IPv6 on ICND?

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
Is IPv6 a big subject for the ICND2? I never see a lot of talk or questions about it here on the forum or elsewhere?

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I would know the basics. I'm not sayin I'm just sayin.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i hope there wont be too many questions about it.

i went through the material and it ist not very deep - there is no subnetting or stuff like that.

guess most of it might be about the transition between ip4 and 6 or general questions about reserved/global/loopback addresses...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    I would be sure to know the Key Topics in the Odom book. Know the different address types such as global unicast, unique local, link local, and multicast (make sure you can recognize what all three on based on the hex numbers they start with. I would also be sure to recognize what the new versions of all the routing protocols are.

Enabling a routing protocol on an interface has also changed. The network command is gone and the new command is ipv6 rip name enable on the interface itself.

I would also be familiar with stateful versus stateless DHCP. I would know unicast, multicast, and anycast. You should be able to write out ipv6 addresses using the EUI-64 Format. Finally I would be sure to understand how addresses are assigned out from ICANN. Oh and also make sure you can figure out the prefix based on the subnet mask. Each quartet is 16 bits so just keep that in mind.

If you basically know the gist of that you'll be fine. Based on the objective I wouldn't think the test goes too deep into it. Knowing it really well will guarantee you getting a few questions right.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Know the basics, but it's not a big topic. If you miss all IPv6 questions but nail everything else, you will pass. You do not need to know IPv6 subnetting for the CCNA exam.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.