XP SP3, No Microsoft update?

TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
So last week I was using an image I have at work to setup a new workstation. It is XP with SP3 slip streamed. Went to do automatic updates and was re-directed to You may be unable to access the Windows Update website from Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 if those versions of Windows are not updated to the latest Service Pack which basically says you need SP3 to download updates. Didn't think anything of it. I joined the domain and got the updates from the WSUS server.

Now, I'm doing an XP install for a friend and cannot get the updates. Still re-directs to that page. I even downloaded SP3 from the link and installed it. Still not working. Automatic updates are turned on. They downloaded and installed 5, but that's it. I know every time I've done it before I usually get around 90 updates. I update/reinstalled the Windows Update Agent, but didn't have anychange. Googled Microsoft updates...re-directed. Start -> Windows updates...re-directed.

If you're bored and want to see what I mean, fire up a VM and install XP and don't join a domain, then try to download updates.

Please post if you've found a work around.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    do you see any errors in Event Viewer or C:\windows\windowsupdate.log?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've already tired updating Windows Update Agent.

You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

Try Fix it. If not try:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Copy the above lines into notepad save it as a BAT file (eg FixDLLs.BAT) and run the file.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    you can try microsoft fix it 50202. It will fix many different issues. How do I reset Windows Update components?

I reinstall XP pretty regularly from images, retail versions, and dell oem versions and don't have any issues with updates afterwards. But, I haven't done one in a week or so.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    wrote:
    I reinstall XP pretty regularly from images, retail versions, and dell oem versions and don't have any issues with updates afterwards. But, I haven't done one in a week or so.

Same here, I've never had any issues before. These were the first two times I've had this happen!

After googling the re-direct URL, I can see that it is a recent issue with Microsoft. The oldest post/link I found that was relevant was from July-29th.

No errors in the event log.
    I tried all the above fixes, none of them made any difference.

I'm not an idiot, I've done literally hundereds if not thousands of installs without a hitch. Seems Microsoft has changed something or made a mistake that has yet to be corrected.

I will continue looking for a fix...
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I fixed it last week with the WindowsUpdateagent30-x86.exe from here:
    How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer

I know you said you updated the agent.
  • MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ran into this with 4 workstations last week. One of them I was able to fix by reinstalling SP3, the other three it didn't fix. I've put off fixing those 3 until a better solution comes out. I've seen a number of postings out there, but no solid 100% working answers. I'm hoping that MS comes up with a fix that specifically fixes this shortly.