Options

HP - Will you still buy / recommend?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Boss is in a bit of a mini panic with the news about HP. He is now thinking about changing companies. Has this bit of news caused any concern where you work or for your clients?

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you talking about HP canceling it's tablet/mobile line? I don't think it will affect their desktop stuff.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    rsutton wrote: »
    Are you talking about HP canceling it's tablet/mobile line? I don't think it will affect their desktop stuff.

HP is looking to **** their computer business, which may mean the whole thing or breaking off the consumer and business lines, and they are focusing on business software.
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    Their servers are the best tho icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    HP is looking to **** their computer business, which may mean the whole thing or breaking off the consumer and business lines, and they are focusing on business software.

Do you have a link to confirm? I heard they are only cancelling their tablets and phones.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    rsutton wrote: »
    Do you have a link to confirm? I heard they are only cancelling their tablets and phones.

Well Mary Jo is one of the best at digging up rumors. Forbes is saying Samsung is very intrested.

With HP out of the PC business, which vendor becomes Microsoft's new champion? | ZDNet
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't heard where they are cancelling anything. They are going to do a desktop spin off. To me this means just cutting them loose of HP. 3M did this years back with Imation. They cut off the less profitable portions of their company so that they looked more profitable to their investors. They continued sharing ideas and providing support and both companies prospered.

Their systems will still be available somewhere.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    We won't be switching to Dell's anytime soon. Even though they are spinning off their PC line, the reality is it will be like when Lucent spun off Avaya, the product itself will not go away. There are also millions of HP business desktops in the channel, so I wouldn't expect that we are going to run dry for any reason.

I will still recommend the HP Compaq 6200 and the ML370G7 for my business clients.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am constantly reminded of this. Obviously....HP is a lot bigger than Gateway ever was.
    On September 4, 2007 Gateway announced that it had signed a definitive agreement to sell its professional business segment to MPC Corporation. This includes the company's Nashville-based configuration center.[1] MPC subsequently ceased its services and filed for bankruptcy protection in early 2009, leaving Gateway business customers stranded without access to support or warranty services. This incident has caused substantial damage to the Gateway brand
    So 2 years later, and customers are left stranded. I was left with a laptop needing a new motherboard. Thanks to this, it became a paperweight.

I plan on going Lenovo or Dell. Have been wanting to and this is a good excuse.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HP hasn't said they're closing the PC division yet, they're "Exploring strategic alternatives for Personal Systems Group" which could mean any number of outcomes from just having an HP PSG company separate from HP to selling off the brand (think IBM to Lenovo).

At any rate it doesn't sound like it's going to happen over night. Picking up the largest PC manufacturer by revenue isn't something just anyone could do.

Overall HP still makes a good product and it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year or two.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don´t think HP is gonna be getting rid to that division, a spin-off is not equal to selling the business or shutting it down. Now, it does make a sell a whole of a lot easier, but I don´t think HP is loosing money there, yet. Except maybe the tablet fiasco.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    terryfera wrote: »
    HP hasn't said they're closing the PC division yet, they're "Exploring strategic alternatives for Personal Systems Group" which could mean any number of outcomes from just having an HP PSG company separate from HP to selling off the brand (think IBM to Lenovo).

Are you suggesting the public is illiterate? Even from the other media outlets, we were told HP may be closing the PCs business.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you suggesting the public is illiterate? Even from the other media outlets, we were told HP may be closing the PCs business.

People write things to cause panic and increase the number of reads. I for one don't really care, just going to sit back and see what happens.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□

No no no... I'm not saying the public is illiterate; I'm saying that the official HP press releases haven't said anything to the effect of "We're selling PSG, give us $5b and it's yours..." I'm just stating what I gathered from reading the HP press release as opposed to reading stories with headlines saying they are selling for sure.

Yes, they have left it open to the option of selling but they also left open the option of keeping it as is.

HP to Evaluate Strategic Alternatives for Personal Systems Group
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    That's good for other PC business. I wonder if HP will sell their PC to another business like IBM to Lenovo.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I hope they gtfo of networking.

They are the second largest switch seller next to Cisco. My bet is they will double their investment in networking and try to chip away at Cisco's hold.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They are the second largest switch seller next to Cisco. My bet is they will double their investment in networking and try to chip away at Cisco's hold.

Not even Juniper?!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Lizano wrote: »
    I don´t think HP is gonna be getting rid to that division, a spin-off is not equal to selling the business or shutting it down. Now, it does make a sell a whole of a lot easier, but I don´t think HP is loosing money there, yet. Except maybe the tablet fiasco.

They're planning to either spin it off or sell it, whichever makes more sense.

They're not losing money, but the profit margin from that divsion isn't small, nearly half of the operating costs for the entire company come solely from the PC division, so it's not a bad move.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Boss is in a bit of a mini panic with the news about HP. He is now thinking about changing companies. Has this bit of news caused any concern where you work or for your clients?

Considering that I work for one of their direct competitors in this market, no, it hasn't caused us any concern at all. More like amusement!
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not even Juniper?!

On switches, no. ProCurve is the second larger of "switch ports" (ports, not devices) .

Juniper may sell more than ProCurve in Security and R/S, but not in switching.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HP from all accounts I read are not getting rid of their servers...this is all just desktops/laptops and the smartphone/tablets. Every shop I've ever worked at in the NYC area has been a Dell shop where desktops/laptops are concerned. However, the servers were always Compaq and, of course later, HP.

The Compaq/HP Proliant has always been a mainstay throughout my IT career....lmao.

I find it hilarious that I see all these commericals for the WebOS tablets....and then get hit with this news....I'm just laughing my fool head off.