Options

How to get a IT job with no experience?

Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you get a IT job was no experience? Even entry level job requires experience.... This is frustrating. icon_sad.gif

I have a bachelors in IT, still no luck...

Comments

• Options
    EdenEden Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in your shoes 3 years ago. I landed a entry level support job in 08 after searching for 8 months.

It helps if you know people in the industry. I got my foot in the door by applying to many job postings on career builder. I probably applied to hundreds of job postings and got a hand ful of interviews.

I got hired and the company's warehouse was right down the road from me! Corp office a half hour away from my me.

I would give staffing companies a shot if you are having no luck with companies directly interviewing you.

Your lab time at school should count as some experience.

Cheers
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Eden, really appreciate it. :D
  • Options
    kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same with me. I don't have no IT experience and will soon get a bachelor in CIS. I currently work for a large corporation, in the warehouse and I am somewhat close to the warehouse manager. I had a talk to him about wanting to volunteer or do an internship with computers.

As of now, I am getting a few opportunity here and there to work with computers at my job, while maintaining my original job. This is my method for getting some IT experience.

Most of the job I did was basic, a few times a month, and so on. I plan on keeping this up until I finish with my degree, and get certified in CCNA.

Also, this gave me an opportunity to network with the IT guys, luckily I have met all great people.They are all friendly and letting me know much about the system.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have had my first IT job for 2 months now. It's entry level at a Help Desk. I love it and see great opportunity to move up here. I only have an A.S. degree right now though. Working on B.S. in computer science. Just keep looking around. See if you can get on the government contracts or something. And stay sharp on your knowledge. It's very competitive out there.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My first IT job (not officially in IT) was about two years ago. It was through work study at the community college. I also did some volunteering at a small library, troubleshooting windows xp and windows 7 problems. This was about three years ago, I think. The librarian was asking if I wanted to work there but that library was like a day care center. Parents would drop of their kids and leave.

Anyways, try volunteering your services, get more certifications, look for internships. Check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com Next summer, this website will be helpful for looking for internships. I think it would be best to look for small IT consulting companies, starting out.

But what do you want to do in IT?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Just keep on applying for any one you feel you qualified for,you will soon start getting calls,also if you can lay your hands on some certifications as you have some free time now,you will surely get their,don't give up man................
  • Options
    Thanks Andy! I'm trying to get as many certs as possible right now. Reading 10 hours a day...
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say look for an MSP that needs first level call takers. At my place (and many others) they hire people that sometimes have no computer education, but usually have the education yet lack the experience. Not great, but you create the tickets and make sure they go to the right teams. Couple months of that and continued learning should allow you to move around. For perspective, I started looking for jobs 3 months before graduating and it still took me 8 months to find anything. I have about 2 years of part-time experience at the time. Almost at the two year mark at my current company and about a year at my first company.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished my Associates degree in Sys Admin/Networking this month as well as the CCENT. I've been applying around the past couple weeks and now I am starting to get many interviews (one at IBM next Tuesday!!). The most important thing that is getting me these interviews is the fact that I did a six month internship at a local computer shop. Nobody cares about my certification or degree, just the fact that I have some experience. So I would suggest to anyone who wants to break into IT, do some internships whenever and wherever! It was really hard doing seven classes at school and working near full time at the internship from January to June, but I feel this hard work has nearly paid off.

Anyway good luck with everything and keep applying! Don't give up.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I would begin volunteering somewhere. I volunteered at a place that re-factored old computers and gave them to local schools my first year of college.

Maybe ask to volunteer at a local computer repair shop to start out? You will gain experience, resume material, or they may start paying you if you do a good job.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found an internship program at my local community college....ended up turning into a full time job. I'd look for local internships but also keep sending out resumes and it probably wouldn't hurt to call some of the companies as well and talk to the hiring manager.

Good luck!
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    How do you get a IT job was no experience? Even entry level job requires experience.... This is frustrating. icon_sad.gif

I have a bachelors in IT, still no luck...

I was in a similar situation many years ago. You can gain IT volunteer experience, ask friends/family members to refer you to their organization, find job agencies to assist you, etc.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not saying to do what I did, but I was in the same boat 7 years ago..see: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/5251-yet-another-advice-career-building-post.html

I'm not saying do what I did..but I joined the military because I couldn't seem to get experience without having experience already. I had a solid plan in place, and it went great. I just got out a month ago, and I went straight into a great job.

Just my $.02. Keep all options open, but if all else fails..might be worth a thought.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I'm not saying to do what I did, but I was in the same boat 7 years ago..see: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/5251-yet-another-advice-career-building-post.html

I'm not saying do what I did..but I joined the military because I couldn't seem to get experience without having experience already. I had a solid plan in place, and it went great. I just got out a month ago, and I went straight into a great job.

Just my $.02. Keep all options open, but if all else fails..might be worth a thought.

Thanks but no.

I'm trying to get a IT job, not join the military.
  • Options
    So you think the military doesn't have any IT?

Ignorance is bliss..
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Military isn't a bad option but it's definitely not for everyone.

For entry level jobs in my opinion it's all about connections. The more people you know in the industry, the more likely someone will throw a job your way.

I stepped into a Desktop Support job about 3 years ago with 0 experience by just going to a university's IT department and asking if they needed any help.

The current, higher paying, desktop support position I have I got through an alumni of the university I went to. It also looks like I'm about to start a part time sys admin job because I know the IT manager of a medical lab.

The more connections you make, the easier it gets.
  • Options
    So you think the military doesn't have any IT?

Ignorance is bliss..

You can go back to the military if you like it so much, I'm cool off that. I'm like pretty boy floyld mayweather. I want to live my lavish lifestyle in my lavish city not waking in Afghanistan waiting to eat a slice of bread and potatoes.
  • Options
    You can go back to the military if you like it so much, I'm cool off that. I'm like pretty boy floyld mayweather. I want to live my lavish lifestyle in my lavish city not waking in Afghanistan waiting to eat a slice of bread and potatoes.

You just proved my point. You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    You just proved my point. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You just proved my point too. This isn't a military recruitment forum, it's a tech forum son, you're in the wrong forum.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would find a recruiter and go from there. Apply on the boards as well like Dice, Monster, Indeed, etc. Reach out in forums like these for advice and potential job placement.

Make sure your confidence is high and you are ready to take on this challenge.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I would find a recruiter and go from there. Apply on the boards as well like Dice, Monster, Indeed, etc. Reach out in forums like these for advice and potential job placement.

Make sure your confidence is high and you are ready to take on this challenge.

Thanks! I've had a handful of interviews, went to 2nd round interview etc too, still no luck as of yet...
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    You just proved my point too. This isn't a military recruitment forum, it's a tech forum son, you're in the wrong forum.

Where was he trying to recruit you? He said (twice): "I'm not saying do what I did...". He was trying to convey HIS experience. Also, I doubt he's your "son", so why don't we leave the school yard talk on the playground where it belongs?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks! I've had a handful of interviews, went to 2nd round interview etc too, still no luck as of yet...

You need to have your resume looked at by TE members. Sometimes even the simplest of things can get a resume picked from the pile.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where was he trying to recruit you? He said (twice): "I'm not saying do what I did...". He was trying to convey HIS experience. Also, I doubt he's your "son", so why don't we leave the school yard talk on the playground where it belongs?

THIS.

Ridiculous to come at him that way, heh. If you're living such a lavish lifestyle and yet you just finished college unable to find a job in IT.. I would like to know where the lavishness/money comes from.

His view on IT is solid. I'm currently a 25B in the Army myself, fully plan on migrating to a civilian job as soon as I'm done. I should have my CCNP in a few areas by then and 6 years of experience to go along with it.

It was a valid point for sure. Not for everyone, but no attack was needed.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options

Never know, I've seen recruitment in disguise before, I was just protecting myself. I apologize to him privately already.
  • Options
    advanex1 wrote: »
    THIS.

Ridiculous to come at him that way, heh. If you're living such a lavish lifestyle and yet you just finished college unable to find a job in IT.. I would like to know where the lavishness/money comes from.

His view on IT is solid. I'm currently a 25B in the Army myself, fully plan on migrating to a civilian job as soon as I'm done. I should have my CCNP in a few areas by then and 6 years of experience to go along with it.

It was a valid point for sure. Not for everyone, but no attack was needed.

Hate to say it, but I am a spoiled child but I don't want to be spoil for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    You need to have your resume looked at by TE members. Sometimes even the simplest of things can get a resume picked from the pile.

Thanks Essendon, your feedback is always appreciated. I can send my resume to you privately if you are willing to critique it :)
  • Options
    killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Perhaps you need some certificates like A+ and Network+ or other than just an MCP to be given an entry-level position.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can upload your resume on the boards and we can critique....trust, we all have been in your shoes. One thing that has helped me is one word
    NETWORK!!!!!!! icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif

That is all....icon_profileright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    killwar wrote: »
    Perhaps you need some certificates like A+ and Network+ or other than just an MCP to be given an entry-level position.

Going for MCITP right now, don't want A+.