Options

New Cisco Press ICND2 Odom Book

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) (9781587204357): Wendell Odom: Books

Supposed release of 10/17/2011.

Something to keep in mind for those ordering ICND2 books, or looking to order in the near future.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up. icon_thumright.gif +1

Now I feel old. I have the second edition, and I'm still not done with my CCNA. I should be done with it before the release date. I wonder what's going to be the difference.
  • Options
    The link has a description that provides what's been changed in the 3rd edition.
    This new edition has been fully updated to refresh the content, add new exercises, and enhance certain essential topics. The previous single chapter on VLSM and Router Summarization has been completely rewritten and split into two separate chapters. The chapter on IP Access Control Lists has also been completely updated. In addition to these major changes, Wendell Odom has created a series of practice exercises for all three of these topics to help reinforce the concepts and increase computation speed for exam preparation, a cirtical success factor on the CCNA exams. The Numeric Reference Table appendix was also completely revised. In addition to the wealth of updated content, this new edition also includes a series of free hands-on exercises to help you master several real-world configuration activities. These exercises can be performed on the CCNA Network Simulator, ICND2 Lite Edition included for free on the CD-ROM. This software contains twelve free lab exercises, nine skill-builder labs and three complex configuration scenarios. Finally, the practice test has been fully updated to the new Pearson IT Certification Practice Test software, offering a wealth of customization options and reporting features along with several hundred exam-realistic practice questions.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Damn, I also have the second edition. I think I will be a good way through it, probably past all the VLSM stuff by the time the third edition is released.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    wave wrote: »
    Damn, I also have the second edition. I think I will be a good way through it, probably past all the VLSM stuff by the time the third edition is released.

Nice icon you have there under your name :D

You have a PM sitting in your inbox btw.
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Yep I have the second edition as well. I wonder if Safari books has the updated edition.
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    bcall64 wrote: »
    Yep I have the second edition as well. I wonder if Safari books has the updated edition.

Oh 10/17/2011... :)
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SdotLow wrote: »
    The link has a description that provides what's been changed in the 3rd edition.

Oh that?! Psh. There is nothing new here. I was wondering if they are going to remove some of the commands or protocols completely, but I guess not. It sounds fundamentally the same to me.
  • Options
    Oh that?! Psh. There is nothing new here. I was wondering if they are going to remove some of the commands or protocols completely, but I guess not. It sounds fundamentally the same to me.

That would require the exam to be updated, but it's just the book being updated.

From what I've seen on Amazon the 2nd edition book is pretty "meh". I guess they're fixing the problems with it and implementing corrections. Apparently a couple chapters are being completely redone, and the CD's are being redone.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Nice icon you have there under your name :D

Thanks! :P I am very proud!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP