Options

Mixed emotions

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
As some of you know, my fiancee has landed a nice gig up north at one of the more prestigous hospitals. We collectively decided to go in that direction. I will be leaving a position that has it's ups and downs, but nevertheless I will miss it, especially the people.

I am enrolled in WGU Information Technology program emphasis database. I am excited about getting the opportunity to get my degree in IT, something I have always wanted since I graduated with my management degree. The misses will be making 22% more than I am currently making so fiscally it makes sense. I have applied for several jobs and a lot of them have gone to the hiring official, which means something, but not enough.

So as an active member on this forum I just want to let me techexams brothers and sisters know my status.

I am a little nervous at the moment, but I really want to do this for my misses. She hasn't had an easy life nor a comfortable opportunity to go to school. This is her chance to shine so I am putting my career wants and needs at risk.

No regrets this is the decision I made. WGU will fill up sometime and with a little luck I will find a decent position.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Not to sound like an ASCII, but I hope everything works out with you and her and you actually do get married. It's going to suck if you move for her job, can't find a new job for yourself, and she decides to **** you for being unemployed too long.

I didn't care much for Healthcare IT, but maybe you can find something at the hospital she is going to work at. What hospital is it? I might know some people...
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You had me really think about all that management ish just to quit!!!!!!!.

J/K

Congrads on the move.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck to you. I'm sure someone like you will be able to find some desirable work up there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck man. Definitely try and get on at the hospital if that's the kind of work that interests you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Boss called me in.

Asked me what I wanted to do. Mapped out a plan and he is going to run it through upper management and our customers.

The idea is to become a 100% remote and transition from a service manager to a project manager.

If this doesn't show my inexperience I don't know what does.

I'll keep you posted I hope I can stay on with this company and work remote 100%.

Kind regards

Sorry I apologize I meant in experience lol That sounded cocky, believe me I am not.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    Boss called me in.

Asked me what I wanted to do. Mapped out a plan and it going to run it through upper management and our customers.

The idea is to become a 100% remote and transition from a service manager to a project manager.

If this doesn't show my experience I don't know what does.

I'll keep you posted I hope I can stay on with this company but work remote 100%.

Kind regards

What exactly do you do as a Service Manager that can't be done remotely?

That is the way to go though, working from home rocks. I'm at the end of week 3 working from home full time and loving every minute of it.

Very good sign that they came up with the idea. If you want to seal the deal, negotiate occasional travel to work on site, with your employer picking up the tab of course.

For example, I travel to my company HQ once per quarter for 1 to 2 weeks, all expenses paid by the company. Flight, hotel, rental car, meals, etc.

Doing something like that gives you valuable face time.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats; big move man. Keep us informed on this trek!
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gals

It's not 100%, but it goes to show you if you don't ask you will not receive. Thankfully I have a good boss who decided to ask for me. This isn't a 100%, but it's looking pretty solid, I have a good reputation and work like a banshee.

I'll keep you posted as things progress. I should know more Monday morning, again it all depends if it's a good fit for the company and myself.

I really like service management, but I think my only option at this point is project management.

Either way I am thankful. One last thing I meant to say I showed my inexperience, not experience :)
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working from home is the way to go.

Stop wasting gas and time, work from home or everywhere in the world. That is the future. I would immediately trade a 20% pay-cut for working from home. I am working towards such an agreement so that I can spend the winter at a sunny beach with my laptop and some cocktails :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, I hope it works out the way you want it to. As for the prestigious hospital, would it happen to be in Rochester? :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck. I'm pretty sure everything will work out for you!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good for you! Sounds like you have a good plan in place.
  • Options
    ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where at up north (ballpark) if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck in your endeavors, hopefully working from home works out nicely. That would be awesome.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck dude, to both you and the wife. It's a big move and I hope it works out for you guys.
    :study:
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish you all the luck you need N2IT, a guy like you wouldnt have too many issues with finding work just about anywhere.

Does this also mean you are going to let go of the Service Manager gig you have atm?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Sorry for the quick reply half Braindead from a 450 mile drive. Ess if I get sign off I'll be transitioning into a project manager. I like the stress of the transition. Operations are fine but I like tight deadlines.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.
  • Options
    Made it to Rochester. Going to check the city out tomorrow along with the Mayo.

I realllllly hope the PM position comes through :)
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Wish you all the luck you need N2IT, a guy like you wouldnt have too many issues with finding work just about anywhere.

Does this also mean you are going to let go of the Service Manager gig you have atm?

Ess I am okay with Service Management or Project Management. I really want to PM this up and coming Windows 7 project / Windows 2008 deployment project.

There is a slight chance of me being transitioned into a process analyst position for 1-2 years. Basically refining processes and subprocesses along with operating procedures. Not so focused on PMI body of knowledge. More focus on Lean body of knowledge.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PM me if you would like, the wife and I just moved to Rochester a few weeks ago. Maybe we could meet for coffee sometime. She will love the Mayo, it's a great place to work.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, hustle is the name of the game. This didn't happen by accident... you have been working on this your whole life. Congrats and I hope you get what you have earned.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You are a smart hard working guy, I'm sure you will do just fine. Good luck :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    shodown wrote: »
    You had me really think about all that management ish just to quit!!!!!!!.

J/K

Congrads on the move.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    You are a smart hard working guy, I'm sure you will do just fine. Good luck :)

Thanks for the props! You are as well!
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Good luck to you. It sounds like you'll have it made if that remote gig works out. I've made several life changing decisions lately and I hate that feeling of uncertainty. What I've found, though, is that in IT we create our own job security. If you've got knowledge and skills, you'll always find work in this business. Whatever position you find yourself in, there's plenty more just like it in every major city.

I know you guys have put alot of thought into this decision and I'm sure everything will work out for the best in the long run.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Sorry i never answered the question about location. Rochester MN
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Boss called me in.

Asked me what I wanted to do. Mapped out a plan and he is going to run it through upper management and our customers.

If this doesn't show my inexperience I don't know what does.

I'll keep you posted I hope I can stay on with this company and work remote 100%.

Kind regards

Sorry I apologize I meant in experience lol That sounded cocky, believe me I am not.

I think moving with your spouse is the correct decision. I do think you are in a strong position though to negotiate new job terms of engagement with your boss. It really shouldn't be necessary to give up the job you have as I sense you are effective at it and liked by your manager. The PM role would be a better one for a remote worker than a service manager role IMO.

Sweeten the situation for your boss by offering to make expenses paid trips to the office when absolutely required and if there is a hiatus of a couple of weeks go to the office anyway. Being in a position to offer that to your boss as opposed to simply giving up the job shows that you are still committed and want to stay on. Your offer would be a little inconvienient for you on a personal level when you are away from home and I think that would be recognised and appreciated by your boss. After all you have shown you prepared to give the job up outright!

As a homeworker myself I find the face to face once in a while helps my work and is a welcome change from being stuck at home for too long. Being away for a couple of days every two or three weeks is not too bad.

Postscript. However this plays out you are clearly liked by your boss as he is trying to negotiate a way to keep you on. Anyone reading this post should do well to remember how important it is for the relationship between manager and the managed to be positive and amiable. If it isn't, work on it.