Basic Subnetting vs VLSM Subnetting

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
Sorry. I got to rant here. Here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say you are very good at the basic subnetting, and you can master this stuff easy, but you have not been introduced by the VLSM topic yet. Would you say you would have an easy, seamless transition when learning VLSM or you still have to go through the hurdles, understanding how VLSM works, especially with the toughest VLSM questions?

I was trying to explain to someone that I can't just calculate VLSM stuff in my head if I haven't worked on the basic subnetting for a while. I can do the basic just fine, but will take me slightly longer than usual since it has been a while. I don't have job experiences on Cisco. It would take me a whole lot longer for me to do VLSM problems from the memory since I see it as the "next-level" subnetting.

What ya think? In the meantime, can someone gives me a couple of links on VLSM practice just to refresh my mind. Thanks.

Comments

• andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    If you know your subnetting very well ,VLSM should not be a problem,its just a way of using different subnet masks in configuring for a given network, when you are giving any VLSM question,you should consider calculating the highest given host or network first before calculating the lower ones .