Options

Accessing the Cisco Console from an MRV server

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

in preparation for the Switch Exam I just hooked up the MRV terminal server which I got from our old datacenter (48 ports, totally CCIE ready icon_smile.gif ) and the Cisco 2960.

I have telnet access to the MRV now but when I try to get to the Cisco I get this:
InReach:0 >connect port async 1
Unable to connect to port 1

This port is connected to the Cisco via a blue rollover cable (previously used successfully with a DB9 to RJ45 adapter).

Do you have any idea what I need to do to get a connection?
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK. Just in case anybody is facing the same problems, here is how I fixed it for me.

It seems you need a special cable, a Cisco rollover will not work. Through Google I found this link that got a step closer: Xyplex 1600 Resources

However, leaving ports 2 and 7 unconnected is not correct. You need to create a rollover with pins 1 and 8 swaped. It should look like this:
    1 <-> 1
    2 <-> 7
    3 <-> 6
    4 <-> 5
    5 <-> 4
    6 <-> 3
    7 <-> 2
    8 <-> 8

If done correctly you can issue a "show port async X status" which should show CTS as Up and DSR as Down (afaik it's not supported by the Cisco device).

After that I changed the following settings for the port from default:
    - Flow Control to "None"
    - Banner to "None"
    - Disable "AutoHangup"
    - Change Prompt to empty string

With the proper cable and these settings I am now able to get to by Switches icon_smile.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As you already fixed your issue, here's this link for additional information:

Xyplex/iTouch Console Connection Guide

This information may help someone trying to connect a MRV terminal server to a Cisco switch or router

^^^ Yes, I'm trying to intentionally add keywords to this post!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This worked for me! Thanks!!!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I use MRV terminal servers extensively, and I've never had to make a special cable just to connect to Cisco gear. I use a normal rollover cable with the following settings:

- Flow Control: None
    - Autohangup: Disabled
    - DSR Wait: Disabled

I think pins 1 and 8 are used for flow control so I don't think having them flipped would really matter.