What traditional degree should a future network engineer pursue?

ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm attending a community college right now knocking out my general education and debating between a few different paths for my bachelors degree. I figure I could do business administration mixed with heavy certs/experience for a good management position.. computer science for an overall good IT degree, or electrical & computer engineering to have extensive hardware knowledge. Would any of the 3 really work in the higher end network jobs, or is a specific one required for top network positions?

Comments

• toshinden5toshinden5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    More computer science or electrical engineering degree should be the best fit, but any of the 3 will do as it relates to technology. I have a degree in EE but I should have gone for computer info system which is computer business.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kasel23 wrote: »
    I'm attending a community college right now knocking out my general education and debating between a few different paths for my bachelors degree. I figure I could do business administration mixed with heavy certs/experience for a good management position.. computer science for an overall good IT degree, or electrical & computer engineering to have extensive hardware knowledge. Would any of the 3 really work in the higher end network jobs, or is a specific one required for top network positions?

I see you are a fellow Jerseyan. In my opinion, you are better off going for a bachelor degree in either network administration or telecommunications engineering. Those degree programs should have at least some network engineering works involved.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a one that interests you :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    yes, look into a Telecommunications degree.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Check out the specific coursework for different programs. The names can be misleading sometimes. One of our state schools has a degree program in Software Engineering where you specialize in either programming, server administration, or networking. They have the CCNA and CCNP academies as part of the program.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    nel wrote: »
    a one that interests you :)

I agree with this. You don't need a specialized engineering or IT degree to be an effective network engineer. Many of the top Engineers I know either don't have a degree or majored in something like Business, Music, Political Science, etc.

Choose a major that interests you and follow it through.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I guess the same could be said for web development. I know very few good web developers who have a formal degree, let alone certifications.

Experience is king, but without the paper (certs and degree) to back it up, then the gatekeepers at HR will never flag you for a pass into an interview, lol.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD