Failed ICND2 :(

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
Welp, so far, I've failed one of each test... the composite, the ICND1 (but passed that 2nd time) and now the ICND2. Has anyone else done this? I dunno... this whole process has been the most difficult thing ever. Maybe it's that I'm putting too much pressure on myself time-wise and out of necessity I guess.

I had a unique opportunity to capitalize on this time so it wasn't such a total loss but it would have been a miracle had it worked. I'm just starting to get impatient because of this process. I found 100 bucks a few weeks ago icon_cheers.gif and saw there was a voucher for $85 bucks a few days later so I had to think really hard about it because the pressure of the voucher expiration (today) made me take it today since having this is sort of time sensitive (and it would be nice to actually save money)... but I felt ready and knew that the sooner I get this the better my situation can become (hopefully).

It seemed like I was doing OK, but the TIME factor is what killed me on this. [EDITED for disclosure- thanks Chris, if this is better] I had at least X sim(s) and got a sim with only 2 minutes left icon_evil.gif. So after attempting it, probably that plus the last 6-7 or more questions I just clicked away at any answer just to have one but time ran out anyway. Just looking at them can be overwhelming with all the address and varying CIDR numbers (the theory is, that every question is a subnetting question, or so I've heard). Some of the questions you really need to think about and I didn't even realize that you have less time than on the ICND1 until I started, but I thought I'd be ok until about half way through. Should've checked on that.

Well, as down as I am and may sound about it, the fight continues.. I will..I MUST get this done. It's just the whole time vs. money issue that's killing me. Back to the lab icon_arrow.gif

*EDIT: Passed Sept. 29, 2011!! :D

Comments

• lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep after it, the only failure is not completing.
    For what it is worth, I have taken the ICND2 3 times. I am almost ready to go back and attack it, but I wont quit.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gif

Hey JB; I feel your pain. It hurts not passing but at least you have an idea as to what you need to improve upon next time.

Press on JB; press on.icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Sorry to hear that bud. Treat it like a practice exam, you've seen what it's like and you've got a breakdown of what topics let you down. Focus on your weak areas and get back in the saddle straight away. If you can find the money try to go again as soon as possible - what was your score, if you don't mid me asking?

For those questions that seem overwhelming, you just need to break them up into mini statements and mini tasks - although I appreciate that against the clock your brain just doesn't want to let you!!

As for the sims, you probably shouldn't be disclosing how many you had, but anyway how many sims do you think they have up their sleeve? you know exactly what to focus on now, or at least the style and format of the questions.

Keep at it.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Chris_ wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that bud. Treat it like a practice exam, you've seen what it's like and you've got a breakdown of what topics let you down. Focus on your weak areas and get back in the saddle straight away. If you can find the money try to go again as soon as possible - what was your score, if you don't mid me asking?

For those questions that seem overwhelming, you just need to break them up into mini statements and mini tasks - although I appreciate that against the clock your brain just doesn't want to let you!!

As for the sims, you probably shouldn't be disclosing how many you had, but anyway how many sims do you think they have up their sleeve? you know exactly what to focus on now, or at least the style and format of the questions.

Keep at it.

776/825. I guess there might be some areas I could brush up on & perfect, but it seems some things or aspects of these exams are hard to study for at all since there are so many possible scenarios, topics covered and possibilities. These exams mess with you psychologically because of the delivery of the questions. They're tricky enough to trick you into believing the question is harder than it appears, but often the question just might be that sophisticated. That's why it can be difficult to gauge your time. Seems sometimes like you're studying to take the exam rather than to know the material, but there's a crapload of info to know. So much unknown going in.. you don't know what to expect. This process is stressful...

To add, I guess what makes it worse is when the people around you who care know you're taking it and get excited for you and cheer you on with high hopes. Having to tell the bad news doesn't help. I hadn't planned to tell anyone other than if I passed but something came up this week which kind of forced me to tell. But even though it's not really for them it's just frustrating doing this over & over again. Makes plans difficult and is costly in every way!
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    776/825. I guess there might be some areas I could brush up on & perfect, but it seems some things or aspects of these exams are hard to study for at all since there are so many possible scenarios, topics covered and possibilities. These exams mess with you psychologically because of the delivery of the questions. They're tricky enough to trick you into believing the question is harder than it appears, but often the question just might be that sophisticated. That's why it can be difficult to gauge your time. Seems sometimes like you're studying to take the exam rather than to know the material, but there's a crapload of info to know. This process is stressful...
    Indeed. And that's how they separate the truly committed from the braindumpsters. You TRULY have to have a thorough understanding of the material to pass. The third time was the charm for my CCENT and I'm not gonna chance the ICND2 till I've got ACLs, NAT, WANs and the other stuff down like second nature.

It may not seem fair; but it will certainly pay off in the end when you finally have your CCNA certificate in hand.icon_cheers.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    MrRyte wrote: »
    It may not seem fair; but it will certainly pay off in the end when you finally have your CCNA certificate in hand.icon_cheers.gif

This is pretty much the only thing that keeps me going. I certainly hope so.
  • luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback, johnny. i'm studying for the icnd2 exam now as well. just keep at it and you'll get it! everyone great fails a few times before becoming insanely successful icon_cheers.gif it's true!

-l
    luisYme wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback, johnny. i'm studying for the icnd2 exam now as well. just keep at it and you'll get it! everyone great fails a few times before becoming insanely successful icon_cheers.gif it's true!

-l

Cool.. keep us posted on your progress and perhaps we can both look back on this as active CCNAs with a smile. Quite frankly I doubt I'll laugh about it, but at least I'll appreciate where I'll be at that point quite a bit more.

Chris, I noticed in your sig you have CCNP dated for December of this year. That a typo or is that a goal or are you currently one?
  • slushislushi Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My friend took the ICND1 and passed it, studied for the ICND2, but wasn`t quite confident about testing out on it.

He took the 640-802 (1 part exam) and passed with an 898 I believe. You could always try that method. Anyways, good luck with your studying, I`ve failed a few exams before. Just shake it off and you`ll get there! Best wishes!
    slushi wrote: »
    My friend took the ICND1 and passed it, studied for the ICND2, but wasn`t quite confident about testing out on it.

He took the 640-802 (1 part exam) and passed with an 898 I believe. You could always try that method. Anyways, good luck with your studying, I`ve failed a few exams before. Just shake it off and you`ll get there! Best wishes!

That's an option too. If there's one thing I've learned about Cisco, and to use an appropriate analogy, there are many possible routes to the destination - all to be calculated and evaluated - and many factors influence the final decision... but sometimes the best isn't always available or just have a high cost!
  • melcredomelcredo Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's an option too. If there's one thing I've learned about Cisco, and to use an appropriate analogy, there are many possible routes to the destination - all to be calculated and evaluated - and many factors influence the final decision... but sometimes the best isn't always available or just have a high cost!

+1000 on this
    ..... icnd1 then ccna 1 test (less icnd2 questions) might be a good one. thanks
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    check your results and study on the subjects that you were weak. Also, I hope you wrote down everything (you know you were wrong) that you remembered from the test. That would help you.
    melcredo wrote: »
    +1000 on this
    ..... icnd1 then ccna 1 test (less icnd2 questions) might be a good one. thanks

Again, referring to my analogy, the one test option isn't necessarily the save-all either. Since you don't know how the test will be laid out (how the ICND1/2 material is weighted - you might get more ICND2-level questions anyway), it might not be the best option, and because it's double the price of the ICND1/2 you're taking a financial risk also. Again, sooooo many unknowns. Makes for tough decision making!!
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    sorry to hear about that.

i am headed for icnd2 on next tuesday.

less time than on icnd1 but harder questions?

makes this one really tough i guess. what about the passing score? same as icnd1?
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Again, referring to my analogy, the one test option isn't necessarily the save-all either. Since you don't know how the test will be laid out (how the ICND1/2 material is weighted - you might get more ICND2-level questions anyway), it might not be the best option, and because it's double the price of the ICND1/2 you're taking a financial risk also. Again, sooooo many unknowns. Makes for tough decision making!!

Your analogy is valid to the point where Cisco likes to vary each test to mess with you

Just remember that if you know the material well enough, it won't matter. The best thing you can do is to take that test like a robot. Read every question literally and entirely, and give the best answer. I'll tell you, after failing the composite a year ago, I felt like crap, but in my heart I knew I could have done so much more in the study process. You know where you fell short, you have the printout from the test, so go hit those topics and make them as second-nature as your strong areas. You'll pass no problem.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Cool.. keep us posted on your progress and perhaps we can both look back on this as active CCNAs with a smile. Quite frankly I doubt I'll laugh about it, but at least I'll appreciate where I'll be at that point quite a bit more.

Chris, I noticed in your sig you have CCNP dated for December of this year. That a typo or is that a goal or are you currently one?

LOL no typo, I'm just English; that's how we write the date here(the proper way :D ) passed CCNP on 12th July
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • rickinyorkshirerickinyorkshire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chris_ wrote: »
    LOL no typo, I'm just English; that's how we write the date here(the proper way :D ) passed CCNP on 12th July

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    If it's any consolation I actually found taking the Pro level exams easier than the ICND2 (there a few minor exceptions)... I don't get nervous taking these tests any more as I you kind of getting a feeling when you know your good to go with an exam. Also, the ICND1/2 covers a really wide range of topics whereas the pro level exams are a lot more focused. When you nail the ICND2 you will be very prepared to go on with your studies as you will have a solid understanding of subnetting, vlsm, basic IP routing, and ACLs. All things that every other Cisco exam branch off. Best of luck!
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Johnny go for it again without any miss feelings,you will surely get it,some people did it two,three ,four ........ times before they passed it.It makes you to be more grounded on each topic cos you've learn them many times.Best of luck in your next attempt.
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It appears that you are not well prepared for lab simulations. Lab sims kill lot of time if a candidate had not prepared well in advance. Considering huge exam fee, it hurts to retake the exam.

Advice the following:
    a. Take a few more good practice tests (those that you have not yet attempted)
    b. Do some lab exercises, checkout any available CCNA Sims
    c. Read some exam cram notes
    Of course, the above are on top of your regular preparation using course book or any popular certification books, like Cisco Press or Sybex.

Good luck next time!
    Just to follow up, I passed yesterday and the original post was edited. HOWEVER, (and I hope I'm not violating the NDA by addressing this - if so please remove this post or alert me) I mentioned that part of why I failed was because I ran out of time. Well yesterday, I discovered why. The first time I took it, I went in expecting it to be 95 minutes, when actually, the test was set for 75 minutes. I took the exam again yesterday and paid close attention to that specifically.... the PearsonVue Registration printout indeed showed "English, 95 minutes" listed next to "Details" this time again. Then the test was, again, scheduled for 75 minutes! Couldn't this be a big problem for people and expectations about this exam?? I just checked Cisco's site and they show a time range... from 75-90 minutes. "Small" details like that can be critical to an exam like this wouldn't you say? Is this worth complaining about?? Who'd be responsible?