Options

What type of workout do you use to gain muscle and lose weight?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am just curious of the different routines.

My current one is pretty simple.

3 days a week I hit the heavy bag. I've boxed around a gym with friends back in highschool and did some Krav Maga (not much) icon_wink.gif

I know all bodies are different but my chest and back are getting huge lol. I have burned some fat especially in the chest and lower back area, not that I had a lot in the lower back, but I can still tell.

I also walk and run, I walk down hills and on flat ground and then sprint up hills as fast as I can. The reason I do this is for two reason. I seem to get better results from this type of interval training and I don't seem to pull or strain as much.

So what type of workouts do you do? What do you think of mine?

I forgot to mention my times and duration.

Bag workout I usually start off really slow hitting around 35% for 3-5 mins. I re stretch and then go for about 15 mins break it up in increments of 2-4 minutes.

When it comes to the walk run thing I usually go 3 miles and end up sprinting a total of 1/2 mile

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was running (doing couch to 5k), but found it was stopping my weightloss. So for now, I am not doing too much, but I will get back into jogging agin in about two months (shin splints and possible stress fracture) so there is a little pain as well. How was the Krav Maga? I've been thinking about taking a class....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I was running (doing couch to 5k), but found it was stopping my weightloss. So for now, I am not doing too much, but I will get back into jogging agin in about two months (shin splints and possible stress fracture) so there is a little pain as well. How was the Krav Maga? I've been thinking about taking a class....

It was extremely functional and applicable to real world Grinch. My daughter is 8 and has been doing it for 2.5 years I believe. She is an orange belt and for an 8 year old she hits extremely hard. This is not a belt factor I must add.

If you lock up with a good place you should be alright.

Strikes we worked on and she mainly works on. Several different elbows. For the kids they call them elbow 1, 2, 3, etc. Punches are hammer throws, jabs, hooks, and palm strikes.

They also teach kicks, but not much,

Then you have the ground element. Nothing like Brazilian Jinjitsu but still some effective ground tactics. Ground game passing guard and mount. Head strikes from the mount position and how to pass guard. They also teach you some neat trick to use your cloths as a weapon and how to kill someone if need be.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I've been getting good results from walking 3-5 times a week and lifting 3-4 times a week. Losing weight is going to be far more about monitoring what you're putting into your body than anything else. You can't outwork bad diet. That been said, if your diet is in check and you are taking in a caloric deficit, then lifting at least twice a week should be your number one priority (more if possible, up to four times). After that, getting in more traditional exercise is the next priority. I walk because it puts less strain on my joints, and it aids in recovering from my lifting.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I don't know what any of you all look like, so this isn't directed at anyone here of course... but... I tend to see heavy set people favor the weights instead of the cardio, I'm 6 foot 1, and weighed in at 187 lbs today. I have never been huge with fat or muscles, but I have had my share of necessary weight loss. I think you have to do one or the other. If you need to lose weight, lose weight, and then go for putting on muscle. In my opinion the guys who try to do both may end up with big strong arms and chest, but they usually have a gut along with it.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hit the local Planet Fitness at least four days a week. My regiment there looks a little like this:

10 minute jog on a treadmill, their 30 minute workout (which has a bunch of weight machines for different weight excercises, this helps break a sweat for sure as you run for a minute between time on each machine) followed by another 5 minute jog on a treadmill to cool down.

I did something a little different last night that I might work into an every other day regiment where instead of doing the 30 minute workout I do their 12-minute abs workout and follow that up with another 10 minute jog on a treadmill.

I just started working out pretty hardcore late last month and I've already dropped 7 pounds in just 2 and a half weeks.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I don't know what any of you all look like, so this isn't directed at anyone here of course... but... I tend to see heavy set people favor the weights instead of the cardio, I'm 6 foot 1, and weighed in at 187 lbs today. I have never been huge with fat or muscles, but I have had my share of necessary weight loss. I think you have to do one or the other. If you need to lose weight, lose weight, and then go for putting on muscle. In my opinion the guys who try to do both may end up with big strong arms and chest, but they usually have a gut along with it.

Hey did you see me the other day lol

Mike that's why I quit lifting and I just hit the bag. It aerobic and anerobic.
  • Options
    I hit the local Planet Fitness at least four days a week. My regiment there looks a little like this:

10 minute jog on a treadmill, their 30 minute workout (which has a bunch of weight machines for different weight excercises, this helps break a sweat for sure as you run for a minute between time on each machine) followed by another 5 minute jog on a treadmill to cool down.

I did something a little different last night that I might work into an every other day regiment where instead of doing the 30 minute workout I do their 12-minute abs workout and follow that up with another 10 minute jog on a treadmill.

I just started working out pretty hardcore late last month and I've already dropped 7 pounds in just 2 and a half weeks.

Nice work keep it up!
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nothing compares to yours. I am not into aerobic exercise. I haven't been to the gym lately, but I'm thin for my size. I don't care what the others said if they think I look just fine. I rather be built, but not Schwarzenegger built though. I'm into weight-lifting, and I want to get into some serious weight-lifting once I settle. My favorite exercise is bench pressing, but because of my body is a little out of proportion, it looks like I would have to work on lateral pulldowns, rows and pull-ups to improve my latissimus dorsi muscles. But I seriously need to pay attention on my legs (quad and ham) since I have been neglecting it for too long.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233

Quite to the contrary, but hey, you train however you want. I'm 5'10 and weigh around 240, so I'm definitely larger than average (large quads/hams/calves), but I don't know anyone that would call me fat. I know what works for me, and I've seen plenty of skinny-fat "joggers" and read tons of research on the positive effects of lifting. You get a slew of metabolic bonuses from putting on muscle through lifting. Cardio has its place; it's great for GPP and giving you more respiratory stamina. However, the large cortisol **** that takes place due to classical cardio is too much of a drawback to make it your prime way of losing fat. And again, all of this is moot if you don't have your diet in check in the first place. The people you speak of are probably the guys who think that they are "entitled" to eat whatever they want because they lift. I would much rather go to the gym and throw heavy things around for an hour than jog for an hour.
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Typically its one or the other. You need to eat a surplus of calories to gain weight and add mass. You shed weight by running a deficit of calories. Also, forget about targeted fat loss because it doesn't exist. Make sure you eat five to six times per day because it will give your body a consistent source of fuel to burn (burn the fat feed the muscle mentality). There are good programs such as Madcows 5x5 that I and many others have had great success on as well as Riptoes program. My lifts went up to 320lb bench and 405lb squat (I'm 5'6") using Madcows program. Insanity from Shaun T. (Beachbody product) is an incredible high intensity interval training (HIIT) regiment that will literally melt pounds off of your frame.

My personal routine is cycling between strength training, power luring, and HIIT. I also incorporate 3 2 hour sessions of San Soo each week. If you're unfamiliar with San Soo it is a combat martial art that is one of the most vicious forms of fighting you'll ever experience...its no rules street fighting where anything goes. My Sifu is a Master of San Soo and a world champion Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu player (Rigan Machado camp) so I get to learn from the best. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I'm very proud of my art :).
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I do insanity 6x a week in the afternoons and running/pushups in the mornings 3x a week. I plan on incorporating weight lifting soon.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    They also teach you some neat trick to use your cloths as a weapon and how to kill someone if need be.

That could come in handy for some of my meetings. Seriously though I recall we had a poster on the CCIE boards, sysadmin, who was posting almost daily and going hard on his lab prep who suddenly stopped posting and we haven't heard from him since for over a year. I think he was doing competition jujitsu in his spare time. I hope he didn't break his neck or something. Seemed rather odd how he just suddenly went off the map permanently.

If you see this sysadmin I hope you are well and drop us a line.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    4 times a week at least 30 - 45 min a day doing cardio (30 is the minimum recommended). 30 - 45 minutes doing combined core training. 30 minutes of muscle building or crossfit (been doing these since before it was called crossfit) type exercises.

In addition I do something everyday that is active for at least 20 minutes. It is a great way to reduce stress and getting the most out of life.

People are in shape have shown to be able to learn new things faster. Has to do with reduced impairment by stress and increased blood flow.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    4 times a week at least 30 - 45 min a day doing cardio (30 is the minimum recommended). 30 - 45 minutes doing combined core training. 30 minutes of muscle building or crossfit (been doing these since before it was called crossfit) type exercises.

In addition I do something everyday that is active for at least 20 minutes. It is a great way to reduce stress and getting the most out of life.

People are in shape have shown to be able to learn new things faster. Has to do with rejk duced impairment by stress and increased blood flow.

That last part you wrote I find interesting. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You have time to work out? :P

I can't run at all because of my feet. Doctor says I'm not supposed to even walk barefoot around my own house. He wants me to put shoes on just to walk 10 feet from my bed to the bathroom! This makes it harder to lose weight.

Swimming is awesome. You won't build muscle mass doing it, but you will get a lot of muscle tone, and weight loss. I wish I had a place to lap swim at. I was in the best shape of my life when I used to swim competitively. Now that I can't run, I wish I could get back into it again.

I have started biking, but it has been hard to find time for it. I can take the kids with me doing it, but then I don't get as good of a workout from it because they can't go as fast.

When I finish building my office, I'm going to build a desk that is high enough for the front end of my bike to under. Then I'm going to get one of those things that turns your regular bike into a stationary bike, with the magnetic resonance adjustable resistance on it. That way I can bike while I'm working. I figure biking on and off during the 8 to 10 hours a day I spend in front of my computer working should really help me lose some weight.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Been doing push ups since I was in 6th grade.

Walk

Bike

Bench Presses

Curling

That's about what I do and it's sporadic. No real set schedule.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    For lifting I follow this program: Wendler's 5/3/1 - Elite FTS

I also for conditioning will run some hill sprints or pick a WOD from Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness.

Big guys with a gut just have a terrible diet, the more muscle you have the more calories your burn in a day. Muscle tissue is the most metabolically active tissue in your body, weight lifting and sprints also affect your body's hormones positively for fat loss.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm normally a runner, but I've been lazy the past few months. I just jumped back on the Couch-to-5K program last week. Once I'm back in shape I usually jog 3 miles Mon/Wed/Fri and bike 3-5 miles Tues/Thurs.

I packed on alot of mass when I lifted in high school, and would love to try it again someday. I just find that since I sit in a chair all day and don't pay alot of attention to my diet, I have to focus more on cardio just to keep the weight off.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My workout: every evening do 3x15 pullups; 3x45 pushups and 2x40 situps and jog 4-5 miles every other day. I used to jog every day but the extreme heat and humidity here in San Antonio make the risk of heat stroke a major concern for me. Of course; there are days that I slack off and days that I'm hellbent on working out to the max, but the overall goal is to lose weight and become more toned. I'd loved to have to definition that Bruce Lee had but I won't kill myself in the process. icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting topic, I've started changing my workouts lately myself.

Two years ago I weighed 347 pound (I'm 6'1''). Through the grace of God and diet and exercise, I lost 161 pounds (this took approximately 19 months). My workouts are all done at home, alternating days of strength training using dumbbells and cardio using an exercise bike.

About 4 months ago I noticed I wasn't really seeing much in the way of progress. I started incorporating different exercises and throwing more bodyweight activities into my strength training days (hanging knee raises, pullups, etc.). Right now I'm working on ways to continue reducing my body fat while still retaining as much lean mass as possible. This is a fine line, and I've found that actually increasing my calories has been beneficial.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to start somewhere and do what you can. You don't need fancy equipment or the latest workout craze. If I can do it, anyone can. I just gave away my "fat" jeans (size 34's) to the Salvation Army. I did keep a pair of my old 50 inch jeans though. Every time I get tempted to let my diet go or any time I start thinking about skipping a workout, I put those on and take a good look. Needless to say, I don't miss many workouts.
  • Options
    I'm also looking into MMA strength/core training as well; can anyone recommend any websites or training guides for that type of stuff?

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    AU5AU5 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gaining muscle while losing weight/burning fat is a tricky game and is hugely related to DIET!

I would find a good lifting routine 3/4 days a week and incorporate sprints instead of jogging.

Just a quick sample off the top of my head:

Monday: Chest/Back
    - Bench Press
    - Pullups
    - Incline Press
    - Barbell Rows
    - Chest Flys
    - Lat Pulldowns/Cable Rows
    - Cable Crossover
    - Deadlift

Tuesday: Abs/Cardio
    - Ab workout
    - High intensity sprint intervals

Wednesday: Bicep/Tricep
    - You can find your favorite moves but I would probably go 3 exercises per muscle group here

Thursday: Sprints and more abs if you want

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
    - Shoulder Press, Dumbell Raises, Side Raises, Kettlebell raises
    - Squats (be careful and use good form), lunges, jump squats

Diet: Not sure about your weight, but if you are busting it in the gym, you are going to need at least 3,000 calories to add good weight. Clean meats (chicken, tuna), good proteins, complex carbs, etc. Try to work in a good Whey protein shake as well.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Working out, diet & suppliments are the magic trifecta. If you are serious follow a body builder regimen.
  • Options
    Maybe we should make this a sticky to show IT noobs that a person doesn't have to be out of shape to have a successful career in IT.....:Dicon_wink.gif

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As for diets:

We eat all meats not just the white meats. Read about the con of the lipid hypothesis and the food pyramid.

Eat less than 100 carbohydrates a day. Eat around 2-3k calories a day and drink lots of water and a couple of low sugar coffees a day (good for the heart and other physiologically needs).

I used to use balanced supplements but have stopped as I get better results without them. Just take a multivitamin.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    MrRyte wrote: »
    Maybe we should make this a sticky to show IT noobs that a person doesn't have to be out of shape to have a successful career in IT.....:Dicon_wink.gif

Awesome lol
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Swim 2-3 times a week. Usually do at least 30-70 laps in a row, but mainly breaststroke with mixed in freestyle.

Bike 0-2 times per week.

Walk every day at work for at least 15 minutes 1-2 times per day.

Jog 0-1 times per week --- usually Couch to 5k

Tennis 2-3 times per week

I need to implement some weights, a more strict diet, and more rigorous exercise almost every day.

I have been interested in martial arts, primarily Wing Chun or Krav Maga, but have yet to do some proper research for a decent school in southern california.

Does Krav Maga require a significant time investment per week, like Wing Chun?

Swimming is the absolute best -- I could feel really anxious or stressed out, and I feel much better after!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    One more thing....

Went from 294 to 257 since Dec of 2010. Didn't really starve myself, but slowly made better eating decisions. For example, if I eat a burger and basically eat bad on a Tuesday, I would eat a salad and make it a point to eat well on Wed and maybe Thursday.

So just wanted to put it out there for our fellow IT brothers and sisters --- you can drop weight without doing anything drastic or doing a diet fad!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dropped 20 pounds when I quit playing World of Warcraft. I mean it like fell off or something, quickly. Come to realize that whole deal of being in front of a monitor at night keeps you awake even though you are exhausted. Well I was going to bed later, snacking more in front of the computer, being lazier did not help my weight much.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do a lot of excersise....

I type about 2500 characters a day...