Options

This is Funny

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So part of my night time duties is to install our antivirus product (the monitoring software we use sells Panda at a really cheap price) to customers who sign up for it. Tonight I am working on a computer that they were unable to deploy the product to during the day. Basically, you deploy through a web interface and 25% of the time it will remove the currently installed antivirus. Generally, we just avoid it and manually uninstall the current antivirus. Anyhow, this device reports that it has an antivirus already installed and it needs to be removed. I log onto the machine and can't find the antivirus anywhere. I do a quick Google search for removal information and find out it is a piece of malware! It's a fake antivirus and needs to be removed with an antimalware based tool. I had a good 10 minute laugh about this...
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Yea, fake antivirus crap is all the rage nowadays. Those things can be a pain in the @ss sometimes.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Yea, fake antivirus crap is all the rage nowadays. Those things can be a pain in the @ss sometimes.

Has been for several years. There is an awareness now that there are major security threats out there. Naive users see a blinking red box saying you have a virus and to "click here to fix" and they are all over it.

Many of these will claim to be the free edition, claiming to have found viruses. But you will need to upgrade to the pro version to remove them. Those are the ones that I find "funny". I wonder how many people have paid them $50 to fix what was never there.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mattctrmattctr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Has been for several years. There is an awareness now that there are major security threats out there. Naive users see a blinking red box saying you have a virus and to "click here to fix" and they are all over it.

Many of these will claim to be the free edition, claiming to have found viruses. But you will need to upgrade to the pro version to remove them. Those are the ones that I find "funny". I wonder how many people have paid them $50 to fix what was never there.
    Wait, so I shouldn't click on the blinking red button?