Options

70-647 books

My next two exams will be the 70-680 and the 70-647.

I've not started serious study yet but doing some general reading (70-680).

What books are you guys using for the 647 ?

I'm not a big fan of the MS Press, any thoughts on or any other recommendations:

Sybex: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator Study Guide: (Exam 70-647) by Steven Johnson (Paperback - 2 Jan 2009)
Buy new: £39.99 £27.99
MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator Study Guide: Exam 70-647: Amazon.co.uk: Steven Johnson: Books

The Real MCTS/MCITP Exam 70-647 Prep Kit: Independent and Complete Self-Paced Solutions by Anthony Piltzecker (Paperback - 22 Jul 200icon_cool.gif
The Real MCTS/MCITP Exam 70-647 Prep Kit: Independent and Complete Self-Paced Solutions: Amazon.co.uk: Anthony Piltzecker: Books

or would you folk go for:

MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-647): Windows Server Enterprise Administration, 2nd Edition Book/CD Package by David R. Miller, John Policelli, Paul Mancuso and Orin Thomas (Paperback - 5 Jul 2011)
MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-647 : Windows Server Enterprise Administration, 2nd Edition Book/CD Package: Amazon.co.uk: David R. Miller, John Policelli, Paul Mancuso, Orin Thomas, Ian McLean, J.C. Mackin: Books

Comments

• Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I have just finished MCITP Self-Paced Training kit (Exam 70-647) and found the material was okay. I felt it lacked detail in some areas and I had to use technet to get more information.

Overall you start to understand the planning and design requirements for certain scenarios however at the end of the book I felt it necessary to pick up something else which included R2 to get another perspective. I am now reading this:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed: Amazon.co.uk: Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Omar Droubi, Ross Mistry, Chris Amaris: Books

There are others, but a friend gave me the one above so I am reading that rather than purchase a new one, as I am almost ready for the exam, and going through this book as an extra revision exercise.

I think migration from a previous Windows OS to Server 2008 is a key topic, not just for the exam, but for on the job requirements. I am currently involved in a Windows NT4 to Windows Server 2008 R2 migration, and knowing the prerequisites/parameters is a big help.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm using the MSPress book and yeah, it's dry and boring as it's always been. Still, it's only 500pgs and looks to be fairly straight forward so far. I reckon I'll just read it and get the exam out of the way. I'm not finding 647 as rewarding as I was expecting.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I'm using the MSPress book and yeah, it's dry and boring as it's always been. Still, it's only 500pgs and looks to be fairly straight forward so far. I reckon I'll just read it and get the exam out of the way. I'm not finding 647 as rewarding as I was expecting.

This is why you should read TechNet for the 647. There's going to be a TON of info on the exam and TechNet is your best bet.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    This is why you should read TechNet for the 647. There's going to be a TON of info on the exam and TechNet is your best bet.

Yeah, Technet is always the way to go; exams aside, it's one of the best ways of learning in the field as well as labs.