Options

VPN via router

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
Guys,

I'm trying to set up a site to site VPN on a ASA 5505.

The connection is set up via both different ISP router which are then connected to my home wireless router on different PCs.

I'm able to ping the internet from both the firewalls do I need to change any of the setting on the router to allow the vpn to connect?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    lon21 wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm trying to set up a site to site VPN on a ASA 5505.

The connection is set up via both different ISP router which are then connected to my home wireless router on different PCs.

I'm able to ping the internet from both the firewalls do I need to change any of the setting on the router to allow the vpn to connect?

Thanks

1. Can you show a picture of your setup?
    2. Can you verify that the ASA's can ping each other currently?

EDIT: See this guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080950890.shtml

For the whole group of VPN guides:

1. www.cisco.com
    2. support
    3. security
    4. asa 5500 series adaptive security appliances
    5. configure
    6. configuration examples and technotes
    7. scroll down the page to the type of VPN you want to setup, or use the "Choose topic" to jump to the type of VPN you want to configure.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    I can't really show a picture as I don't have the software to do so.

I'm basically using GNS3 which has a loopback adapter, ASA5505, and a NIC.
    The setup is so that my laptop goes through the firewall to access the internet (connects to the loopback adapter) (inside) and the NIC (outside) connects to the local adapter which then connects to my home router.

My router has is connected to a cable modem which gives a public ip address and my internal device from my home router are on a 1.0 address. My loopback adapter is on a 5.0 address and I have set up Natting for my laptop to access the internet.

I have the same setup on both home sites, and I would like to setup a VPN between both these Firewalls running on GNS3.

What I don't know is that when I give the peer address do I use the public cable modem address or do I use the 1.0 or 5.0 private address, I'm guessing the public address as its public. If this is the case how would I configure my home router to allow the VPN to start a tunnel with my GNS3 firewall?

Thanks