Options

$99 HP Touchpad

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
AnandTech - Updated: HP TouchPad Reduced to $99 and $149 (16GB & 32GB)

Curious if anyone else is getting one of these just because. I got mine because you can toss a kindle and nook reader app on there, which makes it cheaper than the original platforms, but with color.

Anyway, may be other threads about this, so delete if it's a repeat.

Comments

• Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Bought 10 of them yesterday flipped all abut 2 for 200 a piece. Made a 800 dollar profit minus the 200.00 for the 2 I'm keeping, so I ended up with 600.00 Net and 2 Touchpads.

TeamAndroid already assembled their team last night and are starting the port process to put the Android OS on them.

Can't beat a 99 dollar Android Tablet
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    also cheaper than a rooted nook

it may be worth it just to get one for browsing the web/reader apps like ya said
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    They are pretty much sold out everywhere now. Online and In-store. Everybody was going crazy for them last night, including myself :D
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Strange. It's not even sold out as of right now. Amazon and Newegg are still selling them at the original price. Only HP is selling it at a discounted price.

If someone can post a link, then that would be great. I'm just curious to see if they are actually sold out or not.
  • Options
    HP is sold out since late yesterday.

Amazon sold out since 3 AM. They are only selling ones ppl are selling for a high price.

Everywhere was pretty much sold out late last night.

OfficeDepot
    OfficeMax
    Staples
    Costco
    Target
    WalMart
    PCrichards.com
    Fry's

The moment the price change reflected on people's sites last night they were gone within a few minutes
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    HP is sold out since late yesterday.

Amazon sold out since 3 AM. They are only selling ones ppl are selling for a high price.

Everywhere was pretty much sold out late last night.

OfficeDepot
    OfficeMax
    Staples
    Costco
    Target
    WalMart
    PCrichards.com
    Fry's

The moment the price change reflected on people's sites last night they were gone within a few minutes

Thanks for the update. Man, I felt bad for the retails that were affected. They shouldn't have assumed the big names will produce positive outcomes.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Strange. It's not even sold out as of right now. Amazon and Newegg are still selling them at the original price. Only HP is selling it at a discounted price.

If someone can post a link, then that would be great. I'm just curious to see if they are actually sold out or not.

The OP posted a thread link that will show you which stores are sold out and which aren't. Many spots, like Amazon, simply haven't lowered the price yet-- those will be the next places to watch.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    dont forget bestbuy is trucking alot of them back to hp they may not have gotten there yet
  • Options
    carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got one of 32gb from walmart this morning for $150. Cant beat the price
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey Te family, best buy just got the ok to sell the hp touchpads for 99. I just bought mine at 630 mtn time. Go get em!

I called earlier in the day and they weren't allow to sell them. And then hp gave them the okay. One per person. My fam bought 3
  • Options
    My best buy said at about 3:30 they were sold out, that they would have more at 10a tomorrow. I'm hoping to be in line.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got sucked it this frenzy today. I'll find out tomorrow after a trip to Best Buy to see how I did.....
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    I got mine because you can toss a kindle and nook reader app on there, which makes it cheaper than the original platforms, but with color.

Where do you get the Kindle and Nook apps?
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Again, looks like this (the price) is for the US market only icon_rolleyes.gif In the UK, the price is still around the £349 (approx $576) mark.
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Current price $999, what a bargin icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It was even funnier at $9,999 yesterday.
  • Options
    Well, the computer section geek at Best Buy lied to me. They were still out, today.

I was tempted to make an issue out of it, but didn't really have time. Thankfully, I don't make lots of computer-related purchases there-- and it will likely stay that way for some time to come.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    all places around here are out so i guess ill just have to save up for a grid 10 or transformer
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd wait and grab the Transformer 2 since it is supposed to be the first tablet running Nvidia's quad core Kal El platform. Rumors suggest an October launch.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    HP.com will be selling all the ones Bestbuy sent back which is around 250k Tablets.

Be on the look out for when they go up, HP said they will be announcing on Twitter when they become available.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How's the browser on this thing? I have an iPad 2 (received as a gift, otherwise I'd still be waiting for a Honeycomb tablet in my price point) and I use the browser 90% of the time (Youtube 9%, random apps 1%). For $99 I'd buy one just for the browser, as long as it's decent.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i got my second one this morning at best buy. they had 12 of the 32 gb for 150
    How's the browser on this thing? I have an iPad 2 (received as a gift, otherwise I'd still be waiting for a Honeycomb tablet in my price point) and I use the browser 90% of the time (Youtube 9%, random apps 1%). For $99 I'd buy one just for the browser, as long as it's decent.

I really like the browser, it has handled everything I have went to. Feels like im on a desktop.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    carwashguy wrote: »
    I really like the browser, it has handled everything I have went to. Feels like im on a desktop.

Are there still some available anywhere?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    HP.com will be selling all the ones Bestbuy sent back which is around 250k Tablets.

Be on the look out for when they go up, HP said they will be announcing on Twitter when they become available.

you can also call them and they will email you when they are ready ... i was told to be quick when i got the email
  • Options
    5:30 central amazon.com has them in stock
  • Options
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Anybody following the Slickdeals thread on this? It's amazing how people are desperate trying to grab one. I was able to place an order for two 16 gigers on HP SMB site. We'll see if they start cancelling Monday morning.
  • Options
    if they sell them all (and i think htey will) i wonder how long till someone ports android to it or makes an emulator for it to run android apps

the hardware is better than most of the other android tabs out there its just the os no one wants
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if they sell them all (and i think htey will) i wonder how long till someone ports android to it or makes an emulator for it to run android apps

the hardware is better than most of the other android tabs out there its just the os no one wants

The group that ported android to the nook color already announced that they were going to start working on this.

If I remember correctly honeycomb has support for the CPU in the touchpad