VTP Modes

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
i'm reading about vtp modes in the odem icnd 2 book.. it says that only vtp transparent mode can use extended vlans (1006-4095). What exactly is the point of this?

Also, just out of curiosity, why does transparent mode show in running config and vlan.dat, and server and client modes only show in vlan.dat?

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    i'm reading about vtp modes in the odem icnd 2 book.. it says that only vtp transparent mode can use extended vlans (1006-4095). What exactly is the point of this?

It allows service providers to extend their network to a greater number of customers.
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Also, just out of curiosity, why does transparent mode show in running config and vlan.dat, and server and client modes only show in vlan.dat?

It is because with Transparent Mode, you can use the extended-range vlan IDs and those are not stored in the vlan database. They are stored in the running-config
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The last time I saw an extended VLAN was on a 100mb metro Ethernet connection at my last place.
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    ok... so you would use extended vlans on a switch in transparent mode so as not to interfere with the normal vlans from the other switches, right?

Good luck on your exam, btw!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Not necessarily. I would look at extended vlans as extras, they would only be used when vlans 1 - 1001 are already used up.

And, thank you!