Options

How to get a IT job with no experience?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice guys, started my new job yesterday I'm really excited about this.
  • Options
    CareerChangeITCareerChangeIT Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One options is to find a school that provides you with real world experience and not book experience with some labs ;)
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^No school is really going to give anyone "real world" experience. Unless you are actually working or doing an internship it's just school. The salespeople at ITT Tech and Devry love to make the claims that they offer real world experience, but they don't.

Congrats on the new job, what kind of work is it?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How do you get a IT job was no experience? Even entry level job requires experience.... This is frustrating. icon_sad.gif

I have a bachelors in IT, still no luck...

You should kneel before Forsaken and beg him for a floor sweeping network job.

Seriously though all companies take self starters. Put a good CV together and go at the job boards positively. Leverage any connections you have. Research all the local companies and send some letters in. Do some cold calling.

Plug away and stay positive, because when you get your first job in IT you will *need* to be positive. It was the toughest job I ever had on some levels.
  • Options
    CareerChangeITCareerChangeIT Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astrogeek wrote: »
    ^No school is really going to give anyone "real world" experience. Unless you are actually working or doing an internship it's just school. The salespeople at ITT Tech and Devry love to make the claims that they offer real world experience, but they don't.

Congrats on the new job, what kind of work is it?

There is a school in Chicago and I work for it. It's a computer repair center has been around for 7 years. Many students have completed their internships here after graduating college. There is a guy still doing is "internship" and he graduated with his bachelors about 6 months ago. We just got our approval from Illinois State Board of Education and will soon start teaching our own students. The program is 6 months in length and students work on real computer problems, deal with real customers and work alongside other technicians. After you complete the program you have a reference and something to put on your resume! :)

We came out with the program after noticing that many college graduates doing their internship did bulk of learning from us and not what they paid 40 or 50k for. Some of the graduates don't even know how to take a laptop apart or how to image a drive, or configure an outlook profile to connect to an exchange server. These are all basic requirements to land your first job in the IT field as a tech / helpdesk support.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice guys, started my new job yesterday I'm really excited about this.

What? You posted this on Thursday, the 18th, and started your new job Monday the 22nd?? Am I misunderstanding this? If not, that was some MAGIC advice you garnered from this thread. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Arysta wrote: »
    What? You posted this on Thursday, the 18th, and started your new job Monday the 22nd?? Am I misunderstanding this? If not, that was some MAGIC advice you garnered from this thread. icon_lol.gif

I was looking for a job for a few months. I landed a sweet Jr. Admin job paying 47k. I am so lucky :)