ICND2 Exam objectives 1.0 vs 1.1

CaySpekkoCaySpekko Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I'm new here so forgive me for posting a thread right off, but after searching a few pages of threads back, I didn't find anything pertaining to this.

So I studied for a good while using CBT Nuggets and ExamCram and Invested in TestOut for CCNA. I passed INCD1 with flying colors and was feeling pretty confident about ICND2.

To my surprise I failed with a score of 812.

To my even greater surprise I looked at the exam objectives and they weren't exactly the same as I studied. Apparently I was studying the 1.0 version of the objectives but now they have 1.1

The test itself seemed to be heavy on **** rather than *** and there were no *** questions at all. So I almost feel cheated by the study materials I invested in. Granted, the material I studied did pretty good at preparing me (score of 812 and all) but my real frustration is the lack of study material geared toward the new objectives, and my ignorance for not knowing they changed them (googling ICND2 objectives find the old ones).

So I scheduled for next week, but I need some pointers on study material that will actually help me prepare better for the new version of the test. Thanks!

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CaySpekko wrote: »
    The test itself seemed to be heavy on RSPT rather than SPT and there were no VPN questions at all.

Before you go on blaming the objectives version change, I hope you were studying the right way all along icon_lol.gif since I believe you meant Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), not RSPT. The same goes for SPT.
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Hi everyone, I'm new here so forgive me for posting a thread right off, but after searching a few pages of threads back, I didn't find anything pertaining to this.

So I studied for a good while using CBT Nuggets and ExamCram and Invested in TestOut for CCNA. I passed INCD1 with flying colors and was feeling pretty confident about ICND2.

To my surprise I failed with a score of 812.

To my even greater surprise I looked at the exam objectives and they weren't exactly the same as I studied. Apparently I was studying the 1.0 version of the objectives but now they have 1.1

The test itself seemed to be heavy on RSPT rather than SPT and there were no VPN questions at all. So I almost feel cheated by the study materials I invested in. Granted, the material I studied did pretty good at preparing me (score of 812 and all) but my real frustration is the lack of study material geared toward the new objectives, and my ignorance for not knowing they changed them (googling ICND2 objectives find the old ones).

So I scheduled for next week, but I need some pointers on study material that will actually help me prepare better for the new version of the test. Thanks!

You have two glaring omissions to your study regimen:

1. The Lammle CCNA book
    2. The Odom CCENT/CCNA books

Almost everyone on here used at least one of these in their study, and for good reason (especially the Odom books). Testout isn't bad, I've looked at it before. Did you lab on hardware? Use any simulators (Packet Tracer or GNS3)? Did you read any texts at all? It appears upon first glance that you were trying to pass a very hard exam using pretty much just video training and a cram book, which is most likely a mistake unless you have the experience to back it up.
  • CaySpekkoCaySpekko Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Before you go on blaming the objectives version change, I hope you were studying the right way all along icon_lol.gif since I believe you meant Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), not RSPT. The same goes for SPT.

Maybe that's why I failed... :P

Also, I just double checked the objectives, and I'm not sure why I thought they were any different, but they seem to be the same. Still don't know why I didn't get any *** questions though, which stinks, because troubleshooting *** is what I do all day at work :P
    You have two glaring omissions to your study regimen:

1. The Lammle CCNA book
    2. The Odom CCENT/CCNA books

Almost everyone on here used at least one of these in their study, and for good reason (especially the Odom books). Testout isn't bad, I've looked at it before. Did you lab on hardware? Use any simulators (Packet Tracer or GNS3)? Did you read any texts at all? It appears upon first glance that you were trying to pass a very hard exam using pretty much just video training and a cram book, which is most likely a mistake unless you have the experience to back it up.

Actually I didn't know about these forums till after I failed the test and decided I needed more resources. I took a CCNA certification course in the past but never took the exams, so I mostly just used Nuggets, ExamCram, and TestOut to brush up. I don't lack the hands on experience, we used real routers when I took the class and they have Cisco routers at work that I used while I was studying. Plus I've spend hours and hours in packet tracer and GNS3. My weakness, I'm seeing, is the underlying concepts behind some of the switching and routing technology.

I actually bought the Odom book after reading around on this forum, so I'm going to read up on the parts I'm weak on and try again next Friday.

I wish I new about this forum before, but ah well, we live we learn.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Also, I just double checked the objectives, and I'm not sure why I thought they were any different, but they seem to be the same. Still don't know why I didn't get any VPN questions though, which stinks, because troubleshooting VPN connections is what I do all day at work :P

Also I need to enlighten you on the NDA. You are not suppose to mention anything you did or did not see on the test. That's something I forgot to tell you last night. If you have been following Odom's book, then you would have known about the NDA. We stress this several times to newcomers here as well. I'm not going to say the forbidden word, but whatever you didn't see on the test, you should compare that to the objectives to see if it's listed there. Maybe that tells you why it's not on the test, but you should keep that to yourself. I just took a look at the ICND2 blueprint, and I gotta say I'm still on track with all the resources I have here. You may need to go over the books.
  • CaySpekkoCaySpekko Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also I need to enlighten you on the NDA. You are not suppose to mention anything you did or did not see on the test. That's something I forgot to tell you last night. If you have been following Odom's book, then you would have known about the NDA. We stress this several times to newcomers here as well. I'm not going to say the forbidden word, but whatever you didn't see on the test, you should compare that to the objectives to see if it's listed there. Maybe that tells you why it's not on the test, but you should keep that to yourself. I just took a look at the ICND2 blueprint, and I gotta say I'm still on track with all the resources I have here. You may need to go over the books.

Sorry about that, I fixed it.