Options

Phones & Tablets

michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
I have 2 cell phones; 1 Blackberry (personal) and (as of today) 1 Android (work) phones, as well as my tablet, which, of course, like 98% of all tablet users, is an iPad. All of which I carry with me almost everywhere I go. My Windows laptop? Safely turned off in the car :)

What does everyone else on TE use for cell phones? Tablets?

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4

Comments

• Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I've got an iPhone and an iPad. Love them both, but there are some things with Android that I like. I've actually been thinking about selling both and switching to Android.

Any thoughts since you've got both?
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    Definitely not an Android expert as I've had it less than 12 hours, but so far:

Like that I can load a WiFi analyzer on there and see the WiFi signals by channel and strength. Super helpful in the IT world.

Like that I have 4G.

Like that I have a mobile hotspot with me. Not sure if I'll use it, but just in case :)

Don't like that I can't search emails on my Exchange/corporate account. Gmail accounts is fine.

I might not know how to do it yet, but I can't get apps on the bottom springboard.

I think highlighting is much easier on iPad (and that's not saying much!).

I didn't start with a fully charged battery, but so far it seems like the battery life isn't as good as the iOS side of the world.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Can't wait to switch from an iPhone! That's for sure.

Looking at WP7 and android. Wife has an android phone and I love it.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An iphone. The tablets hold no appeal to me. A netbook does more for the same size and I'd rather not walk around with anything that can't fit in my pocket.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Motorola Droid (original one)
    HP Touchpad (tablet)
    Macbook (laptop)

I love my Touchpad for the sure fact that I use it for email and internet browsing. It is perfect for that and hasn't let me down. I only still have the Droid as I am waiting on the Pre3 to be released. It has the ability to sync up with the Touchpad and allow me to take calls/texts on the Touchpad. That way I can leave the phone in my pocket and just have the Touchpad out. Would love to replace the Macbook with an Macbook Air, but sadly I am too poor!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Droid X (will be replaced September 8th with Droid Bionic)
    Nook Color (with a dual boot android SD card)
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer with dock
    Gaming laptop
    Gaming desktop
    Pretty much covers everything I need to do lol.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Droid 3
    Ipad 2
    Motorola XOOM
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    An iphone. The tablets hold no appeal to me. A netbook does more for the same size and I'd rather not walk around with anything that can't fit in my pocket.

I guess that makes us twins. I'm not a big fan of tablet yet either.

Please don't laugh but I have the following:

iPhone 3G (plan to upgrade with iPhone 5 soon)

ASUS EeePC 1015PN (I rather have netbook over tablet. I need to type. DUH! But I would definitely get the Macbook Air to replace this if I have the $$$)

15 inches Macbook Pro (Santa Rosa)
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Droid 3
    Ipad 2
    Motorola XOOM

Why the Droid 3 when 2 months would have gotten you the Bionic with better specs and a 4g radio? Unless its a keyboard thing in which case that's the best Qwerty phone you can get on Verizon.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Own phone is an iphone and got an iPad too .. my work laptop is also stored in the car and so is the work Nokia phone, which is forwarded to my private number :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got an iPhone 4 (work took over the contract) a Pre2 (work gave me it but I just use the sim card in the iPhone) and a TouchPad.

I've only had the TouchPad for a few days but so far I'm liking it. Definitely not as much selection as the App store but for browsing/email/pdfs it seems great so far.
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the following for work...

HTC EVO 3D Android Phone - Replaced by Motorola Droid, I kinda miss Verizon now... =\

Blackberry Bold 9700 - for work

Asus EP121 Tablet PC - I LOVE this device. Not only is it light and very responsive (also durable). I can get my job done without having to run back to my office.

Asus 1215N Netbook - Not exactly a tablet but this little guy steps in for longer tasks and console access to switches. Not to mention an 11.5 hour battery life.

Apple iPad - I hate these damn things... =\ I just use it for Pandora now so I don't drain my Windows devices =D

Macbook Pro - For the rare occassions I need to help people with their Mac issues. Kinda acts like a paperweight in my office.

Dell Latitude E6410 - My everyday use laptop for work. Does its job well with an extended battery.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I only have a personal cell phone (Sanyo flip phone I bought in 2007). No tablet/iPad. I do have an iPod touch that I use all the time.

My main reason for not having a smart phone is I don't want to pay for the plans. We get a good discount with Sprint (wife is a teacher and she gets like 25% off), we hardly use the minutes we pay for. Now we do still have a home phone, so most of our calls come to us at the house.

Now if Sprint does get the iPhone we may seriously consider getting them (see the discount above). We both have iPod touches so it would be a natural progression to go the an iPhone.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i currently have a droid 2 and when the contract is up ill just be getting a reg phone and a tablet

i also have a few netbooks that follow me around but they are getting old so i may save up for an air or something similar
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using a Motorola Droid (rooted with CM7) for a cellphone, and I just bought a Asus Transformer a week or so back and I love it. Got the keyboard dock, but I haven't even opened it up and may send it back as I'm getting plenty of battery life from the thing even with heavy use. The phone is hopefully going bye bye in a few weeks, Samsung's apparently announcing some Galaxy S2 phones on 8/29, and hopefully the Verizon one will have 4G/LTE included (and also hopefully better battery life than other 4G phones, but I'm not holding my breath).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    iphone 4 , ipad 1st gen
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    Using a Motorola Droid (rooted with CM7) for a cellphone, and I just bought a Asus Transformer a week or so back and I love it. Got the keyboard dock, but I haven't even opened it up and may send it back as I'm getting plenty of battery life from the thing even with heavy use. The phone is hopefully going bye bye in a few weeks, Samsung's apparently announcing some Galaxy S2 phones on 8/29, and hopefully the Verizon one will have 4G/LTE included (and also hopefully better battery life than other 4G phones, but I'm not holding my breath).

The Verizon version of the S2 already went through the FCC, it has a LTE radio on board. No word yet on battery life, but the fact it has an OLED screen instead of LCD should net it 10+% more battery life than your average 4g phone if calibrated properly (ie using white text on black backgrounds and such).
    Transferred
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    i was thinking about switching from android to webos phone
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm running with the T-Mobile (LG) G2x. Huge upgrade from my first Android phone which was the G1. I have a lot of fun with it and find it pretty useful for Exchange and Google on the go. But aside from that I just play games on it. I still do the vast bulk of my serious work from my laptop. A tablet would be fun but I just can't see it replacing my laptop. Probably just supplementary.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I love my ipad but I use mine a lot and the auto correct that never learns and constant refresh of tabs in Safari is really ticking me off. What I mean with the refresh is due to limited RAM if you select a different tab and then go back, Safari refreshes the page
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I love my ipad but I use mine a lot and the auto correct that never learns and constant refresh of tabs in Safari is really ticking me off. What I mean with the refresh is due to limited RAM if you select a different tab and then go back, Safari refreshes the page

Ugh! The same thing happen on the iphones and ipods. I thought it was annoying too. I hope it's not an expliot just to help the wireless carriers seize the opportunity to pentalize us if we go above the data cap due to all that refreshings. I don't think it will be a problem if the cap is 1GB.
  • Options
    i learned long ago with my droid not to use the stock browser, its most likely the same for iThings
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have a rooted nook color and an iPhone (work). If it weren't for the need to have it for my job, i'd never touch the iPhone. In fact unless i'm expecting something or on-call i'd never turn the phone on. Not a huge fan of cell phones in general.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ya like the rooted nook?