Options

Reapply for Position?

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
I just wanted to get some opinions on this scenario.

Background
End of June this year, an internal position was posted for a Windows Server & Exchange engineer. I don't have any Exchange experience, but I met/exceeded all the other criteria so I applied. I had the interview with the manager, and I thought it went really well (in fact, the manager said I was very qualified for the position). The manager said they would get back to me - which they never did. A few weeks ago, the posting was removed so the smart guess was the found someone to fill the position. That's ok.

Just this morning, I was looking at our internal jobs site and guess what, that same position was now posted again. I am still very intrigued by this position (Exchange is something I've been wanting to work with/learn for awhile). Seeing is how the manager said during the interview "I was very qualified" I went ahead and reapplied for it.

That got me thinking, should I have reapplied for it? Yeah, I really like the sound of the position and it's something I'm very interested in. But at the same time, if the manager wouldn't at least tell me "thanks but we found someone more qualified", would this be someone I'd want to work for? Again to clarify, this is an internal job posting, so I'm not talking about applying for a position with a different company (which that I could understand never hearing back from someone).
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Reapply wouldn't hurt.

Try to bump into that manager during lunch hours/coffee breaks/ and discuss it face-to-face. And ask for the latest status.

Every department has their priorities. If you leave your current job for the exchange position, who will be your replacement?...

There is this person in my department who applied for a position in another department...if this person leaves...our department will go down hill. So, they protect our department first before internal transfer (could take up months to train someone).

I personally think it is harder to move up within an organization than find a position at another company.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We both work in different locations so the manager and I are not in the same building. If we were casually bumping in to them would be a good idea.

My boss knows how I feel about my current position, so he is fully aware that I've been applying internally. I've talked with him at great lengths about this. As much as I'd like to think I can't be replaced or the place will fall apart, I know that's further from the truth (even though I'm the only person in charge of the lab/servers).

I agree that it can be harder to move up with an organization than find another position. However, my company did put forth the training for my CISSP, and the SANS certs, so I feel a bit of obligation to stick around for awhile. That being said, if another opportunity comes around that is outside the company and is more challenging, something I'm really interested in or pays me more money, I'm going to look out for myself first. Loyalty only goes so far.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS