Options

Madden NFL 12

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
It has been a while since I play Madden regularly. I hope some of you actually play sports video games, because all I hear is MMORPG games here. icon_lol.gif I only have Madden 09, and it's time for an update since rosters are always changing.

The reason I asked is because I wonder if the lockout will have some major effects on game settings and players' performances in the game. I heard the kickoff is at 35 yards instead of 20 due to the lockout. So I'm not sure if it's worth the buy. I can wait until next year if there is no lockout-negotiation issue next season.

Comments

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    They moved the kickoff from the 30 to the 35. And I'm not sure why the lockout would hurt your gaming experience. If you mean for example they might make the best player in the game 80 overall that's not going to happen. If you want an upgrade to 09 I'd get it.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    They moved the kickoff from the 30 to the 35. And I'm not sure why the lockout would hurt your gaming experience. If you mean for example they might make the best player in the game 80 overall that's not going to happen. If you want an upgrade to 09 I'd get it.

Since they moved the kickoff, I don't want my friends to think I was cheating or anything when we are playing this game the next season once they revert back to the old rules. Also, I wasn't sure if the rosters are legitimate. I know the rosters will be legit for 2011-12 season, but you know that wasn't intended since there were some undesirable negotiation.I don't want to go through some major roster updates once we are back to normal the next season.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Well I don't think they're reverting back to the old rule next year. And roster updates are pretty much inevitable. Even if there wasn't any roster moves that resulted from the lockout (which there are a ton of because of cap issues, the nature of the offseason with free agency, tryouts etc) there are always injuries, trades and cuts that you'll just have to get updates for.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since they moved the kickoff, I don't want my friends to think I was cheating or anything when we are playing this game the next season once they revert back to the old rules. Also, I wasn't sure if the rosters are legitimate. I know the rosters will be legit for 2011-12 season, but you know that wasn't intended since there were some undesirable negotiation.I don't want to go through some major roster updates once we are back to normal the next season.

Even if they aren't, Madden has a history of allowing you to download the correct roster. I haven't played Madded since 08 or 09. I found the NCAA franchise to be more fun to play. (The draft bores me in Madden but I found recruiting to be fun)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roster and rule updates take the Madden guys 5 minutes or so of programming, and then they **** them on XBL. The rosters will always be the latest available as long as you have Xbox Live. Even if the shipped rosters are incorrect, the first time you load the game it will go out and grab the newest ones for you.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Okay. I am aware they allow you to download the latest roster update, but I believe you will only get the latest one for the year you are playing. If I am wrong, then there is no reason for me to buy 2012 if I can go ahead and download the latest roster from the upcoming 2011-12 season on my 2009 version. I'm not home yet, but I haven't turned on my PS3 since the downtime. Please don't start the console war here since it's getting old. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    The last roster updates for the year in question usually come out shortly after the superbowl. I generally buy the game for the new features and additions they put in each year, the new rosters are a nice bonus.

As for your original question, this is not some fly by night operation. EA is a massive company, and Madden is EA Sports golden child. There is no way they would allow the lockout to hurt them. The rosters will be up to date, the new rules will be in effect, and if the league decides to go back on some of the new rules EA will update it. It is as simple as that.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    As for your original question, this is not some fly by night operation. EA is a massive company, and Madden is EA Sports golden child. There is no way they would allow the lockout to hurt them. The rosters will be up to date, the new rules will be in effect, and if the league decides to go back on some of the new rules EA will update it. It is as simple as that.

If you can go back to Madden 2000, you know you would have tough luck getting the updated roster. icon_lol.gif I know EA values Madden more than the other games they have, but I wouldn't say their company is massive. That's just my opinion. I will think about whether I should get it or not if time permits. I would just hate to see the price drops later in the year. How do you guys just go ahead and buy the $60 game every year, and say it's always worth every pennies when the game loses value as weeks go by?
  • Options
    If you can go back to Madden 2000, you know you would have tough luck getting the updated roster. icon_lol.gif I know EA values Madden more than the other games they have, but I wouldn't say their company is massive. That's just my opinion. I will think about whether I should get it or not if time permits. I would just hate to see the price drops later in the year. How do you guys just go ahead and buy the $60 game every year, and say it's always worth every pennies when the game loses value as weeks go by?

EA is currently the No. 1 publisher in Western markets with a 16% segment share.[8]

That's from Wikipedia. Back on topic, the game does not lose any more or less value than any other game. In fact its re playability makes it even more valuable than the average game. I buy it each year because they improve it each year, similar to the reasons I buy sequels to games I like.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Their lockout deal was for 10 years, so there won't be any problems for a while with that.

There is usually about 4-5 updates per season for Madden, last one being around the Superbowl.

If you play in Offline Mode whatever roster you currently have will be the one you use the whole time for that season or franchise. If you play Online, they force you to download the newest roster to be able to play online. I use the latest roster update for my franchise like always.

I don't usually start my franchise mode until about Week 2 as all teams have made their cuts and signings by then. From then on you might see a couple trades/cuts or Free Agent signings at best throughout the season.

Also, players Overall Rating will go up and down with their updates if they play poor or doing great.
  • Options

Wal Mart is giving a 20 dollar Gift card if you pre order it. To me that's like getting it for 40 bucks as anybody in the world can find stuff they need from wal mart.

Wife can get a jumbo box of tampons and 24 pack of **** paper and there is your 20 dollars well spent.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Wal Mart is giving a 20 dollar Gift card if you pre order it. To me that's like getting it for 40 bucks as anybody in the world can find stuff they need from wal mart.

Wife can get a jumbo box of tampons and 24 pack of **** paper and there is your 20 dollars well spent.

That's a frigging sweet deal. Now you got me sold. The funny thing is that I was planning to go shopping at the walmart super center this weekend anyway.

Did you say I can't use the updated roster when playing offline?
  • Options
    That's a frigging sweet deal. Now you got me sold. The funny thing is that I was planning to go shopping at the walmart super center this weekend anyway.

Did you say I can't use the updated roster when playing offline?

Yeah you can use it.

Just save it to your hard drive, then before you start a new offline season or franchise just load those updated rosters you download from Online Play before you start.

I always wait for the first roster update from EA before I start a season or Franchise mode, because there are many changes from when they ship the game and the first week of the season to be made.
  • Options
    Wal-Mart:

Walmart.com: Madden NFL 12 w/ Preorder Exclusive & Bonus* $20 eGift Card (Xbox 360): Top Values in Video Games

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-12-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EAM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313727789&sr=8-1
    Order Madden NFL 12 for the PS3 or Xbox 360 and receive the Amazon exclusive All Rookies Team and All Sophomores Team as well as $20 in Amazon credit good toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com

Amazon seems to have the better deal as of now.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Yeah you can use it.

Just save it to your hard drive, then before you start a new offline season or franchise just load those updated rosters you download from Online Play before you start.

I always wait for the first roster update from EA before I start a season or Franchise mode, because there are many changes from when they ship the game and the first week of the season to be made.

To me I really don't care about this. I'm just looking to play some football. I also do a lot of customizing in my franchise (create some players, do some trading, ect) so it really isn't critical for me anyway. The roster would just get messed up anyway.
  • Options
    Offer from amazon:
    $20 Amazon Credit & Exclusive Pre-order Bonus
    Order Madden NFL 12 for the PS3 or Xbox 360 and receive the Amazon exclusive All Rookies Team and All Sophomores Team as well as $20 in Amazon credit good toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The code to access the exclusive content will be emailed to you the day your order ships. The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
    See more product promotions

Amazon.com: Madden NFL 12: Playstation 3: Video Games

Now who can't find something to blow $20 on on Amazon???

The Hall of Fame edition ($30 more, still get the $20 off) sounds like a pretty good deal as well.
    Autographed Panini Card - Each copy of the Hall of Fame Edition will include one of four exclusive Marshall Faulk trading cards, featuring a personally hand-signed autograph from Marshall himself

Go for the Gold - One solid, 18k gold autographed card has been randomly inserted into one Xbox 360 and one PlayStation 3 copy of the Hall of Fame Edition. The lucky recipients of these two cards will have one of the most valuable cards in Panini history

Madden Ultimate Team - Receive the most prestigious Platinum Pack yet, featuring a combination of 13 NFL Hall of Famers and former Madden NFL cover athletes. All cards feature ratings from each player’s most productive season in the NFL

A card hand signed my Marshall Faulk? That seems worth some bucks.
  • Options
    Hey guys. Are you trying to piss me off? icon_lol.gif I just got suckered by the Walmart deal last night. Don't make me more jealous than I need to be or else I might ended up doing this crash.gif. I just need football entertainment time when the football games are not on tv. I don't need no damn rookies or sophomores, lol.

By the way, I haven't used my online gift card from Walmart, but again I got suckered into this deal since I thought I could print the gift card and use it at any Walmart stores. I never bought anything from walmart online before. I wonder how does that work if I purchase things online that most Walmart stores should have in stock already.

For example, let's say I want to buy bars of soaps, deodorants, and toilet papers. Does the Site to Store option allows you to walk in the store and pick it up right away rather than having to wait for them to create my package and then ship it to store that I selected? If it's the latter, then honestly, I think that's ridiculous. They are wasting money in shippings that way. I like how Best Buy works. Order online, then pick up at the store 15 minutes later.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It has been a while since I play Madden regularly. I hope some of you actually play sports video games, because all I hear is MMORPG games here. icon_lol.gif I only have Madden 09, and it's time for an update since rosters are always changing.

Madden 08 on the PC and Madden 07 on the GameCube. I'm satisfied-- I'm more concerned about the $ and simply being able to play than having the rosters. Besides, I don't play enough to spend the money trying to keep up.

Speaking of something I use to gauge value on games. . . I call it the "movie rule". I take the cost of a two-hour flick at the theatre (ticket minus popcorn, etc.) and divide it by two. That's the per-hour cost I want to get back out of a game. So, with tickets being $9 in my neck of the woods currently, I'd say I'd have to play a $10 game more than two hours before I get back what I've spent on it. That's why I'd hate to spend $50 for Madden now, although I used to do that a long time ago when I had time to kill. (I'd actually be more likely to blow $40 on the latest FIFA game, but that's an entirely different animal.)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Speaking of something I use to gauge value on games. . . I call it the "movie rule". I take the cost of a two-hour flick at the theatre (ticket minus popcorn, etc.) and divide it by two. That's the per-hour cost I want to get back out of a game. So, with tickets being $9 in my neck of the woods currently, I'd say I'd have to play a $10 game more than two hours before I get back what I've spent on it. That's why I'd hate to spend $50 for Madden now, although I used to do that a long time ago when I had time to kill. (I'd actually be more likely to blow $40 on the latest FIFA game, but that's an entirely different animal.)

I do this too, I could easily get 10-15 hours of entertainment out of Madden (What is that, like a season in franchise?). I bought Madden08 a few years ago (in 2008 lol) and I played 40 hours in the first week alone. (Winter break as a student, I miss those days). I easily got my money back out of that.

But in terms of Madden, I look at it like this. Does the new version make vast improvements over the one I have? If not, just start playing the old one again and save the money. Sometimes a version isn't as good as the previous one.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Sometimes a version isn't as good as the previous one.

For example, from Madden 04 to Madden 05 when they took out the ability to make your own plays. I spent easily 100+ hours putting my entire high school football playbook into Madden. Wing T, I formation, Double Wing...good times. Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn, and TJ Duckett in the Wing T was naaasssstttyyyyy.
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    For example, from Madden 04 to Madden 05 when they took out the ability to make your own plays. I spent easily 100+ hours putting my entire high school football playbook into Madden. Wing T, I formation, Double Wing...good times. Michael Vick, Warrick Dunn, and TJ Duckett in the Wing T was naaasssstttyyyyy.

That is exactly where I was going lol
  • Options

Man, you really bring back memories. I can't wait to do all of that when my Madden arrives.

Okay, who's definitely getting Madden 2012? I would like to play online with you guys when I get mine. But let me warm up first, because I'm probably gonna get my ass whupped if I jump right in.
  • Options
    Man, you really bring back memories. I can't wait to do all of that when my Madden arrives.

Okay, who's definitely getting Madden 2012? I would like to play online with you guys when I get mine. But let me warm up first, because I'm probably gonna get my ass whupped if I jump right in.

I've never played online (PS2 never went online), and haven't played in a year or more. What system are you on?
  • Options
    I've never played online (PS2 never went online), and haven't played in a year or more. What system are you on?

PS3. PS2 online gaming sucks by the way.
  • Options
    PS3. PS2 online gaming sucks by the way.

Sweet. We'll have to have a TechExams Bowl!
  • Options
    Sweet. We'll have to have a TechExams Bowl!

I'm touchDOWN! icon_cheers.gif Remind me to revive this thread by September 9ish. That's when my Madden should arrive. I dunno why it takes that long. Like I said, I got suckered. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Looks like some of us got screwed again if we already purchased it. Toys R US may have a better deal if you want $15 instant saving on the game. Well, there were some arguments that said that we're better off going for Walmarts and Amazon deals, because we can get $20 off on our next purchase. Not sure if I should go ahead and cancel my order.
  • Options
    If you have Amazon Prime, you can have it arrive on the release day.
  • Options
    If you have Amazon Prime, you can have it arrive on the release day.

Just cancelled my order. I advised you guys to stay away from Walmart since you may not get the game within 2 days after the release.

I'm gonna go ahead with Amazon since I still have two weeks left of free trial on student Amazon Prime. What kind of subscription do you have with them? I was thinking about renewing my subscription, because I love the free 2-day shipping deal. But the thing is that the free 2-day shipping deal will only lasts 6 months for $35 student amazon prime 1-year subscription. That's some BS.
  • Options

I'm getting it for sure, already pre-ordered it.

I gotta have all the new rookies, new changes to franchise mode and all new changes to the defense.

This years madden has big changes from last years.