3Schools Intervention
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    wethree wrote: »

Cool link. I've used W3schools as a web design reference for a while, but I am not a professional web developer. Checking out the resources they mentioned, some of them look pretty good.

To the OP, CIW is certainly better recognized (and more in demand) than the w3 certs and would probably be the better option.
    Thank you all! AWESOME information! icon_thumright.gif

I am checking on all the links provided and will start studying for CIW certs.

Any of you guys went through these certs before?

Gonna hit up the CIW Web Foundations Associate cert first, then go from there. After this, may go with the MS certs...but one thing at a time! icon_study.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CIW Web Foundations and Javascript Associate are required for my degree program but I haven't started work on them yet. Just about anyone who's gone through WGU can give you a bit of information on them though. I plan to take one of the pre-assessment tests on the Web Foundations one tomorrow to just see where I am with the information (I literally just started this month). I've got a good feeling that I could probably pass it already with my small background in web design back in high school combined with my current knowledge. Just from looking at some of the learning material involved it appears to be pretty simple. Just basic Networking and other concepts combined with some HTML work and that's about it.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come