2620XM Booting to ROMMON

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
I had an issue over the weekend when I powered up my rack, and brought up the console screen for my 2620XM. I was staring at the ROMMON prompt. I had never altered the config register up to this point. I rebooted my router and the IOS loaded.

Seemed odd for this to happen out of the blue and for it to remedy itself. Or maybe it's not odd? That's what I was hoping to figure out. Any ideas?

Comments

• lynxuslynxus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Possibly bad NVRAM?

has it gone to rommon again at all?
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    lynxus wrote: »
    Possibly bad NVRAM?

has it gone to rommon again at all?

No it hasn't. I was thinking suspect NVRAM but I haven't had the problem occur again, which makes me thing it could be an NVRAM issue. It does load really sluggish overall, I think my 1760's 64D/32F load twice as fast. Not sure if that's because of the IOS I use on my 2620xm vs my 1760's (advsecurity 12.4 vs 12.3).

Just curious if anyone has ran into this problem. Odd that it would out of the blue happen then not happen again.
  • lynxuslynxus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is "odd" but not unheard of.

Ive done updates to 7200's and 6500's before and for some odd reason it would reload into rommon.

Yet simply typing reset to reboot it, It would then proceed to boot fine ( or even typeing "boot" and punching enter )

Ive always wondered why that would let it boot yet it failed to get the image by itself. ( yet its obviously there )

Id just put it down to your typical Cisco oddness and leave it at that unless it starts to do it more often. -- keep it powered up heheh :)
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Get a similar thing with a 1750 when it cold boots.
    Reloads/ boots fine when its warm but first boot of the day in cold weather, straight to rommom.

Maybe a slightly dodgy or dirty contact on the flash simm

(here cold (in winter) is 8*c , warm is 25*c , hot is over 35*C ,very hot 45*C+)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014