TFTP updating IOS

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
Been trying to update the IOS of my 3550 for the past two hours. I've scoured the net for a solution, trying various things, so here I am. Words of wisdom welcome :D

I am able to ping the IP address that the TFTP server is set on (my main ethernet port for my home PC). I keep getting the following...
Switch#ping 192.168.1.5

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.5, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/200/1000 ms
Switch#copy tftp flash
Address or name of remote host [192.168.1.5]?
Source filename [c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.sed.bin]?
Destination filename [c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.sed.bin]?
Accessing tftp://192.168.1.5/c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.sed.bin...
%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.5/c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.sed.bin (Timed out)
2 hours of scouring the internet and can't find anything to help me. Running solarwinds tftp (and yes it's started :P). I have my home router directly connected to the switch, with my PC directly connected to the home router.

The file is in all lower cases, if that's of concern. It's being entered properly (retyped it atleast 10 times so far).

Thoughts / suggestions?

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Any firewall blocking it?
    Is the TFTP server started and running, and listening on the correct interface?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Shutdown windows firewall, did not solve.

TFTP server is started and running. What do you mean by listening on the correct interface? I think I might have an idea what you're getting at, let me explain...

I've gone over this lab I printed out (from subnet192.com) for CCENT. It mentions nothing about setting up an interface on the switch. I don't recall seeing anything on the cisco set for upgrading the 3550 IOS about setting up an interface.

I did however run across something online that mentioned assigning and IP address to the fao/X switch that was connected to it. I don't have the switch cabled directly to my computer atm, I could easily enough. I also tried the steps that site had provided and my switch doesn't allow me to apply an IP address to an fa port.

So I'm a bit lost at the moment, as can be seen ;(

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Shutdown windows firewall, did not solve.

TFTP server is started and running. What do you mean by listening on the correct interface? I think I might have an idea what you're getting at, let me explain...

I've gone over this lab I printed out (from subnet192.com) for CCENT. It mentions nothing about setting up an interface on the switch. I don't recall seeing anything on the cisco set for upgrading the 3550 IOS about setting up an interface.

I did however run across something online that mentioned assigning and IP address to the fao/X switch that was connected to it. I don't have the switch cabled directly to my computer atm, I could easily enough. I also tried the steps that site had provided and my switch doesn't allow me to apply an IP address to an fa port.

So I'm a bit lost at the moment, as can be seen ;(

You shouldn't need to do any of that. You can ping it, so you've got connectivity, and it knows how to get back to the switch, so it's not a routing problem. The TFTP session is timing out, so that usually means firewall, service not running, service not working properly, or not on the right port.

Does the TFTP server show any connections incoming in it's logs? If the traffic is making it to the tftp server, it should show something.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is the file in the tftp root?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, check the security and server bindings tabs on the Solarwinds TFTP server console.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Yeah the file was in there. I'm thinking my windows firewall was blocking it, or I needed to have a direct connection (or both) solved it.

Had a little trouble getting it to boot, but I got it. Now to do this again with my other 3550!

Thanks for tips!
    Forsaken: The traffic wasn't making it to the TFTP server. It was either the fact that I was going through my Verizon FIOS router to my main PC, the windows firewall or both.

Edit: Also remembering that things are cap sensitive helps a lot when trying to delete files :X
    Forsaken: The traffic wasn't making it to the TFTP server. It was either the fact that I was going through my Verizon FIOS router to my main PC, the windows firewall or both.

Edit: Also remembering that things are cap sensitive helps a lot when trying to delete files :X

Your FIOS router probably has one of those cute firewall thingys, and the tftp port wasn't open.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Also, check the security and server bindings tabs on the Solarwinds TFTP server console.

That's what I was referring to about is the TFTP server listening on the correct interface, but we are past this point .

(I should have been more specific in my previous post.)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    So out of being curious I've figured out what the culprit was, and it was Windows firewall. Port triggering for TFTP had already been set up in my FIOS router after inspecting it.

When I turn off my private network windows firewall, I can transfer through TFTP with my FIOS router connected to the switch, and my PC connected into another switch port.

I turn on private network firewall and hello time out.

Thanks again guys!
    So out of being curious I've figured out what the culprit was, and it was Windows firewall. Port triggering for TFTP had already been set up in my FIOS router after inspecting it.

When I turn off my private network windows firewall, I can transfer through TFTP with my FIOS router connected to the switch, and my PC connected into another switch port.

I turn on private network firewall and hello time out.

Thanks again guys!

Yup, they symptoms you're seeing are pretty common. Connectivity itself wasn't an issue because your pings succeeded, so all the way up to layer 3, your connection was good. If you start getting issues above layer 3, it's time to figure out which device is misbehaving, and it's usually going to be the firewall.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So out of being curious I've figured out what the culprit was...

And on the bright side, you generally learn twice as much when things don't work right the first time. This I can say through first hand experience on numerous occasions. icon_cool.gif