Options

kerx's CCNP Journey - Overcoming Bipolar and ADD to achieve NP Greatness

kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was originally going to start a blog, but decided to start off here.
I'm hoping to use this thread/forum as a tool to keep me on track of getting my CCNA, CCNP certifications.

CAUTION: At some times, this thread may get graphic or violent. Rated NC-17 up to X. Please be advised. :P

Comments

• Options
    +
    | RESOURCES
    +

Resources that I'm using (some stuff is even beyond CCNP level):
    - INE.com All Access Pass
    - INE.com CCIE Audio Part 1
    - Bowler CBT set (Just purchased, and received shipping notification) :D
    - GNS3 for practice labs
    - ROUTE/SWITCH Command Memorizer
    - ~$500 in used Cisco Books from Amazon (from CCNA to CCIE R&S Level)
    - DocCD
    - MNEMOSYNE (http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/)
    - Composition books for handwritten notes (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Composition_book.jpg)
    - gVim for taking notes on the PC (http://www.vim.org/download.php)
    - iPad2 w/ Amazon Kindle App
    - Android phone w/ Amazon Kindle App

(I will put together a list of all the books I have in the future for reference, and track my progress, and feedback of what I think of the book)
  • Options
    So far I've finished the ICND1 and ICND2 INE.com videos, here are the modules in each collection (just in-case you are interested):

+ ICND1:
    http://kerx.dyndns.tv/cisco/inestuff/icnd1.txt

+ ICND2:
    http://kerx.dyndns.tv/cisco/inestuff/icnd2.txt

I'm currently in the process of reading the following book, and testing out each section with GNS3:

CCNA: Fast Pass
    Third Edition
    Author: Todd Lammle
    (Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate: Fast Pass (9780470185711): Todd Lammle: Books)

I'm also going through the following two command guides:

Todd Lammle's CCNA IOS Commands Survival Guide
    Author: Todd Lammle
    (Amazon.com: Todd Lammle's CCNA IOS Commands Survival Guide (9780470175606): Todd Lammle: Books)

CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition)
    Author: Scott Empson
    (Amazon.com: CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition) (9781587201936): Scott Empson: Books)

So far all three books are good. The CCNA Fast Pass book, is really really basic, and gets to be really boring. I'm doing my best to not fall asleep.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I look forward to your progress! If you have any questions or need any help along the way, feel free to reach out to us. :)
  • Options
    Just tossing up a photo I took earlier today, where I do most of my studying.

The room where all the studying happens:

http://kerx.dyndns.tv/cisco/prog/gal/IMG_20110810_154321.jpg

Current Progress: Still going through the 2nd run of the CCNA Fast Pass book, to ensure I don't miss any core foundation concepts, and taking notes again. After this, I will shoot myself in the head if I have to read more about the OSI 7 layers, and what type of cable you need to connect a PC to a PC. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice photo of the study area kerx. I see like most of us, Cisco Press collected quite a bit of your beer or beverage of choice monies. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    ADD and studying don't always mix well, but if you can get into the hyperfocus area of ADD you will be good to go.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    1371313713 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck. Without getting into detail I am in the same situation you are and I can promise you that if you approach your studies in earnest and back off when you have hit either extreme you should be fine. Acknowledge when your manic state takes over and realize that thinking you know the material well enough and actually knowing the material are two different things.

ADD can be taken care of with a strict schedule that without fail has to be followed. Flashcards carried around in your pocket, laptop case, office drawer and car so that no matter where you go you have quick access to material helps out immensely.

I do not want to go into detail about the depth of your bipolar but just be aware that feeling as though you know something and riding a high versus being able to take a practice test or reviews proving you have retained the knowledge is crucial to fulfilling your goals. Also do not go in taking your test if you know you’re having a bad day, if you fail it feels far worse than if you failed while maintaining the feeling the rest of the world considers "normal"

I know for a fact you can do this as I am living proof that even with these challanges it can be done.
  • Options
    13713 wrote: »
    Best of luck. Without getting into detail I am in the same situation you are and I can promise you that if you approach your studies in earnest and back off when you have hit either extreme you should be fine. Acknowledge when your manic state takes over and realize that thinking you know the material well enough and actually knowing the material are two different things.

ADD can be taken care of with a strict schedule that without fail has to be followed. Flashcards carried around in your pocket, laptop case, office drawer and car so that no matter where you go you have quick access to material helps out immensely.

I do not want to go into detail about the depth of your bipolar but just be aware that feeling as though you know something and riding a high versus being able to take a practice test or reviews proving you have retained the knowledge is crucial to fulfilling your goals. Also do not go in taking your test if you know you’re having a bad day, if you fail it feels far worse than if you failed while maintaining the feeling the rest of the world considers "normal"

I know for a fact you can do this as I am living proof that even with these challanges it can be done.

Great advice. I'm glad to hear a success story from someone who goes through that as well. I appreciate your advice regarding flash cards, and that's why I'm currently using the software MNEMOSYNE. I'm a bit of a programmer, so I'm also in the middle of actually coding up my own scripts that will help me as well. It's going to include flash cards, multiple choice, and a unique way of taking notes. I know that the process of filling in the flash cards, multiple choice, etc... is very useful. It's a great way to keep me focused. When I'm in the process of pumping in that data, I tend to keep going on, and reading what I type afterwards to ensure I typed it in correctly. Whereas, reading a book page-after-page, I sometimes find myself just reading the words. After about two or three paragraphs I catch myself and realize that I didn't even grasp the knowledge, I was just reading the words and day-dreaming.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    kerx wrote: »
    Whereas, reading a book page-after-page, I sometimes find myself just reading the words. After about two or three paragraphs I catch myself and realize that I didn't even grasp the knowledge, I was just reading the words and day-dreaming.
    I thought we all did this!?!? Certainly I do.

For what it's worth, I usually watch CBT Nuggets to get a brief overview of topic, read the book and make myself take notes (usually fill a line of notebook paper for every 2 or 3 lines of book text, I write small), then type that up as notes in a Word doc, then create flash cards for review.

By the time I make my flash cards, usually I already know the info icon_cheers.gif