Options

going for 70-536 next wednesday!

wayliffwayliff Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for 3 - 4 months using the MS Training kit.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck going down the yellow brick road :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Good Luck! icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    thanks for all the luck!

Unfortunately, I did not pass. My score was 624.
    I suspect I missed 2 - 3 questions. (I needed those many many more to get passing score).

I have a good idea where I got grilled.
    The exam pretty much touched every subject in the MS press book with some of them being much more asked about than others.

I plan to retake within then next 3 weeks.
  • Options
    I should add this.

I think there's probably enough material in the MS Press book to cover the basics\foundation. However it is important to get even more familiar with each of the classes used in the labs or the text book.

Unfortunately memorization is part of the deal.
  • Options
    Sorry about your non-pass. I'm sure you'll nail it next time. :D
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't let it get you down, now you know your weak areas. You will kill it next time; believe it!!!
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Good luck next try and don't give up icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wayliff wrote: »
    thanks for all the luck!

Unfortunately, I did not pass. My score was 624.
    I suspect I missed 2 - 3 questions. (I needed those many many more to get passing score).

I have a good idea where I got grilled.
    The exam pretty much touched every subject in the MS press book with some of them being much more asked about than others.

I plan to retake within then next 3 weeks.

Good luck! Thanks for the info regarding this exam, btw.

As for your comment regarding memorization, I think that is the nature of the beast. With the dev exams you either know it or you don't - most times theory will not help you figure out an answer.
  • Options
    all righty!

scheduled for Sept 20th!
    Here I come!
  • Options
    well today i had my exam and I got grilled big time... The exam felt harder than the one before and they did throw in different question formats. There were multiple choices, case studies and drag and drop. Today I am speechless as I felt confident that I was destroying the exam and instead walked out with a 486...which I felt, and still feel, very bad about. Not giving up but today memorization was all that would have counted...I recognized about 95% of the material. blah...
  • Options
    I think my new study strategy is going to be write code when studying for a particular objective.
    Simply write code for the labs and case studies that are suggested...try to sink the API more into my head...in reality we have intellisense but the exam does not have that - ;)

that combined with additional simulations...

If anyone have any suggestions...I'd appreciate them. Thanks.
  • Options
    I think being able to think in .NET code and APIs is very helpful to passing MS programming cert exams.

I rely a lot on Intellisense (and microsoft.com and dev forums) too, so I would also have a hard time for the same reasons you did.
  • Options
    ok after a lot of idling, I am ready to go and get this goal back on track!

I officially started to revisit material today by studying with a MeasureUp simulation.

Moving to unrelated questions...
    So I wanted to ask, to those with MeasureUp downloaded engine experience, have you had issues with vertical scrolling being pretty hard?

The scroll bar is out of bounds so it is quite hard to use, mouse scrolling does not work and page up and page down scrolling does not work either.
    I've sent them an email asking about it...
    While I was doing my study session, I was, at times, quite more worried about scrolling than the question...found it quite distracting.

Any experiences with other testing engines...better or worse?

Thanks!
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, I think with programming certs you have to know a little about hard coding it in general and not rely on intellisense which can be a big hinderance. Even passing the CIW exam you had to know a few things regarding certain things that would be provided when coding in HTML.

I'm sure you will knock it out the park with your new study techniquesicon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    exam finally scheduled for May 21st! Studying quite hard! :)

Better do it this time!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Today I failed again! 641 was the score.

Ranting...
    I studied for at least 12 weeks 1 to 1.5 hours every morning starting at 5:45AM before work...
    I watched about 30 hours of Pluralsight courseware...from .NET and C# for weenies and up.
    This last week I dedicated myself to simply taking MeasureUp simulations...and did well.

I have decided to no longer pursue this cert nor any other MS developer cert.
    Blah...

icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear that. icon_sad.gif What about the exam did you find unexpected, or did you think that you did very well?
  • Options
    This third time, I thought I was doing great and much better than the 2 before. I literally had only 4 questions I did not know how to resolve.
    I took my time, read the harder questions 2 - 3 times from a to z, made notes on questions that required a lot of scrolling...I used about 100 minutes.
    Up until the last moment, everything felt great. (I was already celebrating - ha ha.)

In terms of content, there was a little bit about everything.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in a computer science program at my school. I have chosen to learn VB and C#. I was curious beyond the classes I have taken, a beginner and intermediate of each language, plus ASP.NET Web applications and .NET Desktop applications, is there any other material you would recommend to use for this exam?
  • Options
    Rosco, you might want to wait until someone who passed gives you advice.

Being that said, I think these following Pluralsight courses were good as a refresher and naturally for learning.
    Some of these courses are quite basic but these might help solidify concepts.

Introduction to C# and .NET
    C# Fundamentals - Part 1
    C# Fundamentals - Part 2
    CLR Fundamentals
    CLR Threading
    Introduction to Cryptography in .NET