Options

LinkedIn goes down Facebook Route

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks! i just disabled my social ad settings.icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Settings -> Account -> Manage Social Advertising

Then uncheck the box and save.

Thanks Bokeh! +1 and Rep!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It still amazes me that anyone puts their photos up on places like this at all.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. Although I can understand why people want their picture out there, my personal thinking is that a photo could open you up to all sorts of issues when seeking employment. As much as no one likes to admit it, I think that would leave you open to discrimination (race, age, weight, hair color, appearance, etc.) I've got a LinkedIn Profile, but have avoided putting my picture on it for that reason. For the other privacy reasons, you won't find my pictures on Facebook or Twitter, either.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »

What the above poster said. I did it, so that I can be sure that an employer hires me with no discrimination against my appearance involved assuming he did his/her homework. I rather not waste my time getting interviewed for multiple positions then later get the notices that I did not get the job for other reasons. I would have easily assumed if it has something to do with discrimination, but now I know that the employer has had a chance to see who I was before he interview me. So, that assumption is immediately thrown out of the window the next time I get the notice saying I didn't get the job. I was a little to optimistic, not realizing that my appearance could make a difference until now.
  • Options
    MrSwissCheeseMrSwissCheese Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess I never really thought about it from that perspective. I had always been under the preference that I'd rather NOT have them know what I look like, so I have the ability to impress them when I get there - give me the opportunity to overcome their judgement - if they see a picture and decide against me (because I have a big nose, big ears, 2 chins, whatever).

I guess the other side of the coin is that you probably don't want to be working for someone who would do that in the first place.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    What's really funny, a similar article appeared on the LinkedIn Today headlines-ticker when I logged in to change the setting. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    What's really funny, a similar article appeared on the LinkedIn Today headlines-ticker when I logged in to change the setting. icon_lol.gif

Wow. Thanks, I did the changes yesterday, but apparently that wasn't enough icon_lol.gif +1.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Thanks for the heads up. What I don't like is that we have to read about this info from other sites and not directly from LinkedIn or facebook. I add my photo because it completes the package. It's a professional business photo taken by a photographer and it adds a sense of professionalism and completeness to the profile.

Think about it. When you see any profile on the net, you're more likely to click on it and communicate with the person if there is a presentable photo attached to it. I for one don't like when all I see is a gray shadow as someones profile photo no matter which medium it is. Just seems a little half-assed if you ask me. Could be just my thinking though.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for posting! making changes right now!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Done
    Ahriakin wrote: »

It doesn't amaze me that photos get put up, but be mindful of your picture even more-so than you would with facebook. Put a face to a name but keep it professional. The picture shouldn't be you out at a bar or something silly like that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »

hehhe..I love linkedin. It's simply amazing how the female recruiters try to out glam and outbabe one another with their pictures. Is it derigour for female recruiters to be good looking? Sounds like discrimination to me, but I dont mind really ;)
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    hehhe..I love linkedin. It's simply amazing how the female recruiters try to out glam and outbabe one another with their pictures. Is it derigour for female recruiters to be good looking? Sounds like discrimination to me, but I dont mind really ;)

I must admit, there are some cuties on there. I have no problem at my age letting my eyes do the touching (and my eyes do that a lot). I am man, after all. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

It never does get any further than that. I have yet to have a conversation on LinkedIn that wasn't professional in nature. (Which is why I am allowed a LinkedIn account by my boss at home. She sees the cuties, but she knows there are no shenanagans on my part. icon_cool.gif )
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The picture should be you out at a bar or something silly like that.

You meant to put NOT somewhere in there, right? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I must admit, there are some cuties on there. I have no problem at my age letting my eyes do the touching (and my eyes do that a lot). I am man, after all. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

It never does get any further than that. I have yet to have a conversation on LinkedIn that wasn't professional in nature. (Which is why I am allowed a LinkedIn account by my boss at home. She sees the cuties, but she knows there are no shenanagans on my part. icon_cool.gif )

I get pinged by the hotties about some great jobs which is fun. But Im staying put. Far too much to do and unprofessional to leave.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You meant to put NOT somewhere in there, right? icon_wink.gif

Lol yes, let me fix that.

But I guess the real question depends on what you do. If you own a bar, then maybe thats where your picture should be!
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Lol yes, let me fix that.

But I guess the real question depends on what you do. If you own a bar, then maybe thats where your picture should be!

I actually thought you meant it, because it seems to me that you were trying to say that we need to be true to ourselves. So why post the "fake" picture when it doesn't really represent who you are. Thanks for stopping us there. You had me for a good few hours. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    hehhe..I love linkedin. It's simply amazing how the female recruiters try to out glam and outbabe one another with their pictures. Is it derigour for female recruiters to be good looking?

To be fair, especially with a company like Insight Global, recruiters have to do something to make up for a complete lack of professionalism and integrity. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I actually thought you meant it, because it seems to me that you were trying to say that we need to be true to ourselves. So why post the "fake" picture when it doesn't really represent who you are. Thanks for stopping us there. You had me for a good few hours. icon_lol.gif

Maybe I should stick with that approach to give myself an advantage. Knowing some of the people around here, I need all of the help that I can get!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that !!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good call out! Thanks