Options

NPS without AD

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone know if you can set up network policy server without active directory in place? I have heard with IAS (the old version of NPS) you could but I don't know about NPS.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hmmmm:

NPS

NPS is a Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) server and proxy in Windows Server 2008. As a RADIUS server, NPS provides authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) services for various types of network access. For authentication and authorization, NPS uses Active Directory to verify user or computer credentials and obtain user or computer account properties when a computer attempts an 802.1X-authenticated connection or a VPN connection.
    I don't think it can authenticate to a local database icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm about 99% sure it requires AD. We have it deployed at the office for our wireless network and I don't remember seeing anything about a local database or accounts.
  • Options
    theshadow1234theshadow1234 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if you can set up network policy server without active directory in place? I have heard with IAS (the old version of NPS) you could but I don't know about NPS.

I've setup NPS with RRAS on a local server configured as a VPN and Router (NAT). I use the VPN to login to 2 internal ADDS domains. The server uses the local database for authentication to access these networks remotely.

Hope this helps. Thanks