Options

How do you study for a cert exam?

Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
Since I'm bored out of my mind at my current job and not gaining any knowledge while I'm here, I want to get back into the cert world and add onto my current certs.

Just a general question to the TechExams.net population - How do you prepare to study for a certification? I mean, when you have bought your books/videos and you are ready to start the video or crack open the book, what is the atmosphere around you? How do you set it? Do you have a room you go to, have a Monster/Red Bull, no music and just concentrate? Do you go to the library and study with no music, no phone calls, etc.?

I know it's a simple stupid question, but for my previous certs, it took a while for me to prepare, get in a mood, and have the right atmosphere. For me, I don't really have a room in the house to study. I usually have to study in the formal dining room, have my Monster, put on the headphones, and watch/listen to the instructor. But even that, I kind of get bored and then start to surf the Internet.....which then takes me off track and then I have to rewind 5 minutes back to remember where I was.

Now that I have a 6 month old to take care of, the atmosphere around me is loud and I'm pulled away by my wife every 5 minutes to do something.

It took me a while to get my certs, but now I'm trying to find an easier way to study. Any advice would greatly help me!

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    We have an office/computer room where I do all of my studying. I usually study with just a cup of coffee and silence. I have a problem with getting on the web too. If I find myself struggling with a really boring topic because I can't stay focused, I'll move to a room with no computer to do my reading. It's just my wife and I for now. But, we have a baby due in 2 weeks, so I have a feeling my study habits will change.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    We have an office/computer room where I do all of my studying. I usually study with just a cup of coffee and silence. I have a problem with getting on the web too. If I find myself struggling with a really boring topic because I can't stay focused, I'll move to a room with no computer to do my reading. It's just my wife and I for now. But, we have a baby due in 2 weeks, so I have a feeling my study habits will change.

I wish there was a way I can setup a web filter on my router so when it's studying time, there are only certain sites I can go. It sucks being off track in your studying....
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I generally pick up a book or two, some vids or labsim, and just power through it. Is some of the material a little dull or stuff I already know? Sure it is! However I just crack my book, lay out on the couch and read. When it comes time to watch vids etc. I just watch them. There is some level of distraction as my wife is usually home when I study and we only have a 1 bedroom apartment. Luckily when I go into study mode, she tries to work on something that's not very distracting. Just comes down to making yourself do the work.

If you find yourself distracted, get to a stopping point (end of chapter, video etc.) and take a break. When you're distracted you're not going to retain nearly as much as you'd like from the material. Best to get up, walk around, grab a snack, or do something else to relax so you can get back on track later.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    If you find yourself distracted, get to a stopping point (end of chapter, video etc.) and take a break. When you're distracted you're not going to retain nearly as much as you'd like from the material. Best to get up, walk around, grab a snack, or do something else to relax so you can get back on track later.

Hypntick, when you get up to take a break, how long is your break? 15-30 min? 1 hour?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hypntick, when you get up to take a break, how long is your break? 15-30 min? 1 hour?

Just depends, if i've been going at it a while (2-3 hours) then i'll take an hour or more. Now if i've been going for 30 minutes to an hour i'll just take a quick 10 minutes to clear my head a bit. I try and study on my lunch hour at work as well, that sometimes works depending on the day of the week. Can barely eat lunch on Monday much less study for an hour. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thats why I like that 50-10-50 method. Just set a oven timer, or timer on the computer for 50 minutes and go at it. When time is up, set it for ten and take a brak. Come back for the next 50 and reset once again. Seems to work at least for me.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Gather all material (books, vids, Kindle, when I get one, etc.), get favorite beverage and snack, and go to a library and get a study room.

I try to stay the hell away from any vid games system, movies, etc. If I study with friends, I study with friends who don't chat, but get things done themselves.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD