Options

Is this the norm for NOC jobs these days?

boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
Hello Everyone,

It has been sometime since I have posted here, I am officially working back in IT!! Woohoo...

I was poking around, just curious of what jobs come and go week to week and I found this one in the region I live in...

GDH Consulting

I laughed when I read they wanted to pay $22-33k and CCNP was wanted but not required! I guess if you have no experience then it could be ok but man, that seems ridiculous to me. I have been out of IT for about 3 years now but man I get paid way more than this and I don't have a CCNP. Please tell me that isn't the norm these days or is it the norm for NOC jobs?

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Not norm. Ill spit on that company
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    LOL....that's absurd! You could make that much working at wal-mart icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    boyles23 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

It has been sometime since I have posted here, I am officially working back in IT!! Woohoo...

I was poking around, just curious of what jobs come and go week to week and I found this one in the region I live in...

GDH Consulting

I laughed when I read they wanted to pay $22-33k and CCNP was wanted but not required! I guess if you have no experience then it could be ok but man, that seems ridiculous to me. I have been out of IT for about 3 years now but man I get paid way more than this and I don't have a CCNP. Please tell me that isn't the norm these days or is it the norm for NOC jobs?

That's ridiculous. It reminds of when I was looking for work in FL they wanted an MCSE with a CCNP for $30k. lol. Uninformed people run HR.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think this is a case of HR not knowing crap about Market value of IT certs, I think your entry level 1 NOC is $25-40K, ($35-40K w/ experience). Maybe more if you have CCNA and experience, & live in a metro area.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    boyles23 wrote: »

If I saw that salary range for a NOC job, I'd strongly suspect it was actually a helpdesk job that decided to call itself a NOC in order to seem more fancy.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    I think this is a case of HR not knowing crap about Market value of IT certs, I think your entry level 1 NOC is $25-40K, ($35-40K w/ experience). Maybe more if you have CCNA and experience, & live in a metro area.

I'm making 16/hr as level 1 NOC w/ 2 years exp...god I'm underpaid but at least I have a lot of time to study I guess
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    I'm making 16/hr as level 1 NOC w/ 2 years exp...god I'm underpaid but at least I have a lot of time to study I guess

That's pretty typical about $33k/yr no ?
    Do you work in a big city, i.e. NY, Dallas, Chicago, Miami?
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    That's pretty typical about $33k/yr no ?
    Do you work in a big city, i.e. NY, Dallas, Chicago, Miami?

San Francisco. Not a big deal though, if I did desktop support I wouldn't have any time to study at work. Not complaining at all. It's a perfect job for a student.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I saw that salary range for a NOC job, I'd strongly suspect it was actually a helpdesk job that decided to call itself a NOC in order to seem more fancy.

i'd have to agree with you on that one.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can make that delivering pizza's
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    N2IT wrote: »
    You can make that delivering pizza's

You'd make way more delivering pizza. Dominoes drivers starts out at $12/hr....plus all the tips.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked in a NOC in the Chicagoland area. Telecommunications NOC, started out at 20 an hour, 3 and a half years in I was around 26.50. Night shift was 15% extra per hour on base pay. Requirements were an associates degree or equivalent experience.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    I worked in a NOC in the Chicagoland area. Telecommunications NOC, started out at 20 an hour, 3 and a half years in I was around 26.50. Night shift was 15% extra per hour on base pay. Requirements were an associates degree or equivalent experience.

That's pretty decent pay.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I've seen plenty of jobs on craigslist asking for degrees or certs that I don't have and will pay as little as $10 to $16/hr. I just helped get someone into IT with no exp or certs...starting at $38k.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    The posting CLAIMS to be from teksystems. I sent an email response "politely" letting them know about the error in their posting.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ehnde wrote: »
    The posting CLAIMS to be from teksystems. I sent an email response "politely" letting them know about the error in their posting.

Rep +1

Nice one, even if they meant to do it you are calling them out with a red ribbon on top icon_thumright.gif