Options

Am I about to get canned?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
The service provider I work for as a contractor has just been bought buy a larger service provider....$3 billion deal. I'm supposed to be contract to hire, with my contract ending in November 2011.

Should I start looking for a new job because the company got bought out? I have no stake in working here and am not eligible for unemployment at this point (been here for 3 months). I work in a NOC. Would they likely maintain two different NOCs, or consolidate them?

I don't know where the hell I'd go at this point. I saw a position as a Network Administrator asking for 2 years experience with Windows Server 2003 paying $11/hour....I'm a little upset right now because of the uncertainty.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ehnde wrote: »
    The service provider I work for as a contractor has just been bought buy a larger service provider....$3 billion deal. I'm supposed to be contract to hire, with my contract ending in November 2011.

Should I start looking for a new job because the company got bought out? I have no stake in working here and am not eligible for unemployment at this point (been here for 3 months). I work in a NOC. Would they likely maintain two different NOCs, or consolidate them?

I don't know where the hell I'd go at this point. I saw a position as a Network Administrator asking for 2 years experience with Windows Server 2003 paying $11/hour....I'm a little upset right now because of the uncertainty.

Start looking for a new job. The piecharts with the layoffs were drawn up months ago and you will never see them. There is always some rationalisation when you get bought out. Once you have an offer elsewhere, if you want to stay level with the boss and ask him what the future there is (dont ask at the moment, everyone is doing that)..if you cant get catagoric reassurance that you will be a key part of the new future..leave.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats for seeing the writing on the wall. It is a good time to be on the market right now, you'll find something quicker than you think, just don't settle!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HA. I know exactly where you are talking about.

Good ole Louisville, KY.

I used to work there. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Mishra wrote: »
    HA. I know exactly where you are talking about.

Good ole Louisville, KY.

I used to work there. :)

Looks like I'm safe in the immediate future, but the outlook beyond the next 60 days is not good. I feel employable, though. If it's ok if I ask, what prompted you to leave?

Nationally I don't see it being too difficult to get a job, but Louisville has not been kind to me and the wife. She can't get a job as an LPN in this city because she has "no experience" (30 job apps) and as far as my current education/experience/certs go the job that I have is the highest paying I can get in this area icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like I'm safe in the immediate future, but the outlook beyond the next 60 days is not good. I feel employable, though. If it's ok if I ask, what prompted you to leave?

Nationally I don't see it being too difficult to get a job, but Louisville has not been kind to me and the wife. She can't get a job as an LPN in this city because she has "no experience" (30 job apps) and as far as my current education/experience/certs go the job that I have is the highest paying I can get in this area icon_lol.gif

You may well have to upsticks and relocate. You will incur financial costs doing so as well as emotional costs. Im afraid the free market model of 'going where the work is' really doesn't sit so well when you have a home, kids in school and old folks who you would normally care for that you will have to leave behind. No employer can reimburse you for that. But then the free market really isn't interested in your problems. It will just hire someone else ;) I hope you find something locally.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

I left because I increased my skills 1200% and became a valuable asset to them. I was working 2am and weekends a lot and putting in a lot of time and effort to make the infrastructure better. I was a part of the sysadmin team.

I was WAY underpaid purposely because I didn't have the skills when I started. 2 years later they were still not willing to compensate so I had to leave. Skills were way too valuable for the money.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

It is not the end of the world if it does happen. Life moves on as deep down in your heart and sole you already know this. Just start job hunting, there is that old saying "ones man's trash, is another man's treasure." HAHAH in no way am i saying your trash, and forgive me for not putting it in a better term, but i believe the same goes for business and companies. There is probably 5 ISP looking for NOC talent as week speak in your general area.

There is nothing wrong, devious, or negative in looking towards a brighter future. You can do this privately, obviously without disturbing your co-workers. Your 3 months at that place is justified since it is a contract to hire position and the ISP got bought out. All civilized hiring managers will understand this and possibly give you the same contract to hire position. I see this benefiting you to actually go out there and see whats available.

Once again don't start opening your mouth at work or inviting negative thoughts about the situation. It is apart of life, be professional , positive, and especially and most importantly! be optimistic!

your golden my friend! icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out Pomery's SOC. I know there are a few jobs open there.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    my company is hiring for the NOC now, I'll pm you
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark