Options

Interview for Web Developer-No Experience

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all, I had an initial phone interview for a position as a Web Developer. I received a call back stating that I was one of the top candidates and they scheduled me for another interview. I am very nervous because I have no experience other than school (BA.MIT) and personal programming projects I developed for fun, but I have never done anything web based. I feel intimidated because I checked the company's website and it looks as if the current staff all have extensive IT backgrounds. I have been working as a government accountant for the last 4 years and while I was in school I decided to change my major from accounting to IT. Has anyone else ever had an luck on gaining an entry-level IT position fresh out of college with no real-world IT experience?

Comments

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    A lot of the times, the massive list of qualifications that coworkers state they have may not equal the intelligence or the competence of that employee. Definitely not knocking certs at all, but the point of me saying that is your shouldn't feel intimidated. Just try your best, try to learn as much as possible, as quickly as possible, and let the job play out as it may.

Good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like I bombed my interview icon_cry.gif

I studied so hard and they didn't even ask me not 1 technical question! I was thrown off and very disappointed. Every question pertained to business/management, such as "What style of management do you work best under?" ... That was first time seeking out an IT job so I can't be hard on myself, but is this usual for IT interviews not to ask technical, IT related qestions but rather business/management questions?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes if they were looking for a team leader/stake holder. That is someone that understands business process and requires minimum supervision. If they triggered on your accounting background then that was probably what they were after. Code monkeys (not meant to be derogatory, it is a common term) are easy to find. Someone to interpret higher level process and run with it is not so easy to find.

If they were looking for a designer then they would want to see some sites that you may have done. If they were looking for a developer i.e. php, asp, sql, xml, ajax etc then you might have been hit with a technical interview. It really boils down to the size of the company and if they have been burned before. The next interview if it happens will be technical.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    It looks like I bombed my interview icon_cry.gif

I studied so hard and they didn't even ask me not 1 technical question! I was thrown off and very disappointed. Every question pertained to business/management, such as "What style of management do you work best under?" ... That was first time seeking out an IT job so I can't be hard on myself, but is this usual for IT interviews not to ask technical, IT related qestions but rather business/management questions?

Don't be hard on yourself. Just keep trying. The best thing you can do is keep lining up more interviews! Good luck!icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD